Tesla Hypothetical

1,321 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HumbleAg04
Shawdaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I reserved a model 3 on day one ($1,000 down), but am almost positive that I am not going to want to actually own it. I think they are very cool cars, but at the end of the day, I have come to terms with the fact that I am a truck guy, and will replace my truck with another in a few years.

There is already a very long wait list for these things, and I expect that to grow substantially following the final unveiling. My question is:

Would I be better off relinquishing my spot in line and reclaiming my 1k now, or do you think there is a profit to be made by buying it as early as possibe and flipping it?

The money isn't really a factor, just looking for input from other car enthusiasts on how that scenario would play out. I think this may be one of the few examples where the car will appreciate once its dropped off of the truck!
Shawdaddy
AG
I re-read my post and it came across wierd. When I said money isn't a factor, I meant the 1k down, obviously the profit in the flipping equation is a major factor. That and being able to drive it for a day or two myself!
drumboy
AG
Can you just sell your spot in line? That seems like an easier avenue than buying it and hoping to flip it.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
drumboy said:

Can you just sell your spot in line? That seems like an easier avenue than buying it and hoping to flip it.
I would think this. What if the car comes out and is an absolute dud with gremlins all over the place? You'll never be able to sell it.
Buck O Five
AG
My understanding is the $1k is fully refundable and was more of a PR stunt to calm investors during the long ramp up to volume production. I expect many folks will be backing out before the Model 3 arrives, leaving little resale value for a preorder.
mellison
AG
ShawdaddyI have come to terms with the fact that I am a truck guy.[/quote said:

All you need is a Tesla Model 3 El Camino conversion kit!
Shawdaddy
AG
An el camino conversion might be pretty cool! Unfortunately you can't sell your spot in line - which wouldv'e been nice. At this point I am just going to hang onto the reservation just in case, but will probably cancel it last minute.
07ag
AG
i'm hoping the tesla pickup truck is announced/released in a timely fashion, and i'll just convert my deposit to that instead.

https://electrek.co/guides/tesla-pickup-truck/
HumbleAg04
AG
Tesla has a drivetrain test mule in a Tundra. Ever see a realky quiet one with no exhaust in the bay area...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.