~$6K used commuter car options

1,228 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that I have my insurance check I'm out trolling the inter-webs for a cheap commuter car for my 500 mile a week work commute.

I'm fine with a compact or subcompact. Trying for bang for buck that is decently enjoyable driving and is reliable for a few years of 25,000 highway miles a year.

Been looking at the Yaris or Fit, or Mazda2 or mazda3, maybe a Hyundai Accent. Not sure I trust any of the domestics to take the miles. Manual transmission much preferred over the crappy autos in such cheap cars.

Any recs? I know cheap boring small cars are not a common topic here.
agwrangler2001
AG
My brother (C/O '04) is selling his Toyota Corolla....he recently bought a Truck.
It's an 09 LE, not a manual trans, but......
Here's the add :

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6045863482.html
Dill-Ag13
AG
Fit gets my vote
barney94
AG
I went to AutoTrader and searched on manual transmission, less than 100k miles, within 200 miles of B/CS.

You'd be surprised how much variety is in there.

Looks like Mazda 3 is real doable.
EskimoJoe
C4 Vette?
Complete Idiot
Having bought one of these V6 6 Speed Accord Sedans as a cheap commuter myself, I can strongly recommend it. I ended up selling mine last year after owning three years but the thing would have run forever, I only wanted to try a different car.

Cheap fun commuter

pros:
The 6 speed is great and fun to drive. I think these are great values.
the engine is surprisingly peppy - it gets you moving quick. Car and Driver had this manual 0-60 @5.9 seconds
Will run forever, hard to break. good for 250,000 miles but you'll need to see how clutch feels and if
excellent interior space - seats, storage, layout

Cons:
Front wheel drive
ten years old now
mileage around 22-29 depending on driving, not really that great if mpg is commuter goal
MouthBQ98
AG
Checked it out. Mostly what I am looking for but he's asking quite a bit over KBB for a private seller even in very good condition at that mileage.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Mazda 3
10andBOUNCE
AG
Toyota Matrix
Honda Civic Coupe

I'd only go Honda or Toyota with your situation
MouthBQ98
AG
Forgot to add that the practicality of a hatchback is a plus.
aTm papi
Get a Fit!
agwrangler2001
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Checked it out. Mostly what I am looking for but he's asking quite a bit over KBB for a private seller even in very good condition at that mileage.
Yeah, I have no clue what the market is on those cars.....I also don't know what he considers low ball.

Guess you could offer and he can say yes or no....
TxLawDawg
AG
New 2017 Ford Focus - $11,995

I know this isn't used or in your cash budget, but I stumbled across this and it looks like a pretty darn good deal for a commuter.
MouthBQ98
AG
Heh, your brother lives about 2 miles from my brother...who is class of 03.
ATL Aggie
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Why does a commuter have to be a "boring small car"?

For the amount of time that I spend in a car every day it better be something that I enjoy to be in. It needs to be ultra comfortable, or sporty fun, or rugged utility, etc... It has to have some redeeming quality other than gas mileage or reliability. Budget can certainly limit options, but for $6k I would rather buy a a BMW 530i with 100k miles or a Acura TSX, Mustang, etc...
vansprinkle
AG
ATL Aggie said:

MouthBQ98 said:

For the amount of time that I spend in a car every day it better be something that I enjoy to be in. It needs to be ultra comfortable, or sporty fun, or rugged utility, etc... It has to have some redeeming quality other than gas mileage or reliability. Budget can certainly limit options, but for $6k I would rather buy a a BMW 530i with 100k miles or a Acura TSX, Mustang, etc...

You're absolutely correct. A commuter doesn't need to be boring.

Third vote for a Honda Fit! I've had mine for 10 years, it is cheap to maintain, gets great gas mileage, drives around like a little go kart, and is comfortable for long road trips. Plus it is a hatch and can fit a **** ton of stuff inside thanks to its "magic" seat.
AggieRob93
AG
Mazda. Zoom zoom!
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm going to put 25k or 30k miles a year on it. Like it to last 4-5 years of that at least. I'd be afraid to go Euro for that reason. No warranty = no Euro for me.
bkag9824
AG
Might sell my wife's '09 4 door hatch Yaris in a couple months after we move. Auto though & no cruise control...

Haven't done black/blue book in detail, but quick search says should be right around the ~$6k range you stated.
MouthBQ98
AG
Yaris is another model I am looking at.
MouthBQ98
AG
Missed a great deal on a mazda3 hatch, but instead scored a solid deal on a Blue low miles Fit. Manual 5 speed, has some crappy Honda clear coat issues, but I don't care how it looks so much as that it runs well. I'll let Maaco deal with it if it ends up bothering me that much. Will Rule #1 tonight.
Jack Boyett
AG
ATL Aggie said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Agree with this. A boatload of boring cars being suggested. Is a honda fit interesting?

I got a C4 last fall to commute in for $5k. Before that I had an '01 Seville that was a $5K car several years ago when I bought it. You can get a CTS now with a manual for the OP's budget. I guess it's all about personal preference, but I can't see how a Honda Accord or a Mazda 3 is interesting at all. And on the domestic vs. japanese debate, there's a Toyota Camry thread on the first page of this form with a blown engine at only 225k miles.
vansprinkle
AG
Jack Boyett said:

ATL Aggie said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Agree with this. A boatload of boring cars being suggested. Is a honda fit interesting?

I got a C4 last fall to commute in for $5k. Before that I had an '01 Seville that was a $5K car several years ago when I bought it. You can get a CTS now with a manual for the OP's budget. I guess it's all about personal preference, but I can't see how a Honda Accord or a Mazda 3 is interesting at all. And on the domestic vs. japanese debate, there's a Toyota Camry thread on the first page of this form with a blown engine at only 225k miles.

I'm guessing you've never driven a Honda Fit or Accord? Both would be much more exciting than a 15 year old CTS or STS. And 25k/year in a C4 doesn't sound fun or exciting at all.

Seriously, Fits are great little cars that you can fling around and beat the crap out of without ever having to worry about breaking anything.
Jack Boyett
AG
I had to google Honda Fit to see what it looked like. I'm sure I've seen one before, but come on it's pretty forgettable. I would include the way a car looks in it's overall interestingness.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is like driving a big enclosed go-cart. And it gets 33mpg highway, saves me $1500/yr on fuel over my current daily driver. I can't drive like a performance car would permit because in my current job, certain moving violations can get me fired. I'd rather enjoy driving "scaled down", so to speak.

I do most of my fun driving off paved roads anyways.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Just do the $100 rustoleum paint job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.