New whip

5,547 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by edwardsk2003
Jaydoug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well, my wife's new whip. 90D

50 year differential between this '17 Tesla and my '67 GTO. Mine sounds better. Hers is much faster off the light...

bam02
AG
Thumbs up to both. Especially the GTO.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Moar GTO pics!
Jaydoug
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Moar GTO pics!

Buck O Five
AG
Fantastic ride! Do you build these and select options, or pick one out of inventory? How are the logistics for her as far as charging and/or commute?

Hard to believe a small automaker has produced super car performance in a luxury machine that can drive itself and improve its performance via download in your garage while you sleep.
GTBullitt68
Jaydoug
AG
Buck O Five said:

Fantastic ride! Do you build these and select options, or pick one out of inventory? How are the logistics for her as far as charging and/or commute?.

Had it built. Put in a wall charger w/ 70A breaker (52A charging) and it works fine. Just got it so haven't gone too far in it just yet. She works from home so no commute.

I have had the opportunity to drive it alone once. Dadgum. It is unnervingly fast off the light. Not many gas burners on the street that could match up.
Mateo84
AG
This thread
Diet Cokehead
AG
Badass.
Jaydoug
AG
The wife admitted when she got home to racing a Vette that was rev'ing at her at a light. Said the speed scared her and she backed off quickly.

Didn't want me telling my sons. Yeah right.

We'll have to correct her technique and get her used to the launch.

easttexasaggie04
AG
Very cool. My uncle lives real close to the Tesla factory. They are all over the place there. People seem to love them. I'd love to have one someday.
sts7049
AG
i think you missed one aspect of rule one in this thread
Aggietaco
AG
I see 5-10 of these a day in Austin and still can't get used to them not having a grille.
agnerd
AG
Pro tip: Don't google image search 90d at work...
Jaydoug
AG
Aggietaco said:

I see 5-10 of these a day in Austin and still can't get used to them not having a grille.

Yeah, you'd figure they would have a grilled to allow air flow they the vents like the olden days so you don't have to pull the A/C juice while cruising the freeway in the rain. Guess that'll be the next upgrade.
hatchback
AG
Jaydoug said:

Aggietaco said:

Yeah, you'd figure they would have a grilled to allow air flow they the vents like the olden days so you don't have to pull the A/C juice while cruising the freeway in the rain. Guess that'll be the next upgrade.
I wonder if the aero advantage to removing the grilles outweighs the potential battery loss due to using the A/C in your scenario?
dubi
Jaydoug
AG
hatchback said:

Jaydoug said:

Aggietaco said:

I wonder if the aero advantage to removing the grilles outweighs the potential battery loss due to using the A/C in your scenario?

Good thought. Likely. Damper at the grill.
Texker
AG
Checked out the Tesla store in Northpark. Awesome.
Buck O Five
AG
Weaponizing green technology.
aggieforester05
AG
Test drove a P90, awesome car, pan to drive the D version next time.
Jaydoug
AG
I got my electric bills in. The garage with its garage apartment is on a separate drop. So the Tesla charger is on that meter. The apartment is not being used since my son is in college.

Much to my delight, you can see clearly when the Tesla was charged and pretty much how much it drew compared to non-charging days. I'll be compiling a spreadsheet to calc the energy cost per mile and compare it to my gas burners.

wessimo
AG
Is your area deregulated? If so you should switch to one of the plans that offers free power at night. TXU offers one.
Jaydoug
AG
wessimo said:

Is your area deregulated? If so you should switch to one of the plans that offers free power at night. TXU offers one.

I'm in the middle of Houston so I doubt it.
dubi
AG
Jaydoug said:

wessimo said:

I'm in the middle of Houston so I doubt it.
Houston has deregulated electricity. Google!

TXU free nights
Jaydoug
AG
So, i ran a calc on the Tesla.

Charged it up Saturday. Cost of power that day was $5.70 for the garage and empty garage apartment. Normal non-charging cost per day averages $1.70.

So that's $4 of "fuel".

The car was at 177 miles when we started charging and I stopped it at 250 miles (had to close garage for the night.). So that's 73 miles of charge.

Fuel consumption was 18.25 miles/$.

Cost of Premium (considering it is a performance vehicle) at local stop-n-rob'em is $2.60/gallon.

18.25 miles/$ x $2.60/gallon = 47.45 miles/gallon (equivalent)

I'm going to run this over time to get an average.
Jaydoug
AG
So the car tells me my avg usage over the last 30 miles is 327 Wh/mile.

0.327kWh/mile x $.139/kWh = 0.04545 $/mile

Or, inverted, 22.00 mile/$

Using the same fuel equivalent of $2.60/gallon

22.00 x 2.60 = 57.20 mile/gallon (equivalent).

My charger is installed on a smaller separate transformer than runs the garage and garage apartment. If I tied it to my house system which runs a larger load at a lower rate bracket ($0.095/kWh) I could get as much as 84 mile/gallon (equiv) based on better "fuel" cost.

All that said, I've made up for the reduction in ground based ozone by driving my GTO more.

hatchback
AG
It's too bad that Tesla didn't put the charging port behind the license plate.
lb3
AG
AggieKatie2
AG
I want one bad, but how do you justify the sticker price
RK
AG
Same as you would justify the purchase of any luxury item, I suppose.
La Fours
AG
Or just buy one used from Texas Direct Auto. Saw a Tesla with the TDA license plate holder the other day. Made me curious as to the resale value.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I doubt someone dropping 6figs on a car cares about saving $50/month on electricity
YouBet
AG
The coolest thing about this thread is your wife attempting to race a vette.
robertcope
Wow, someone in the middle of Houston that doesn't know they can choose their power provider? That's hilarious and scary at the same time.

Check out Energy Ogre[1]. For $10, they look at your usage, compare it to plans, and pick the best plan for you. Typically you change providers every six months or so. They saved me at LEAST 50% off my electric bill. I have zero affiliation with them other than being a customer.

robert

[1] http://www.energyogre.com/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.