2013 Ford Edge 3.5L idle close to stalling

13,471 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GigemCO2008
GigemCO2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Auto Board,
Wife has a 2013 Ford Edge with a 3.5L. At idle or stop sign it comes to close to stalling out.

I researched online and saw there is a TSB 15-0123 that describes this problem that's calls for a flash of the ECM.

The car is out of warranty, and Joe Meyers wants $140 to do the PCM flash plus a possible diagnostic.

Question is, anyone have a better dealership to head to or a local shop that could do this?

Live in Cypress near the Berry Center.

Thanks for the help.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Take it to the dealer you bought it at and hope they throw you some good will?
Strongwind86
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Take it to the dealer you bought it at and hope they throw you some good will?

This.

When purchasing a new vehicle, I always try and keep a relationship with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from. The few extra $'s i pay for an oil change each year comes in handy when you have an issue in a "grey" area like this. I've had the dealer address many things outside the box over the years.
The Wonderer
AG
What Dill and Strongwind said.

That said, it's a TSB, so the dealer should be fixing it for free..
GigemCO2008
AG
Only thing is we bought it from Friendly Ford of Crosby, and we live in Cypress . We drove the 80 mins to get a deal.

So anybody have a more local dealer suggestions that have good rates?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Clean the TB with some TB cleaner and a paper towel.

Will probably fix all of the idle issues.The idle may even be a little higher after you clean it but after a drive or two, it should even out.

New cars are drive by wire, so there's no IAC to help the car idle at a red light like on older cars.

Its commanded by PCM, and when you get some PCV gunk on the butterfly, the PCM can only compensate so far with the parameters that its been given, so it stutters and dies.

When I would rotate back to the US from overseas, my company car would sit in the garage for a month, and when I got back, the battery would be dead, jump starting it would get it going, but unless I sat there and idled it at over 1000 rpm, it would die immediately and I'd have to re-jump.Finally I figured out, after 70,000 miles of beijing stop and go traffic, the throttle body was all gummed up. I cleaned it out and jumped it, and then it idled at 1300 rpm, because the PCM had set the command to the max limit to allow it to idle. After a few drives and good acceleration runs, it was back to normal.
GigemCO2008
AG
1Ags,
Thanks! I'll clean out the TB this weekend. Hopefully after a good cleaning and relearn by the computer, the low rpm hunting will be resolved.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.