K&N Air Filters????

2,410 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cz308
The Last Cobra Commander
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts one way or the other??? 2017 Silverado, 5.3
EskimoJoe
For it to really be effective you need to install a tornado fuel maximizer
Silvy
AG
If you want an aftermarket air filter, AEM Dryflow.
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't forget to install the stickers
ShaggyAggie01
AG
I always put them in my vehicles, but mostly because they aren't disposable. I prefer to just clean and oil them as opposed to having to buy another filter. Not for money reasons as much as I dont care to make an extra trip to the store, as I keep oil stocked. Can't really tell if it helps with performance.

Guess I could stock paper filters too, but that would cost about the same and take up shelf space.
BigRobSA
Do NOT oil them.

Oil with dirty up the MAF and/or the Throttlebody and cause issues.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
They come oiled. After a while they get dirty. You wash them and then re spray with their oil and let dry. Never had an issue.

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/cleaning.aspx
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
7.5" Pistons too bro....
Dill-Ag13
AG
Never understood them. The payoff is 5-6 years..
BigRobSA
ShaggyAggie01 said:

They come oiled. After a while they get dirty. You wash them and then re spray with their oil and let dry. Never had an issue.

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/cleaning.aspx

I know what they are. They've been around since at least the early 90s, if not 80s.

They're HORRIBLE for your car. A good dry filter is best.

Most car enthusiasts will tell you to steer way clear of them.
aggolfer
AG
they are crap. do a search for independent studies ando comparisons. they let more dirt in than any other filter.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I've got one. Not too impressed
MouthBQ98
AG
Can't tell the difference one way or another. My Nissan came with one, and I've followed the directions on it fairly regularly. I guess a good paper one would be just as good or better.
TxAg20
AG
I'd rather go to the store and buy a new paper filter than clean, dry, and oil a K&N.

I'm guessing they don't actually help gas mileage or power unless they hurt reliability or the OEM intake and filter design was exceptionally craptastic.

With CAFE standards, I don't think OEM is giving up easy MPG gains. Look at what VW risked to achieve fuel economy regulations while still trying to design a car people want to drive.
BigRobSA
TxAg20 said:

With CAFE standards, I don't think OEM is giving up easy MPG gains. Look at what VW risked to achieve fuel economy regulations while still trying to design a car people want to drive.

This is a commonly held belief that is absolutely wrong.

Speaking of VW, a good intake can gain you 16hp, like mine did on my Mk6 GTI, dyno verified. That was sans tuning for it, even. With my stage2+ tune, with 93 octane w/o ethanol and injecting meth into the engine, I got 41 mpg on tanks...calc'd. Computer said 38mpg. EPA for my car is 30.

Manufacturers do things for cost AND cafe.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
BigRobSA said:

TxAg20 said:

Speaking of VW, a good intake can gain you 16hp, like mine did on my Mk6 GTI, dyno verified. That was sans tuning for it, even. With my stage2+ tune, with 93 octane w/o ethanol and injecting meth into the engine, I got 41 mpg on tanks...calc'd. Computer said 38mpg. EPA for my car is 30.

paging robertf03
Flaith
AG
BigRobSA said:

TxAg20 said:

LOL WAT

Did you go on a 350 mile road trip with the cruise set on 60 mpg the whole time?

What filter do you run? Previous owner of my car put an oiled filter in, and I want to change it out.

Also, what is your email? I need to discuss some troubleshooting with you regarding boost loss issues.
Duncan Idaho
Guitarsoup said:

Don't forget to install the stickers

Those stickers on the window ain't just for show - Steve earl
BigRobSA
Flaith said:

BigRobSA said:

TxAg20 said:

LOL WAT

Did you go on a 350 mile road trip with the cruise set on 60 mpg the whole time?

What filter do you run? Previous owner of my car put an oiled filter in, and I want to change it out.

Also, what is your email? I need to discuss some troubleshooting with you regarding boost loss issues.

No. 70 mph up 35N through Dallas, etc into OK. Now, it wasn't a regular happening, mind you, happened a couple times, but before K04 I got 35+ regularly.

Forge TwinTake. Two dry filters you can clean. People either hate the TT, or love it.

Email is username@aim.com.
sts7049
AG
aim? that still exists?
cz308
If or when something happens, don't bother calling K&N because they will just tell you that it's user error that dirt got around it. Either you didn't install it properly or you didn't oil it properly.

Junk, I wouldn't put K&N in any of our vehicles if it was given to me for free.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.