Need to sell a dead Camry

1,248 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it an interference engine? If not, would timing chain fix? Or is it not worth even that fix?

And back to your OP, I'd stick it on CL and hope for the best
Jack Boyett
AG
I think you're in the right place. A lot of people love Toyota's and Japanese cars in general on this board.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

The mechanic said with the loss of compression he thinks the rings are done and likely the guides are melted. (Again I have a pretty advanced handyman but this beyond my wheelhouse). Also something about the rings being destroyed. All of this is based off the lack of compression.
This does not make sense. If it is a non interference engine, timing chain/belt goes, engine quits, you roll to a stop.

Interference engine, chain/belt breaks, the valves stop moving, the pistons keep moving, they collide, lots of internal damage results, such as bent valves or busted pistons.

When it quit, did it die with a bang or a whimper?

With no timing belt/chain, of course you're not going to get compression. The valves are not opening and closing to allow air into the cylinder, and sealing the cylinder on the compression stroke. For instance, if the chain broke on the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valve is still open, and you'll never get compression on that cylinder.

Guides melted? Did you run it out of water or through a fire? Valves guides are metal, they don't melt without intense heat. On a 2003, they are probably worn, but "melted" is not a term I've ever heard for valve guides.

And you rings may or may not be shot, but the timing chain had no more to do with that than the color of the underwear you were wearing. And like the "melted" guides", "destroyed" rings aren't really a thing. Worn out, sure. Destroyed??????

I don't doubt that it's possible that the engine is going to be so expensive to repair, that the car is effectively totaled. But unless I've lost my mind or this is a terrible translation between your mechanic and your post, it sounds like he told you your muffler bearings are shot and you're out of blinker fluid.
drumboy
AG
Sasappis said:

I believe it is an interruption but honestly this is at the edge of my automotive knowledge. The mechanic said with the loss of compression he thinks the rings are done and likely the guides are melted. (Again I have a pretty advanced handyman but this beyond my wheelhouse). Also something about the rings being destroyed. All of this is based off the lack of compression.

I did discuss some rebuild and repair options. He didn't seem interested in much but did offer to pride out an engine swap. He thought in the $4k range. At that point it just isn't worth it.

How the hell do you test compression with no timing chain to close the valves?
CanyonAg77
AG
What engine, BTW?

And a quick Google seems to imply these are non-interference engines, so a broken chain or belt should be a non-issue. Also, best I can tell, a 4-cyl uses a chain, a V-6 uses a belt.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

So if the chain broke and the engine continued to run until it died that is what caused the damage correct? As in the valves are destroyed.
If the chain breaks, the crankshaft will continue to turn for at least a few revolutions, maybe several hundred, while the valves stop moving. If it is an interference engine, those valves will now occupy the space where the piston is moving up and down, and damage happens.

If it is a non-interference engine, WHICH I THINK IT IS, no damage will occur.

The high revving before breaking was not because of the broken chain.....but it might be why the chain broke. If it's a manual, did someone miss a shift?

Again, nothing I've said above means that the rings and valve guides are not worn. It's got over 200K, they probably have some wear. But if he's telling you the rings and guides are bad because of the timing chain break, I am suspicious.

Granted, he might be telling you that the rings and guides are probably worn, so why bother with the repair.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sasappis said:

Also the top radiator hose also was ruptured. It is possible the engine did overheat but I haven't seen it yet. There is a specific claim that there were no dash warning lights on when it failed. I got a call before it died about the high revving. I told her to get off the highway and in that process it died. When it was on the highway there were no dash warning lights and the temperature was not pegged out. I asked about those things before it died and while still running.
If it overheated, the timing chain letting go might be a symptom, not a problem. In other words, the engine was coming apart, and the chain was just one of many failures.

On a 14-year-old car, it's not impossible to imagine that the warning lights or gauges were out of commission.

Or that a female driver wasn't paying attention to the dash....

Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry for the thread derail, it's just that it sounded like the mechanic was not being straight, and that bothered me. If he was simply listing the litany of other things wrong, and if it overheated, it's not so far-fetched.

And as I said at first, CL is probably your answer, though I guess you could also call a local wrecking yard, or several. At least that would set your base price for your CL offering.
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Although I wonder if it is worth replacing the chain and see if it will run.

Thoughts on that?
< $200? sure

$200 - $500? iffy

>$500 probably not, unless I had some sort of assurance that it would run, and if the rest of the car was in A+ shape.
Post removed:
by user
Aero95
AG
I've never worked on a Toyota, but if it were mine I'd at least disassemble enough to do some diagnosis. Take the valve cover off and look at everything. Take the timing chain/belt cover off. Crank the engine over by hand to check for normal rotation. If the timing chain/belt is broken, then crank the cam over by hand to check for normal rotation. Maybe remove a spark plug (or all) and look inside the cylinders with a borescope if you have/can find one. There is a decent chance a new belt will put the car back in service.

If there is obvious evidence of a blown head gasket (milky oil or coolant) then send it to craigslist. Someone with a wrecked Camry might want to get a good car and transplant the engine.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aggiepaintrain
AG
car is a goner
call the scrap yard and try to get them to pick it up and give you $300-400
Tim Weaver
Yeah. Milky, frothy coolant means the oil has coolant in it. That might have scored the cam bearings (watery oil doesn't lube well) and caused the worn timing chain/belt to jump time. Water in the oil is bad. The motor is toast.

A rebuilt motor for that thing probably wouldn't be too much though. If the car is still in good shape cosmetlically, you could get a new/used drivetrain in it for less than buying a new car....
Post removed:
by user
BigRobSA
Swap it and hoon the hell out of it. Cheaper than payments for a few yrs.
Silvy
AG
You can buy a 5.3 for $500
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sasappis said:

So maybe the car isn't dead after all. I found a guy selling used Japanese imported engines for $1400. Another $700 or so for install.

Again, the car is in great shape otherwise. I put new brakes on 6 months ago. The tires are less than a year old. I did have to replace the radiator fan about a year ago.

The dilemma is that the plan was to replace this car very soon with a new car for the wife and then I was going to use this one for a daily commuter. I am still in need of something for a daily commuter no matter what.
Be VERY careful for those "Imported Japanese Engines"

THere was a huge scam that was in the news a few years back about them just being junk crap.

I'd check with LKQ to see what they have.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.