Coolant Temp Issue - 2016 F150

13,252 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
Buck Compton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried to turn on my truck this morning, wouldn't start. Engine just turns over until you push the button to stop it again. Popped this screen to me. It's 65 degrees in Dallas, raining, and the truck hasn't been driven in a week as I was out of town.

2016, Lariat FX4, 5.0, 10k Miles, still under warranty

Worthless dealership "can't get to it until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest"... but I had to drive to Oklahoma City today for work. Always at the worst ****ing time.

Everyone think this is just a sensor that failed or something? Any recs on reputable dealerships in Dallas that won't give me the run around?

Just ridiculous. I hate all the damn electronics in these new trucks.

DadAG10
Quote:

Worthless dealership "can't get to it until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest"..
Geez..........everyone I know has a mechanic on call 24/7 for these issues.
Buck Compton
AG
DadAG10 said:

Quote:

Worthless dealership "can't get to it until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest"..
Geez..........everyone I know has a mechanic on call 24/7 for these issues.
No joke. How ridiculous. Something that is pretty clearly warranty (and probably a cheap ass sensor).

Figured maybe someone who had purchased three fords would be a priority to keep happy.
BrazosDog02
AG
Well,.If the trick hasn't been driven Ina week, then it's pretty much impossible for the coolant to be hot. So.....Either sensor or damaged wire. Do you have mice? Any way to find the sensor and at least make sure it's plugged in?
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
The problem is that it's a Ford.

Jk. Kinda. I have a 2015 and it's been the biggest pile of **** I've ever owned. Will be looking to go back to a Tundra or Chevy asap.

And don't even get me started on warranty work. They had my truck 3 weeks for a torque converter. And then wanted to charge me to do a TSB on the transmission when it was still under warranty. Which didn't fix the problem btw.
Buck Compton
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Well,.If the trick hasn't been driven Ina week, then it's pretty much impossible for the coolant to be hot. So.....Either sensor or damaged wire. Do you have mice? Any way to find the sensor and at least make sure it's plugged in?

No mice. Parked in an apartment half the week.

Finally got Ford roadside to come tow it to dealer. They still can't guarantee they'll look at it until Monday. Then they balked at giving me a rental or loaner. I had to ***** until they did.

Not a great experience and haven't had a single other issue like this with previous Fords. Frustrating.
Buck Compton
AG
Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

Jk. Kinda. I have a 2015 and it's been the biggest pile of **** I've ever owned. Will be looking to go back to a Tundra or Chevy asap.

And don't even get me started on warranty work. They had my truck 3 weeks for a torque converter. And then wanted to charge me to do a TSB on the transmission when it was still under warranty. Which didn't fix the problem btw.
Yeah, I'm sure warranty work gets pushed to the back. But three weeks?? Seems like you shouldn't have to make that monthly payment at that point.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Buck Compton said:

Dale Earnhardts Stache said:

Yeah, I'm sure warranty work gets pushed to the back. But three weeks?? Seems like you shouldn't have to make that monthly payment at that point.

To say that I was irate would be a bit of an understatement. They put me in a rental but it was a car so I couldn't pull the boat to the lake. I finally got them to put me in a truck. Thought they were gonna give me one off the lot but it was a rental so no hitch.

Hopefully yours is a quick fix. Best of luck.
Silvy
AG
A new sensor only costs $25.
Buck Compton
AG
silverado_lover said:

A new sensor only costs $25.
For a GM... which is surprising it's so cheap considering I spent a ton of money on my old Silverado because the electrical systems were so janky. Thousands.

The big problem is I had to drive 300 miles today for work and already missed a meeting.

At least those miles are going on their loaner. There's also the principle of the matter - that it's a one year old truck and shouldn't be having these problems.
Silvy
AG
Must've had an '07-'13 and I doubt it left you stranded with 10k miles.

And it seems you missed the inferred/obligatory "LS swap" being that's the coolant temp sensor for the LS1.
Buck Compton
AG
silverado_lover said:

Must've had an '07-'13 and I doubt it left you stranded with 10k miles.

And it seems you missed the inferred/obligatory "LS swap" being that's the coolant temp sensor for the LS1.

Yep! 2008.

And I 100% missed that. Hah, half a mind to try Toyota.
TexAg1987
Not encouraging....

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/engine-coolant-overtemperature-new-2016-f150-wont-start-367250/
Buck Compton
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Not encouraging....

https://www.f150forum.com/f12/engine-coolant-overtemperature-new-2016-f150-wont-start-367250/
Yep, that's all I could find as well. If I'm out of my truck for 7 weeks then they will find a way to compensate me more than just through a loaner truck (which I guarantee won't be as nice).
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Throttle body went out again yesterday. This will be the 4th time my pickup has been in the shop. To say that this thing is a heaping pile of **** would be an understatement.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Haven't had a single issue with my '15 Ecoboost truck (knock on wood). Anecdotal evidence is not a great way to judge a brand. I'm not saying Fords are the best or even that great but most new vehicles work most of the time. Sorry about your bad luck.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Out of curiousity, are both trucks with issues 2.7L EB?
saltydog13
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Out of curiousity, are both trucks with issues 2.7L EB?

OP has 5.0 v8
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hmmm missed that part. Was trying to see if it was an isolated issue.
Buck Compton
AG
Diagnosed as a CHT sensor failure. Which they have to order. They're also going to have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to it.

It'll be warranty, but I HATE how new vehicles have to have half of the engine disassembled just to get to a cheap ass sensor. No solid ETA yet.
Ags-R-Better
I had the same problem about a year ago; was at the Ford dealership a week before they diagnosed it. Turns out it was the sensor and would be covered under warranty. Took manifold off to get to sensor, turns out the sensor was fried because rats chewed on the wiring harness... not covered under warranty. 4 weeks later the new wiring harness comes in and it was fixed.

Truck has been problem free other than that...But hat experience and the way Ford and the Autonation dealership handled it left a bad taste in my mouth and a hole in my wallet.

Good luck, hope your repair goes well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Buck Compton said:

Diagnosed as a CHT sensor failure. Which they have to order. They're also going to have to take off the entire intake manifold to get to it.

It'll be warranty, but I HATE how new vehicles have to have half of the engine disassembled just to get to a cheap ass sensor. No solid ETA yet.
an intake manifold is hardly 'half the engine'.

But glad to hear it was relatively minor.

BrazosDog02
AG
AutoNation huh....I have a love hate relationship. Hosed me once but bailed me out recently too.

Also,OP, the intake isn't a huge deal...Just a lot of **** on top . For perspective, my truck needs some head work..,.And the procedure is to pull the motor or the cab before starting....Lol.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Seems to be a trend with fords.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.