Corvette factory tour - Bowling Green

1,232 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
Superdave1993
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not a Corvette homer at all, and thought the museum would be better than the plant tour but I was wrong.

We walked through last Thursday and for any car nerds it was well worth the $10.

If you are driving up to Kentucky for the bourbon trail or anything else, try to make it.

No photos allowed unless you pay the extra $800-900 to walk through while your car is being built, so no rule #1.
sixiron
AG
I went on that tour about 9-10 years ago. Pretty nice.
AggieChemist
AG
I've been five or six times, but I haven't been to the museum since the floor fell in. Have they completed repairs from that? I heard they left the hole, or were thinking about doing so?
sixiron
AG
I read that they stabilized the area around the sinkhole and made a new exhibit with the cars still down there.
Jackie Daytona
AG
Superdave1993
AG
That display was the one that made the museum "ok" for me. Having been a trooper and in the insurance world I have seen some pretty messed up cars and accidents. That was almost like work for me.

They have that black '61 or '62 ish one on the rack in the back now and are about to start repairs on it.

The cars were great, but they were packed in pretty tight and you really could not get any great pictures of just one vehicle. My favorite was the one from Car & Driver off road trip. That one was crazy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-road-to-remorses-the-road-to-divorces-feature
mrad85
AG

My best friend and fellow Aggie owns one of the only 300 '53 S1's made.

Note: Picture is not his car.
Superdave1993
HollywoodBQ
AG
When I was going through the Armor School at Fort Knox, KY back in 1993-1994, I took the tour twice. It was great both times. They did warn us that the ZR-1 models got road tested in I-65 so be on the look out.

A few interesting things I remember are that the Corvette was offered in about 10 different colors and they built them in batches based on color. So, if you ordered a rare color, you would have to wait on it to get built until they had 10 orders for that color.

I got to see one European model being built that had extra turn signal lights on the side of the car.

In the room where they check the emissions, they let you watch a car run through the paces on a dyno. Anyway, both times I took the tour, the car we watched failed the emissions test. Both times they said that was a really rare occurrence.

One thing that I still laugh about to this day was the two ladies who installed the windshields. They would smoke for 3 1/2 minutes, install a windshield for 30 seconds and then return to smoking.

Elsewhere on the line was the guy whose job it was to start each car for the first time.

Back in 1994, I think they said they manufactured 300 Corvettes each day and they only ran a single shift.

I would definitely take that tour again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.