Jeep Sway Bar Disconnect

1,635 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Street Fighter
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to get a sway bar disconnect kit put on a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Willys Wheeler addition - stock (no lift). Dealing with 4 Wheel Parts and they ordered a Tera Flex model 1753010 - supposed to work on un-lifted jeep. 4 Wheel is telling me it will not fit without a 1 1/2" spacer on top of the coil. They are suggesting spacer just on the front which will be like a leveling kit - make front even with back - or could do both front and back.

I really want to keep stock and don't want to mess with the ride/handling etc. Will just the spacers screw up the handling? If not should i do front and back or just front?

Any suggestions/info appreciated. Not looking to lift etc. It is my wifes DD, we don't do a ton of off roading just few Jeep Jamborees. There were a couple of crawls at the last Jamboree we really struggled with and everyone one told us the sway bar disconnect would have really helped.

TIA.
p_bubel
You're raising the front near two inches, it's going to change the drive a bit. If you're keeping the stock tire size I got to imagine it looking a little funny. If you upsize the tire, the ride is going to suffer a bit more.
Javelina
AG
Quick google search indicates that the Tera discos can rub on an unlifted vehicle. 4-Wheels parts is probably shooting you straight on this one. I wouldn't expect a leveling kit to much of anything to the vehicle's performance.

There are a number of swaybar disconnect kits available out there, maybe research a few other brands? If you're really feeling crazy, why not find a complete Rubi swaybar system used? Then you don't even have to bother with crawling under the truck to disconnect.
p_bubel
JKS Quicker Disconnects should work, according to some googling. Honestly, you could manually disconnect them once or twice a year. The stock parts are pretty easy to get to.
Javelina
AG
p_bubel said:

JKS Quicker Disconnects should work, according to some googling. Honestly, you could manually disconnect them once or twice a year. The stock parts are pretty easy to get to.
http://www.extremeterrain.com/jks-rubi-adj-swaylinks-2031.html

Yep, the JKS kits get good reviews on multiple sites.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Quote:

Dealing with 4 Wheel Parts

Found your mistake
AgTech88
AG
So what are the implications of putting the 1 1/2" bushings front and back? How much would that change the ride/handling? The Willys has 32" tires standard - will they look too small (look wierd) with the 1 1/2" change?
p_bubel

Frankly, that looks fine to me. You really shouldn't notice too much of a difference if you keep the stock tire.
It will be weird at first since you're used to the stock height though.
Furlock Bones
AG
I would choose 1 of 3 options

1) Currie Antirock (easiest as there is nothing to do once installed.)
2) Pick up a non-functioning Jeep Rubicon E-Disco Sway bar. And install the Evo No Limits Manual Disconnect (easy. only have to turn a dial few turns)

https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-nolimits-manual-rubicon-swaybar-disconnect-jk-jku/

3) JKS quick disconnects - more work to get stuff disconnected and lined up
permabull
AG
javajaws
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

So what are the implications of putting the 1 1/2" bushings front and back? How much would that change the ride/handling? The Willys has 32" tires standard - will they look too small (look wierd) with the 1 1/2" change?
32" tires already look too small on a JKU so I'm gonna go with "yes".

FYI...the stock springs really suck - they are way too soft and mine bottomed out easily when loaded. If you don't want to go crazy I'd suggest a 1.5" spring lift of some sort with 33" tires.

I find my 1.5" lift drives better than stock. But then again I built a 1.5" lift that can be changed to 2-3" with just new springs and shocks if I want to go higher later. Even a 1.5" lift needs caster correction IMO. The front/rear track will be noticeably off as well and should be adjusted (usually done with adjustable track bar up front and a bracket in the back).

FYI, JKS makes 2 different quick disconnects - one for 0-2" lift and one for higher lifts. I run the 2.5-6" lift version but I had to shorten them by about 1/4" if I recall correctly (I didn't want to have to re-buy disconnects if I go higher later).
Street Fighter
AG
Furlock Bones said:

3) JKS quick disconnects - more work to get stuff disconnected and lined up

It actually pretty simple and the route I recommend. EVO is generally over price garbage, not that I'm opinionated or anything like that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.