Duramax options

4,460 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by milkman00
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at two used Duramax trucks, but I'm not too familiar with the engine differences. Is there a reason to go with one of these over the other, assuming similar trim levels? I do know the LBZ is sought after, but is that enough of a difference?

2006 GMC LBZ, 159k miles, $25500
2008 Chevy LMM(?), 164k miles, $23995
Silvy
AG
2006 because it's not a GMT900. LBZ because less emissions stuff.

Easy answer.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Yes. No DPF to delete. Only EGR blocker plate & tune & exhaust on the LBZ.
meggy09
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Yes. No DPF to delete. Only EGR blocker plate & tune & exhaust on the LBZ.

If you do exhaust and tune on the LMM also it gets rid of the DPF anyways.
locogringo
AG
LBZ would be my vote. That is based purely on engine alone. Obviously the condition of the trucks is a big factor.

LMM has DPF with no DEF. Both of those thing suck, but if you have a DPF it's better to have DEF with it (which would be an LML)

If you go with the LMM (or even a LML) plan on deleting at some point.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the input. I'm currently driving an '08 Sierra 1500, so I'm familiar with everything in the '08 Chevy.

Both trucks are in very similar condition and trims ('08 Chevy is an LTZ Texas Edition, '06 GMC is an SLT), 4x4, oversize tires/wheels, leveled, etc. The interior is a little better on the '08, though, obviously.

What does it cost to do the deletes to each truck and end up at the same place?
TRIDENT
AG
My 2008 GMC LMM 4x4 crew is still going strong at 137,000 miles with no delete (yet). I do run Diesel Kleen through it regularly. It's been a great truck for me. I'll probably give it to my son in a a few years when he turns 16 and buy myself a 2020.
AgEng06
AG
Wanna sell it now?

I'll trade you my truck + cash. An '08 Sierra Z71 (currently has 120k on it) would be great for your 16 year old son...
meggy09
AG
1K for EFIlive auto cal and exhaust installed yourself.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Still need to do the egr delete.

I also think the seats are more comfortable in the GMT800 trucks vs GMT900 (which you have now).

Even my 2016 seats aren't as comfortable as my 2006 seats were.
meggy09
AG
Oh. Ok. So 1,010 for tune, exhaust and blocker plate. I actually drove mine about 40k just turned off and it never blew open or had any issues, not exactly advisable though.

Once you mod them the major powertrain differences are gone. I'd pick on aesthetics and ergonomics.
TRIDENT
AG
Thanks AgEng06, but I'm gonna keep it in the fleet. Good luck in your search.
AgEng06
AG
No problem, and thanks.
TX_AG_10
AG
I'd say go off price/aesthetics, especially if you are going to delete and tune. A LMM is basically an LBZ with emissions. If you don't want to mess with any tuning or mods I'd go with the LBZ. One thing to note on the LBZ is the 8th digit on the VIN. It will either be an 2 or a D, 2 it still a LLY tune that is about 60hp lower than a VIN with a D. Same internals and everything just different tunes on the 06's. All of the 07 LBZ's have a D in the 8th spot.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for all the help guys. I found an '07 GMC with less than 100k on it that I'm strongly considering now.

Regarding the delete, I'm assuming the truck won't pass inspection in an emissions county afterwards. Is that correct?
TRIDENT
AG
Diesels don't require emissions testing anywhere in Texas...only a seven dollar safety inspection.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
AgEng06 said:

Thanks for all the help guys. I found an '07 GMC with less than 100k on it that I'm strongly considering now.

Regarding the delete, I'm assuming the truck won't pass inspection in an emissions county afterwards. Is that correct?
You and 08 need to start the email chain up with me again so I can tell you all about this,....
BrazosDog02
AG
Corps_Ag12
AG
I would strongly recommend jumping on that truck ASAP.
AgEng06
AG
I'm strongly contemplating it. My only hang-up is it would really just be to scratch an itch right now, and I could wait 2-3 years and get a new one. Or, I guess I could resell that one in 2-3 years and get a new one that way...
Corps_Ag12
AG
If it's a reasonable price you could probably get almost, if not all, of your money back in a few years if/when you sell it.

(If it's an '07 LBZ)
AgEng06
AG
Yeah. Looks like it's an LMM (8th digit of VIN is a 6). It's also close to $30k, which seems a little high to me for an '07.

I also found a 2011 King Ranch F250 with ~100k miles for ~$30k. That's a more attractive option being 4 yrs newer but around the same price and mileage.

Any big issues w/ the 2011 version of the 6.7L Power Stroke?

As you can tell, I'm all up in the air here. I just have the itch for a 3/4 ton diesel but don't want to spend the cash for a new one. I was hoping to find a relatively low-mileage one in the <$30k range. I'm partial to a GMC, but not against a Ford.
AgEng06
AG
I don't think he could care less about a diesel delete, but I'll shoot you an email.
TX_AG_10
AG
If it's a new body style 07 they are all LMM's, FWIW. I think there were a few issues with the 2011-12's. I *think* most people here recommend a 13 or newer, but I could be totally mistaken. I'm only familiar with the duramax platform. I had the same itch as you and wanted a 3/4 ton diesel and ended up with an LBZ last October.
EskimoJoe
AgEng06 said:

Yeah. Looks like it's an LMM (8th digit of VIN is a 6). It's also close to $30k, which seems a little high to me for an '07.

I also found a 2011 King Ranch F250 with ~100k miles for ~$30k. That's a more attractive option being 4 yrs newer but around the same price and mileage.

Any big issues w/ the 2011 version of the 6.7L Power Stroke?

As you can tell, I'm all up in the air here. I just have the itch for a 3/4 ton diesel but don't want to spend the cash for a new one. I was hoping to find a relatively low-mileage one in the <$30k range. I'm partial to a GMC, but not against a Ford.

Both of our 6.7s at work have had a ton of issues including but not limited to multiple turbo failures each and an engine failure. They go through exhaust sensors like candy and never ending issues with the exhaust fluid system.

My LBZ duramax has been awesome.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the info. I thought I remembered reading some unfavorable things about those engines.

I just have reservations about buying a 10-yr old truck for close to $30k (especially since my current truck isn't that old).
WildcatAg
AG
AgEng06 said:

I just have reservations about buying a 10-yr old truck for close to $30k (especially since my current truck isn't that old).
My $0.02 would be to listen to your reservations.

Fourteen years ago (dang, has it been that long!) I traded in a perfectly good 1999 F150 that I had purchased brand new (ordered it in fact) for a high mileage 2000 F250 because I had it in my mind that I just absolutely needed a diesel F250. It didn't take too long for me to learn that it was an expensive mistake.

I recently considered trading in my truck for an older/higher mileage truck. I'm really glad I didn't.

But I wouldn't listen to differing opinions in 2003 so you will probably ignore me. It's OK, just warn the next generation when your time comes.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks. I think...
AgEng06
AG
Arrrghhhh... Will one of you just tell me if I need to buy THIS TRUCK?

As mentioned, I would be moving from an '08 Sierra SLE Z71 Ext Cab w/ ~121k miles on it. So the truck in question is 1 yr older, but ~25k less miles on a diesel engine. Current truck is an SLE, so cloth bench seats, no nav, no flow-through console.

The main reason for a crew cab is because car seats are a PITA in this truck, but also because I want a diesel.
TRIDENT
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
WildcatAg said:

AgEng06 said:

My $0.02 would be to listen to your reservations.

Fourteen years ago (dang, has it been that long!) I traded in a perfectly good 1999 F150 that I had purchased brand new (ordered it in fact) for a high mileage 2000 F250 because I had it in my mind that I just absolutely needed a diesel F250. It didn't take too long for me to learn that it was an expensive mistake.

I recently considered trading in my truck for an older/higher mileage truck. I'm really glad I didn't.

But I wouldn't listen to differing opinions in 2003 so you will probably ignore me. It's OK, just warn the next generation when your time comes.
30k for a 10 year old truck is nuts.
Jrod05
AG
I jumped to ford. Do it. Scratch that itch. FYI car seats are a ***** in it too though. No quick latch. I leave my kids seats in mine.
GTBullitt68
AG
edit: poor reading skills. I wish I could get my hands on a well taken LBZ and get rid of the EGR and DPF on my f250
Bennettag06
AG
I own a 07 LMM. Deleted, blocked and tuned at 180,000 miles.

Still going strong at 282,000 miles today.

Truck produces 420HP/700FT# at the rear wheels. The LMM can be tuned to produce more but not recommended to push more than 700ft# on standard transmission.

It's been close to 3 years now since the tune/upgrade and transmission still shifts silky smooth.
TX_AG_10
AG
Do you have a DSP5 switch? Who did your tunes?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.