Check your lug nuts tonight

12,144 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by will.mcg
HumbleAg04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag for Life said:

I was commuting home the other day on I-30 and passed a box truck in the left lane and thought nothing of it. A few seconds later I see an explosion in my right hand rear view mirror. My sphincter immediately puckered up tight as I saw this box truck's left rear wheel and tire (outside one as it was a dually) detached and heading straight for me like it was attempting to pass. I said several OH ****S! and OH ****S! and stepped on it. It gained on me but never passed and eventually started drifting toward the median.

It happened so fast I was kind of in shock. The inside rear tire on the driver's side of that truck blew up and sent the outside tire AWOL. That was a first for me and I'm glad it didn't hit anyone or anything. If you drive enough miles you're bound to see some crazy **** I suppose.

Was in the left lane on 610N around Beechnut doing ~75 minding my own business on a nice day and looked out the passenger window and saw an older african american gentlemen driving an 80s lincoln... on its roof passing me. We locked eyes with terror on his face as he white knuckled the steering wheel and he thankfully drifted to the shoulder and made a fairly soft impact there and stopped. I was past the scene before I processed wtf just happened and didn't get to stop and help but plenty of people did. Was a strange day.

Also saw a School Bus crash and pin a HPD car that was pursuing a high speed chase that passed me into the left wall on 610N near Memorial. Tine gonna Tine.
will.mcg
AG
HumbleAg04 said:

Ag for Life said:

I was commuting home the other day on I-30 and passed a box truck in the left lane and thought nothing of it. A few seconds later I see an explosion in my right hand rear view mirror. My sphincter immediately puckered up tight as I saw this box truck's left rear wheel and tire (outside one as it was a dually) detached and heading straight for me like it was attempting to pass. I said several OH ****S! and OH ****S! and stepped on it. It gained on me but never passed and eventually started drifting toward the median.

It happened so fast I was kind of in shock. The inside rear tire on the driver's side of that truck blew up and sent the outside tire AWOL. That was a first for me and I'm glad it didn't hit anyone or anything. If you drive enough miles you're bound to see some crazy **** I suppose.

Was in the left lane on 610N around Beechnut doing ~75 minding my own business on a nice day and looked out the passenger window and saw an older african american gentlemen driving an 80s lincoln... on its roof passing me. We locked eyes with terror on his face as he white knuckled the steering wheel and he thankfully drifted to the shoulder and made a fairly soft impact there and stopped. I was past the scene before I processed wtf just happened and didn't get to stop and help but plenty of people did. Was a strange day.

Also saw a School Bus crash and pin a HPD car that was pursuing a high speed chase that passed me into the left wall on 610N near Memorial. Tine gonna Tine.
What was on it's roof? The driver? Was he driving or hanging on for dear life?
HumbleAg04
AG
will.mcg said:

HumbleAg04 said:

What was on it's roof? The driver? Was he driving or hanging on for dear life?

Yeah that wasn't clear. The car was on its roof. I was being passed by a car skidding on its roof. Was surreal.
Complete Idiot
Another "lucky to be alive" submission

sts7049
AG
box truck driver almost saved that rollover
Burdizzo
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I had a case once where a guy died when this happened. It was on a race track (small town) and he was in the pit area (outside the track) and a wheel came off a car on a turn, rolled, came up and hit him in the head. He was killed instantly.

This is no joke. I hope the guy recovers.

My brother owns a tire shop. Years ago he had a customer bring in a trailer for a new tire. While they were replacing the tire, they noticed the hub was loose and ought to be fixed. They informed the owner who asked if they could fix it. Brother's shop declines because they didn't have the parts, but they tell him he needs to get it fixed somewhere else.

About a week later this customer loses the wheel driving IH-35, and it ends up in the front seat of a car coming the opposite direction. Of course, my brother got sued for not fixing something that he could not fix.
sts7049
AG
http://www.click2houston.com/news/driver-injured-after-large-bolt-smashes-through-windshield
Complete Idiot
rebag00
AG
Driving on I-30 near MacArthur & Belt Line about 5 years ago. I was on my way to a job site and It was well before dawn so I didn't notice the 1/2 leaf spring that had broken off some unknown vehicle some time before in my lane. I was doing around 65-70, and there was a guy behind me who had been driving there for a few miles about 6-7 car lengths back. Almost no one else on the road at that time.

VERY loud bang and shudder. I was worried something had hit or possibly fallen off my car, as I hadn't noticed any debris. So, I pull over, to check for damage and to make sure I still had all my parts. Guy behind me pulls right over too. The 1/2 leaf spring is embedded on the right side of the drivers headrest, and thru into the security cage. (It was a work van.) Guy said he saw it and was able to dodge the van and flinch left just a bit and it missed him completely. His wind shield had held (shattered, but didn't collapse), though there was a roughly brick-sized hole in the middle of it.

He was pretty shaken up. I wasn't sure what to do (no injury, no fault, etc...). He called the police and his boss. Cops got there and said I was okay and I left. Craziest thing. Inches from death or severe injury at least.
Jack Cheese
AG
Burdizzo said:

91AggieLawyer said:

I had a case once where a guy died when this happened. It was on a race track (small town) and he was in the pit area (outside the track) and a wheel came off a car on a turn, rolled, came up and hit him in the head. He was killed instantly.

My brother owns a tire shop. Years ago he had a customer bring in a trailer for a new tire. While they were replacing the tire, they noticed the hub was loose and ought to be fixed. They informed the owner who asked if they could fix it. Brother's shop declines because they didn't have the parts, but they tell him he needs to get it fixed somewhere else.

About a week later this customer loses the wheel driving IH-35, and it ends up in the front seat of a car coming the opposite direction. Of course, my brother got sued for not fixing something that he could not fix.

Was the suit successful?
agracer
AG
Driving down I-44 in OK and an SUV passes me, not 20s later he's rolling over in the fast lane!

His diver's side front tire had come off. Everything (except him) that was in his car was scattered all over the road and the SUV came to a rest on it's roof. He had his belt on, and crawled out, across to the shoulder and vomited all over the place.

The wheel shot over the median into oncoming traffic...I don't think any of the oncoming cars hit it and it ended up on the opposite shoulder.
coyote68
Good grief. I quit riding horses a few years ago because at my age unauthorized dismounts can be injurious. I may rethink.
harge57
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Someone needs to pair this up with the old lady throwing the tire through the window in the old discount tire commercial.

PooDoo
AG
sts7049 said:

He didn't save sh*t... impact knocked him into the passenger seat.
aTm2004
AG
PooDoo said:

sts7049 said:

He didn't save sh*t... impact knocked him into the passenger seat.
Burdizzo
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Burdizzo said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Was the suit successful?

My brother only had to pay his lawyer, so I guess you can call that a success.
TexAg1987
Burdizzo
AG
And then he got kicked off a United Airlines flight.
pnut02
AG

C Loves L
I thought this was going to be about the guy in my neighborhood that had the wheels stolen off his brand new GMC truck. Left on blocks with one brake system touching the concrete in his drive way.
Buck O Five
AG
C Loves L said:

I thought this was going to be about the guy in my neighborhood that had the wheels stolen off his brand new GMC truck. Left on blocks with one brake system touching the concrete in his drive way.

If only homes came with an area that a vehicle could be safely parked inside.
CanyonAg77
AG
And yet another....

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/freak-accident-california-freeway-driver-killed-flying-tire-newhall/
Quote:

A driver was killed on a California freeway when a tire flew off another vehicle and crashed through his windshield, CBS Los Angeles reports.
The freak accident, which took place in Newhall, shut down the southbound 14 freeway for hours.
At about 2:30 p.m., a tire from a 1986 white Cadillac came loose, and flew across the freeway from the northbound side and slammed into the windshield of a Hyundai on the southbound side.

Silvy
AG
I had a close call of the same scenario a few weeks ago.

Heading west in the left lane on 225 near BW8, in the eastbound lanes I see an 18 wheeler wheel/tire assembly rolling and slightly bouncing from the outer lanes towards the inner lanes. By the time the assembly got to the inner shoulder, the slight bouncing turned into 4'-5' bounces.

I had an 18 wheeler to the right of me so I wasn't able to change lanes, but the current projectory of the tire looked like it would be a close miss so I just hugged up against the 18 wheeler.

That assembly bounced over the jersey barrier and crossed into the westbound lanes right as I was passing the assembly.

There was a car 40 yards or so behind me, thankfully they saw it at the last second. Had they not swerved, they would've been dead.

I fcking hate driving on the east side of Houston.
TexasRebel
AG
This thread gives me an idea.
El Chupacabra
Knew a person who was destroyed when a runaway tire hit the passenger side windshield and continued through her and into the back seat. People who attended the funeral said it should have been a closed casket as the funeral home did a piss poor job of reattaching her head (or whatever they do).
sts7049
03_Aggie
Another one this morning. This is kinda scary

Quote:

TRAFFIC ALERT: Tire smashes into windshield, kills driver downtown

http://www.khou.com/mb/traffic/traffic-alert-fatal-accident-on-i-45-downtown/446160993

Hobbes01
AG
Somewhat surprised that the article says that no charges are likely to be filed. Obviously these events are accidents, but are drivers not responsible for keeping their vehicles in proper running condition? I have a hard time believing that a driver wouldn't feel some type of feedback as the tire gets looser and looser. Then again maybe at highways speeds there is very little wobble due to the rate of rotation? Craziness.
aTm2004
AG
Do you check your lug nuts before you get in the car each time? This is a sick world, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people out there who get their kicks by loosening them on cars in parking lots.
CanyonAg77
AG
Doubt it. Too much work. And to loosen a semi wheel would take an air impact wrench.
AlphaBean
AG
So this just happened and took out the car in front of me in the Dairy Queen drive through. That sucker came flying off 35. Holy ***** 7ft and woulda hit me instead.
will.mcg
AG
The driver was probably updating their twitter feed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.