Ford Technician - Edge MFT Audio Question (sell/fix)

1,493 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
dummble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2011 Edge Limited with the Sony MFT. It has gone black and is pissing the wife off. No back up camera and no radio.

The dealerships around me are asking for $120 to $130 to diagnose before they will order parts and the fee will not come off of parts or labor.

We were planning on replacing this car in the next 6 months, but i do not think my wife will ride with a bluetooth speaker for 6 months, even though i think it is an awesome idea.

So problems, Do I spend the money with Ford to find out I need $1,000 worth of parts and labor, then pay that so the car can have a radio?

Do I spend $500 on cruthcfield and replace the whole thing with an aftermarket Pioneer that will not work with sync or the backup camera

Does texags doubt my instillation capabilities and let some car audio place put in an aftermarket deck for $1,000

Should I tell her to suck it up and start shopping for cars(this would be a trade in)

Does anyone know a repair place in Houston that can maybe take a look?

Any other thoughts?
Picard
AG
Tell the wife to deal with it and then spend the $1,000 on a nice couch.

You're gonna need it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Delete Sync from any of your phones.

Pull the negative battery terminal off for 20 mins.

Reconnect the terminal and start the car.
dummble
AG
The phone it is paired with is usually not in the area when I am working on it. I have disconnected the positive terminal a few times and disconnected the fuse box. I also did the door open unlock/lock thing too.

does the negative terminal differ from the positive?
n_touch
Try finding one on ebay and changing it out. That year model may not be to expensive and if it does not correct the problem you can put it back on ebay to recoup some of your money.
sts7049
AG
from a safety point of view it makes a huge difference. always disconnect the negative.
dummble
AG
Tried with the negative terminal and the power button seek reset. Still nothing. I am still leaning towards putting an aftermarket system in.

But as far as the ebay rout goes should i get a new screen and head unit, just the head unit or just the screen.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
i think its mostly the ACM that causes the issues.
dummble
AG
I found a place on ebay. Called them up and got the right replacements. They sold me the head unit and screen for $260 shipped. It should get here tomorrow. Ripping the trim and taking the old one out was a breeze.

I will try to remember to take pictures. Fingers crossed
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
dummble said:

I found a place on ebay. Called them up and got the right replacements. They sold me the head unit and screen for $260 shipped. It should get here tomorrow. Ripping the trim and taking the old one out was a breeze.

I will try to remember to take pictures. Fingers crossed
Cool deal. Keep us posted.

dummble
AG
I am terrible about taking pictures. I have two kids and can only work on it when they are distracted in 7 minute spurts.

I got the parts in and decided to try replacing the screen first. I connected everything, turned the Edge on and boom, sync updated and we were in business. The navigation tab was gone though. I connected the old screen, still nothing. decided that we never used the nav and connect the new screen leaving the radio in the box just in case for later.

I buttoned the whole thing back up and decided it was a job done.

But... i also decided there has to be a way to hack the nav back on. turns out the box attached to the back of the screen is called the APIM. And even though the one i got was correct, the navigation was not turned on my Ford as a option for whatever vehicle it came off.

I am thinking I am going to pull the APIM off the old screen and try it out on the working screen. But i am pretty sure it was the APIM that went out and not the HMI.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
APIMs can be reflashed now and in some cases DIY.

Google it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.