Diesel Excursion

2,373 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Presley OBannons Sword
MykidswillbeAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at this vehicle shortly...definitely not paying list...anything I need to look out for? https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/687852660/overview/

Thanks!!
wunderbrad01
AG
My 7.3L excursion is in the top 2 favorite vehicles I've ever owned. Sold it at just over 300k. I miss it frequently but didn't buy another because of newer safety features.

Just make sure the engine is sound. K&n filter, may have or have had some type of programmer in the past. Otherwise looks like a great vehicle. I'd buy some of the oem style plastic fender flares from eBay and paint them, would dress it up a lot.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Amazing because that truck probably sold for about 5 grand more than that when it was new.

This is an XLT model, so has none of the higher features that you see. Most Xs were limited or eddies.

Check for rust. This thing spent a LOT of time in the snow states.

Also interesting that its been for sale since December and hasnt sold yet.

Theres also a mileage inconsistency on Carfax.

Notice that these analog odometers. People can and did swap clusters out with a lower mileage unit after running the hell out of them. Looking at interior trim and under carriage will be a good sign of real usage.

Also the idle seems a tad high.

MykidswillbeAgs
Thanks guys!! 1ags...will definitely follow your suggestions
MykidswillbeAgs
Well we looked at it...couldn't see any signs of rust on the undercarriage...interior was really clean...only real wear was on the steering wheel...air filter looked like it hadn't been cleaned and re oiled in forever. Lots of black stuff in the intake tube...I hate the K&N type filters anyway...useless junk...engine was smooth...a little slop in the steering wheel..
Found a hypertech tuner in the box..looked NIB...but made me really suspicious...I low balled them...we walked...thanks guys for the help!
BrazosDog02
AG
Probably for the best. This sounds like a "it's a 7.3 so I'm going to attempt to overprice it" deal. Have you driven a 7.3? If not...You should before deciding if you want to do it every day.
Old Sarge
AG
If you are looking at a family bug out vehicle, not the one. Need a pre '84.
Not that I am a bug out guy.

If you have some tinfoil, cover the windows of that thing if you buy it, and hand me the rest, please.

Needed for a hat.
MykidswillbeAgs
Lol...not looking for a bug out vehicle sarge...just looking for a more capable family hauler...we are 6...and a 1/2 ton Yukon XL (already have) really doesn't have the capability I need to pull the size camper that makes sense for our family. But given we only make the long haul to Wyoming once, maybe twice a year...so maybe a 3/4 gasser makes more sense...I just don't know
Tim Weaver
I am sad-face because I no longer have a real need for my 7.3 Excursion. It has 355k miles on it. I was hoping to take it to half a million at least. I don't haul trailers anymore and I will have 2 different vehicles that could pull a trailer if I need to.

The giant diesel just doesn't make any sense for me to own anymore. It has been such an excellent vehicle for me.
AgEng06
AG
I'll give you tree fiddy for it. Let me know...
BigPuma
AG
tree fiddy one Tim
Tim Weaver
Add a zero to that and we might be talking! haha
Presley OBannons Sword
Tim Weaver said:

I am sad-face because I no longer have a real need for my 7.3 Excursion. It has 355k miles on it. I was hoping to take it to half a million at least. I don't haul trailers anymore and I will have 2 different vehicles that could pull a trailer if I need to.

The giant diesel just doesn't make any sense for me to own anymore. It has been such an excellent vehicle for me.

Being awesome always makes sense.
Tim Weaver
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Tim Weaver said:

Yeah, but I kinda want to be awesome in something low and fast now.....
Presley OBannons Sword
Tim Weaver said:

Presley OBannons Sword said:

Tim Weaver said:

Yeah, but I kinda want to be awesome in something low and fast now.....
Fair. The 7.3 is certainly neither.
MouthBQ98
AG
Had a chance to buy one for under 5k with only 185K on it. Probly should have.
Presley OBannons Sword
MouthBQ98 said:

Had a chance to buy one for under 5k with only 185K on it. Probly should have.
if for no other reason than to flip it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.