Need Truck Advice

1,629 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KRamp90
Theres a Spirit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm in the market for a 3/4 ton truck and can't make up my mind which way I should go. Below are the options I'm considering. Now the obvious choice would seem to be the diesel for towing, but the only thing I will tow is our 7,000 lb bumper pull travel trailer. They diesel is obviously more expensive but gets better mileage, has more power and torque, etc. The gas engines give me more budget for upgraded features, leather, reverse camera, running boards,etc. Does any one own any of these and how do you like it? Thanks in advance!

6.0 Chevy vortec 2500hd 3.73 gears 4X4
6.2 Ford F-250 3.73 gears 4x4
6.7 Ford F-250 diesel 3.73 gears 4x4
saltydog13
AG
If you aren't towing all the time then just go gas engine. There's a couple people here with the new gas f250s.
Theres a Spirit
AG
Thanks for the reply BirdHunter, I look forward to their advice. I was leaning towards a 6.0 vortec that I liked but heard mixed reviews about the pulling performance.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I'm assuming you're looking at new trucks?

I have a 2016 duramax with 6k Miles and average 15-16 mpg, but I also have a replacement bumper and winch on the front. That's 70% highway

My friend's 2011 6.0 Chevy averages 14 mpg, and he drives 95% highway.

I went with the diesel as I tow occasionally, but I also drive 20k miles a year.
TxAg20
AG
What are you towing your 7,000# trailer with now? How often and far do you tow it? Do you tow in hills or mountains?

7,000# is going to be within the capabilities of any modern 1/2 ton gasser, but that doesn't mean it will feel good.
locogringo
AG
My experience with the GM 6.0L have all been great. I can't give any accurate info on mpg because it had heavy bumpers, bigger M/T's, and was an older version. But it got 12-14 in the city, little better on highway. Great truck.

Don't have much personal experience with the Ford gasser, but in my opinion, and many others, it's hard to beat the GM LS and LS based engines.

Ford diesel is crapshoot. I would replace your diesel option with a Duramax.
Theres a Spirit
AG
I should have clarified I'm looking at pre owned vehicle under 40K miles. Right now I pull with an 02' Chevrolet 1500hd 2WD with the 6.0 gas engine. Gears are 3.73 and it has the tow package. The truck gets the job done but it struggles bad going through any type of incline. Not sure if it's struggles are due to age/technology, vehicle has 150K miles on it with everything original.
Silvy
AG
If lack of power is the only issue you have with that truck, that's an easy fix.

GM left lots of power off the table in the programming of the PCM of the 2500 trucks. PE (Power Enrichment) doesn't occur till you're at 90% throttle & over 5000 RPM for 90 seconds or something absurd like that. So basically, the PCM will never command the fueling necessary when you need power.

TLDR: Get a custom PCM tune if you just want more power
mAgnoliAg
AG
Pulled our 7700 pound travel trailer with a 2014 Silvy 1500 5.3 and didn't really have any power issues. The 6.0 3/4 ton should be fine
KRamp90
AG
Not much to add, but my 2016 2500HD gasser with 4.10's get's 10-11 in city, and 14-15 highway. I have hit a high of 16.7 twice, but don't count on it. It's no diesel, but I don't tow a lot.
aggolfer
AG
I thought you could only get 3.73 gears on the 6.7 Ford on a dually?
KRamp90
AG
Sorry 2500Hd. Chevy, with the 6.0 gasser
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.