EGR Delete & risk/warranty

9,178 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mattressburn
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at a 2014 Ram Diesel that has been EGR Deleted at 53k miles. I am be no means a diesel mechanic, but I get the purpose of theEGR Delete/DPF, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Most all I can find to read, most people do it after the factory power train warranty runs out (100k miles on this make/model/year). What is the risk of doing this pre-warranty? I get you lose factory warranty, but are you overall increasing or decreasing your risk vs waiting until 100k?

Thanks in advance.
clarythedrill
Although I do not like the EGR or the DPF (and drop in MPG when in Regen), I do like not seeing black soot coming out of the exhaust, and basically no smell whatsoever as far as exhaust fumes. I guess its a trade off. I am not touching my system until out of warranty, if even then. If you do have any engine issue, they will deny your warranty for sure if you have tampered with the system, which I do believe is against the law on a diesel. That would be a really expensive vehicle without an engine warranty.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I agree with the above. I won't be touching mine until it rolls over 100k.
TecRecAg
AG
I've had both. Last truck was a tuned/deleted 6.4 Powerstroke. While the mileage was great and I don't mind the smell/soot, I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb. And with no warranty, that's a big pill to swallow.

Now I have a 6.7 that's stock and 95k miles until warranty runs out. I'll probably delete it a little before warranty.

In your situation you're probably ok with a truck that only has 53k miles. Like any used car, you never really know how it was treated.
agrams
AG
Thanks for the feedback. I get the same 'ticking timebomb' vibe.. it makes me nervous too, but it is a good truck at a good price. I did edit my original post to correct that it wasn't the dealer that did the delete, but the previous owner.

On a side note, anyone know any good companies in the D/FW area that I can use to give any potential vehicles a good look over before I finalize a purchase? I don't really care for the BS companies that do writeups on the condition of the leather on the seats and chips in paint. I want someone to give a good look over the powertrain/fuel system/undercarriage to offer me signs if there are any potential bigger issues.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Just be wary of the TCEQ

Quote:

Vehicle Sales

Texas law prohibits any person from selling, offering for sale, leasing, or offering to lease any vehicle not equipped with all emission control systems or devices in good operable condition. Violators are subject to penalties under the Texas Clean Air Act of up to $25,000 per violation. Buyers are advised to have the vehicle checked for all required emission control devices prior to purchasing a new or used vehicle.
A vehicle may not be legally sold if its original engine has been replaced with another certified engine but without the related emission control components. Tampering includes the failure to install the emission controls associated with an engine configuration.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Take it to a certified diesel mechanic that is familiar with Cummins motors. A lot of the diesel performance shops will do vehicle pre-purchase inspections for a fee.
agrams
AG
If the egr delete is not legal, how is it so pervasive and out in the open. That seems odd.
TX_AG_10
AG
When most people sell the parts or service it's usually always preceded with, "For Race and Off-Road Use Only". At least that's how I assume most people get away with it out in the open.
OregonAggie
AG
agrams said:

Thanks for the feedback. I get the same 'ticking timebomb' vibe.. it makes me nervous too, but it is a good truck at a good price. I did edit my original post to correct that it wasn't the dealer that did the delete, but the previous owner.

On a side note, anyone know any good companies in the D/FW area that I can use to give any potential vehicles a good look over before I finalize a purchase? I don't really care for the BS companies that do writeups on the condition of the leather on the seats and chips in paint. I want someone to give a good look over the powertrain/fuel system/undercarriage to offer me signs if there are any potential bigger issues.

Unique Motorsports in Lewisville has a great reputation and I've had my 06 F250 worked on by them. I originally bought it from them as well. They specialize in Fords but I've seen plenty of Dodges and Chevys there.
TommyGun
AG
TecRecAg said:

I've had both. Last truck was a tuned/deleted 6.4 Powerstroke. While the mileage was great and I don't mind the smell/soot, I felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb. And with no warranty, that's a big pill to swallow.

Now I have a 6.7 that's stock and 95k miles until warranty runs out. I'll probably delete it a little before warranty.

In your situation you're probably ok with a truck that only has 53k miles. Like any used car, you never really know how it was treated.

Did you feel like the truck was less reliable, or did you just have concerns that you wouldn't have warranty coverage in the off chance of something happening? I don't own a diesel but I've heard others indicate that this process actually helps extend the engine life so long as you're not running a hot tune or anything crazy.
WildcatAg
AG
I would be more concerned about who performed the modifications. There are many "experts" out there......
FIDO*98*
AG
Same could be said for Weed in certain states. I wouldn't delete if I lived in California, but, in Texas the state doesn't check emissions on diesel vehicles
Mattressburn
AG
Figured this was a good thread to ask my question that's kinda relevant.

I'm thinking of getting one of the baby duramaxes in a new Canyon. After the warranty expires I was thinking of deleting and getting a tune. Is there a way to delete without "rolling coal" . I don't need or want to dump my black soot all over some Prius. I just like the idea of the improved MPG and the fact that I'm not dumping soot into the crankcase.
FIDO*98*
AG
If you stick with a tune that closely matches the factory tune there is very little exhaust under normal driving conditions. You'll see a little more under hard acceleration, but, the guys 'rolling coal' have performance tunes set to purposely look like ***** bros
Mattressburn
AG
Good to know thanks for the info
TecRecAg
AG
I felt like the truck was just as reliable. But you have to remember it was a 6.4 so, naturally, I was always worried. Even though I had a mild tune, you're messing with the motor and telling it to do something it wasn't designed to do. Once you're out of warranty, there's no reason not to delete it. If the motor is gonna grenade, it's gonna grenade and you're stuck with a $12k repair bill. Deleting it will help your cause since you can't take it to the dealer.

TX_AG_10
AG
Chevyboxer said:

Good to know thanks for the info

In my experience, a good performance tune shouldn't "roll coal". Most good shops have pretty clean tunes and will tell you to hit the road if you ask for a smoke or lope tune. But, YMMV
OregonAggie
AG
I agree with TX_AG_10 and Fido. I have a delete and tuner on my truck and literally never see smoke just normally driving around. The only time is if I ever gun it, which is very rare. If you drive it like a normal person and not a bro, you won't have that problem.
Mattressburn
AG
My bro days if I ever experienced them are long gone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.