Best non-luxury compact SUV

2,580 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by el_scorcho
el_scorcho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The rib currently drives a 2011 Mercedes GLK350 that now has over 120k miles and is running into some expensive repairs and maintenance. Since she is driving a lot for work, she is asking for a similar sized replacement that's geared towards fuel economy, reliability, and tech features. Leather, sunroof, and the latest tech (collision avoidance, etc) are all wanted. Currently evaluating:

• CR-V
  • CX-5
  • Escape
  • Equinox (2018)
  • Murano
  • RAV4
  • Sportage....maybe Niro?
  • Tucson

Anyone have any recent experience with these models? I work for GM and have been trying to find a vehicle I'd like to put her in and the 2018 Equinox seems like a decent option. Thanks!
slappy
AG
CX-5. Wish it had a turbo, though.
mAgnoliAg
AG
You selling the GLK?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
2.0L Boost Escape
Dill-Ag13
AG
CX-5 yo. Love ours.
AgLiving06
Keep an eye on the Edge as well.

We picked up an Edge SEL 2016 for ~1500 more than an Escape.

The extra room is definitely worth it.
Macarthur
el_scorcho said:

Since she is driving a lot for work, she is asking for a similar sized replacement that's geared towards fuel economy, reliability, and tech features.

This just screams CR-V to me.
el_scorcho
AG
Not sure just yet. Thought we were looking at a simple wheel bearing replacement and the shop says the noise is coming from the rear end. They're supposed to pull the diff cover and check it out today. I'm just proactively shopping around in case the cost to fix ends up higher than we're willing to go.
Aggietaco
AG
Our '14 CX-5 purchased in March 2013 has been great so far. 2.5L in the GT is fairly peppy and most importantly, the rib likes it.
jh0400
AG
Not a Nissan Rogue. Our 2014 had a CVT replacement at 32K miles.
el_scorcho
AG
Shop called and said they want to replace the rear differential (with a used) to the tune of at least $2,000. Seems odd to me an untouched dif that isn't leaking fluid just goes out after 120k miles. Also funny that the recommendation is to swap in a new ($$$) or used ($) instead of rebuild or actually crack open the cover and see what needs to be fixed. Thinking we will probably trade it now.

@jh0400 Don't the CR-Vs also have CVT transmissions now? Never driven or really read much about them other than most folks do not like them.

@AggieTaco I do like the CX-5s. Any reliability issues?
Aggietaco
AG
Nothing yet, just oil, filters, and tires so far. She's coming from an '05 Mazda 6 that we also had great history with. I only did brakes and motor mount on that car before it was totaled while we were out prospecting on new vehicles.
el_scorcho
AG
Ended up buying a CX-5. Thanks to all for input.
Cloud
Badass. Love our cx5 as well.
Build It
AG
I should finish ready thread next time
PMD03
AG
From the window of his new Mazda?
Aggietaco
AG
el_scorcho said:

Ended up buying a CX-5. Thanks to all for input.
That was quick.

Congrats on the new ride. Hopefully the Mazda treats y'all as well as it has us.
Pahdz
how's that CX-5 working out for ya? We are selling my wife's 2009 Lexus ES350 to my mom and my wife is wanting to get back into a small SUV (loved her 2006 Saturn Vue before). Been eyeing either a CX-5 or Tucson. The Sport 2.0T Tucson version looks good. We don't need a 3rd row but selfishly I'd like one that's fun to drive (as fun as a smaller SUV can be, since I lug around in a Tundra all day)
el_scorcho
AG
CX-5 has been solid. Already close to 15k miles on it and no issues other than a week at the body shop after someone backed into it. When it was delivered I noticed this blue, chalky substance that was lightly covering a lot of the interior. It's mostly gone away, but was a bit annoying. If you do your own oil changes, you need a hex bit for the drain plug and need to make sure you properly torque it back down or you'll get a little drip-drip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.