Chevy SS - May pull the trigger

10,816 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wiggletrace
AgTech88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With a 20% discount and manuals still available... it may be time. Anyone have any idea whether additional discounts may be coming before the stock of manuals runs out??

I love my 2006 CTS-V, but all of its little quirks and lack of modern accessories is beginning to wear on me. The SS scratches the same itch - big NA V8, manual, RWD, and more understated than the V. A nice comfy ride with the oomph just waiting patiently when the need or opportunity arises.

I usually get an extended warranty on my vehicles (don't want to get into the extended warranty debate, I keep cars forever and they have always paid for themselves times over) - curious about the reliability of this drive train and chevy's in general these days. It has been years since I have owned a GM Product. I know the SS has the magnetic suspension and all kinds of other mechanical gizmos which I assume are expensive repairs?

Any advice/opinions appreciated.
Complete Idiot
I bought a 2016 in the Fall with the previous 20%. My advice, if you are looking for a 20% off manual, is to act very fast. If you take a long time making up your mind they will be gone.

It does seem like the % of total that come with a manual is higher than previous years, but don't mess around as the SS Forum is full of people looking for them. HAving said that, may be a good number of 2015 and 2016 manuals available since people are trading in for the 2017's.

NO regrets on my purchase.
AgTech88
AG
C I - so you have a 2016 - happy with the acceleration/performance? Have you ever driven a 1st generation CTS-V for comparison? It is a PITA to get someone to let you test drive the SS and the couple times I have didn't have room/time to wind it up. My initial impression is that it doesn't "feel" as quick as my V - but I assume that is because it is a little more refined than a 10 year old car, and I didn't feel comfortable really dumping the clutch and hammering it. Also how effective/annoying is the traction/stability control? I can get my V sideways before the computer takes the fun out of it - assume the SS will take control a little sooner?

Any other comments you have on the SS would be appreciated.
Complete Idiot
Similar engine and transmission. SS weighs just under 4K so if the CTS-v is lighter then that might affect feel. Haven't driven a CTS-V so I can't compare, but I'd expect performance to be similar based on config. SS has had magnetic ride control since 2015 and can control exhaust baffle since 2016. You can turn the nannies off by double clicking the traction control button, then you are on your own.

That does not include the "have at it" mode I described above, which is undocumented
txyaloo
AG
I would be very concerned about parts availability. Holden is ceasing production after the current MY.

I've been hoarding GTO parts the last few years because lots of common things (BCMs, weather stripping, body parts, lights, basically anything model specific) are no longer available in the US. Lots of parts became no longer available while the car was still under warranty. I expect the G8 and SS to experience the same problems in 4-5 years.
aggieforester05
AG
Once again, it's a complete tragedy that a V8 manual rwd sedan is now a rare combination. The big three should all have competing models like the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. It's the perfect combo for the 25-45 crowd that still wants a muscle car feel in a package that is kid friendly.
03_Aggie
I want one but can't have one. Missed on the G8 (guy that test drove it when I got there never gave up the keys) and it looks like I'll miss on this one too.
AgTech88
AG
Thanks for putting me in the 25-45 crowd..... At least my right foot thinks its in that crowd.
Corps_Ag12
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Once again, it's a complete tragedy that a V8 manual rwd sedan is now a rare combination. The big three should all have competing models like the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger. It's the perfect combo for the 25-45 crowd that still wants a muscle car feel in a package that is kid friendly.

Nope, go buy your Honda Accord/Toyota Camry & have a good life.
aggieforester05
AG
I can think of few things that can zap a man's ego as much as having to drive a FWD, 4cyl, automatic sedan.

What it really means is that guys have to have two cars, one fun two door and one practical vehicle.
AggieEP
Another SS owner here, I followed this car for about a year before pulling the trigger and I couldn't be happier. Tons of room for kids in the back and the ability to drive a 6 speed hooked to a big V8 is unbeatable.

I've had no problems 8 months into ownership and based on the forums, I don't expect major problems in the near future either.

One thing that drew me to this car has been the consistent value retention of the G8 GXP'S over the years. I paid about 38k out the door on mine and I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect to be able to sell it for between 28k and 32k 4-5 years from now as long as I maintain it.
slappy
AG
Do the 17 SS models even come with a stick? I tried building one and couldn't select it.
Complete Idiot
slappy said:

Do the 17 SS models even come with a stick? I tried building one and couldn't select it.
Yes

No longer taking orders must purchase off lot
meggy09
AG
Cadillac is GM.
AgTech88
AG
sorry - recent GM product.....
Madman
AG
A coworker has one. Cool car. But the dealer has had his almost as much as he has. Always in the shop.
aggieforester05
AG
Sounds like my father's 2014 Silverado 6.2. The latest trip was $800 for an air conditioning system on a 2 year old truck with 60k miles.
Complete Idiot
Madman said:

A coworker has one. Cool car. But the dealer has had his almost as much as he has. Always in the shop.
whats it been in to the dealer for? What model year SS? I have heard of issues with power steering rack, squeaky brakes, recall on seat belt tensioner, and various build quality issues. Some of those only impact certain year models. I'd be interested to hear whats happened to his so I know what to look out for.
Madman
AG
He's out this week so can't ask him but it's a 16.

It's been missing from the parking lot one week out of three the last several months.
swood
AG
I have a 2016 Chevy SS (mystic green, a6, spare, no sunroof) that I am thrilled with. It did spend a few frustrating months at the dealership before I took delivery in October. There was a seat belt recall and federal law prohibits dealers from selling a car with an outstanding safety recall, so it had to sit until parts were available. It hasn't needed to go back since.
Complete Idiot
swood said:

I have a 2016 Chevy SS (mystic green, a6, spare, no sunroof) that I am thrilled with. It did spend a few frustrating months at the dealership before I took delivery in October. There was a seat belt recall and federal law prohibits dealers from selling a car with an outstanding safety recall, so it had to sit until parts were available. It hasn't needed to go back since.
Nice, three owners on Texags (at least) and maybe a fourth if OP takes the plunge, we need our own thread. I received my 2016 Regal Green M6 w/sunroof and inflator late October after a 4 month odyssey of recalls and emails with corporate. I've had no issues other than minor build quality complaints, but only at 2800 miles on the odometer.
swood
AG
If anyone is interested in buying a new SS, you might check with Phil at www.swood.com. I know he has a 2017 on order for stock, but not sure the color or options.

As someone mentioned above, the order window is closed so it is down to existing orders and inventory.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hmmmm.... username matches dealership website name.....
swood
AG
Strange indeed.
simplified
AG
Just pulled the trigger on a regal peacock green, six speed five minutes ago.

Couldn't pass up the 20% off this time around.

The car is "in transit" so not really sure when I'll get my hands on it. Pretty pumped.
La Fours
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I can think of few things that can zap a man's ego as much as having to drive a FWD, 4cyl, automatic sedan.

What it really means is that guys have to have two cars, one fun two door and one practical vehicle.
Here
Complete Idiot
simplified said:

Just pulled the trigger on a regal peacock green, six speed five minutes ago.

Couldn't pass up the 20% off this time around.

The car is "in transit" so not really sure when I'll get my hands on it. Pretty pumped.

Myron in Dallas?

Where are you located.

My car just got less rare - enjoy yours
simplified
AG
I'm in Houston but had miserable luck finding green/six speed combination in TX. Landed this one from Southern Chevrolet in Alexandria, LA.

Per the dealer - only 3% of the '17s are green and six speed.

Complete Idiot
Production numbers:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13XTQlI09IFECrsqla8Dg0ewNnwVNlEXSM45VWe9D_g4/edit#gid=1382129595

or go to

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/chevy-ss-general-discussion-forum/110073-all-chevy-ss-production-sales-information-breakdown.html

If that doesn't work
simplified
AG
Oh, cool.

Look like the regal peacock green, manual, no sunroof, spare (why is a spare tire an option???) build is pretty damn rare. Explains a lot, it was quite a pain in the ass to find given it's a $40k chevy.
Complete Idiot
Yes, hard to find that color - mine was shipped to me from a dealership in Wyoming. I put mine in a car show this past week, mainly to meet some other SS owners that said they would be there, and I got some compliments on the color.
AgTech88
AG
Well I snagged one - barely! Might be the most stressful 6 hours of my life ever. Local Dealer told me on Saturday he had one located in Dallas and was working the trade - same thing he tells me yesterday. By this morning I am suspicious and he tells me all the Texas cars have been sold out from under him. I panic and start calling all over the place....

I found a total of 7 truly available Silver Ice Metallic 6 speeds in the entire country. 1 in Denver that had a deal pending (but was told it was shaky), 1 in Seattle, Several in Cali, and 2 in Minnesota. I had deposits down on 3 different cars at one point and figured I was going to end up with driving one home from Seattle. Luckily Denver came through.

I started thinking about settling for the Dark gray and they all disappeared. The only thing still readily available is the god-awful orange - plenty of those around.

Long story short, with a little luck I will be picking it up in Denver sometime around the 16th..... Darnedest car buying experience I have ever had.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Do you mind sharing how negotiable they were, or was it just MSRP -20% and done.
Complete Idiot
rsmithtesiusa said:

Well I snagged one - barely! Might be the most stressful 6 hours of my life ever. Local Dealer told me on Saturday he had one located in Dallas and was working the trade - same thing he tells me yesterday. By this morning I am suspicious and he tells me all the Texas cars have been sold out from under him. I panic and start calling all over the place....

I found a total of 7 truly available Silver Ice Metallic 6 speeds in the entire country. 1 in Denver that had a deal pending (but was told it was shaky), 1 in Seattle, Several in Cali, and 2 in Minnesota. I had deposits down on 3 different cars at one point and figured I was going to end up with driving one home from Seattle. Luckily Denver came through.

I started thinking about settling for the Dark gray and they all disappeared. The only thing still readily available is the god-awful orange - plenty of those around.

Long story short, with a little luck I will be picking it up in Denver sometime around the 16th..... Darnedest car buying experience I have ever had.
Congrats! We suddenly have a bunch of SS owners on here

Your 6 hours of stress sounds nice compared to my fourth month roller coaster through the stop sale. I was minutes late on a couple cars @ 20% off, then the stop sale, then found one and put on hold not knowing if they would honor stop sale, lots of emails with corporate, months later get approval they would honor, then found ideal color (for me) out of state, more corporate emails, then they apply 20% to that one. It was a fun ride in some ways, I like the hunt and ended up with the 20% and the color I wanted.
AggieEP
I think we actually have 6 SS owners posting on here now. There are the 5 of us on this thread and I think one other guy who bought a Heron White 6MT just like mine.

Considering how rare the cars are, that's pretty cool that this board has that many.

I hope you all enjoy driving around town in your new muscle cars. I know it puts a smile on my face every time I open it up a bit and my daughter (3 years old) yells WEEEEEE Super Speed!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.