Salvage title question

1,756 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OE_Ag11
OE_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Im looking at getting a Jeep as a fun toy and daily driver.

I found one with a salvage title, how much should that effect the value and the current owner said he bought it as a salvage title and didnt remember why it was. Is there a way I can find out the reasoning behind the salvage title with the VIN/LP number
aggiepaintrain
AG
run a carfax

drop value by 50%
OE_Ag11
AG
I was reading on the don't ask for Carfax thread and someone there was mentioning that Carfax misses stuff so didn't know if there was a better option to use
aggiepaintrain
AG
it's better than nothing that's for sure.

Pay $20 for a carfax.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Based on my experience, don't do it.

I should of listened to everyone on here and did not. Lost about $3k on the deal at the end of the day when I went to sell it after repairs that weren't mentioned, getting the title in my name, and the inspections to make it road legal.

If it has a current inspection sticker and is road worthy, it may be a different story. Otherwise, be prepared to dump a lot of money into it that you won't get back.
OE_Ag11
AG
It's all current on registration and inspection so it's more if there's still issues hiding. They guys has claimed to have had it for a while. He bought it after it was fixed back up.
Complete Idiot
There is a difference between "fun toy" and "daily driver". If you are going to rely on something every day then it is more important that everything was repaired correctly, both for potential cost of maintenance and repairs but also your own safety. Did airbags deploy? Are airbags and other safety features functional?

If it was a salvage vehicle that has had many miles put on it since salvage repair, and is currently stickered and road legal, then that would make for a good weekend and trail toy. But it's hard to recommend as a daily driver.
OE_Ag11
AG
It's just for me to keep from putting lots of miles on my truck. With it being a Houston Jeep my guess is more to the flood slide. But need to check
powerbelly
AG
OE_Ag11 said:

It's just for me to keep from putting lots of miles on my truck. With it being a Houston Jeep my guess is more to the flood slide. But need to check
This would be my guess.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Post the VIN let's solve the mystery.
OE_Ag11
AG
1j4fA59S23P325506

Also found a really helpful tool if anyone else is looking at jeep
http://www.farkistan.org/votsws.php you put the VIN in there and it generates the Jeep site link to access the build sheet
aggiepaintrain
AG
step one

Damage Report Accident reported
Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision
with another motor vehicle
Moderate rear damage reported
Vehicle towed
Airbags did not deploy

he's had it around 10 months and may have paid $6700 for it, at least that's what he said he paid.

I saw the CL ad, offer $7000 only cause it has a lot of accessories.
OE_Ag11
AG
Thanks for the help.

Im guessing since the air bags didn't deploy wasn't too bad of a wreck. I guess just look at the tires and see if there is any weir wear patterns to at least have a guess at if the frame had been twerked or not.
jerryg79
Mookie
AG
Or they're Takata airbags and they just decided not to deploy.

Getting enough damage to salvage a keep is tough to do.
OE_Ag11
AG
Well another jeep popped up that I like a little better and dont have to worry about any sort of salvage title. Thanks for the help guys. Ill rule 1 on tuesday night if everything goes well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.