Edmunds TMV vs. Dealer's "invoice"

1,036 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
dustin999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know I've read something about this before, but what's the deal with dealers who share their "invoice" pricing with you? A quick internet search revealed nothing, but I'm fairly certain I remember reading something about dealers providing an invoice pricing breakdown that is inaccurate or misleading.

In my case, I'm running an Edmunds report that shows the invoice pricing (TMV as they refer to it on edmunds) is around $41k, and the dealer is claiming the invoice price is at $48k. He even sent me the copy of the invoice via email, although as he said, "I'm not supposed to email this out, but I want you to have the facts."

I'm assuming this is total b.s. on his part to try to combat the transparency that Edmunds provides, but is there any chance he's right, that the invoice is different than Edmunds? Anyone dealt with this, and how did you handle it?

Also, can other dealers pull cars from a specific dealer? I.e. if ******* dealer A is not budging on the price on the exact truck I want, can I go buy the same exact car (same VIN) from a different dealer B, assuming they're willing to negotiate a better price? Dealers are required to transfer their inventory, right? The particular configuration I'm looking for is difficult to find.
a07nathanb
AG
Dealers are not required to transfer their inventory. Many times dealers do transfers to help each other since no dealer can keep every possible configuration in stock, but it's not required. If you're looking for something unique I would recommend ordering to get the exact configuration you're wanting. If you order you can get it from whoever you choose to do business with.
Furlock Bones
AG
dustin999 said:

I know I've read something about this before, but what's the deal with dealers who share their "invoice" pricing with you? A quick internet search revealed nothing, but I'm fairly certain I remember reading something about dealers providing an invoice pricing breakdown that is inaccurate or misleading.

In my case, I'm running an Edmunds report that shows the invoice pricing (TMV as they refer to it on edmunds) is around $41k, and the dealer is claiming the invoice price is at $48k. He even sent me the copy of the invoice via email, although as he said, "I'm not supposed to email this out, but I want you to have the facts."

I'm assuming this is total b.s. on his part to try to combat the transparency that Edmunds provides, but is there any chance he's right, that the invoice is different than Edmunds? Anyone dealt with this, and how did you handle it?

Also, can other dealers pull cars from a specific dealer? I.e. if ******* dealer A is not budging on the price on the exact truck I want, can I go buy the same exact car (same VIN) from a different dealer B, assuming they're willing to negotiate a better price? Dealers are required to transfer their inventory, right? The particular configuration I'm looking for is difficult to find.
there's no way the invoice is 7k more than what edmunds is showing unless there are a bunch of BS dealer add ons.

what are you trying to buy and what options?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.