My dad totaled his X5 last week

8,432 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by VitruvianAg
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad totaled his BMW X5 last week and is looking to me for suggestions on a replacement SUV. I think he might looking to get something different since his last two cars were X5's. Picking out cars is such a subjective thing but here are the suggestions I gave him. What would you add in the mid-sized SUV market?

He's a 67 year old 6'2" guy who doesn't do any outdoorsy type stuff.

- Toyota Highlander
- Grand Cherokee (not sure about quality)
- Lexus RX (he said they're too small for him)
- Lexus GX (he said a friend of his had one and didn't like it)

Any other suggestions for a luxury or loaded mid-size SUV?
akaggie05
AG
Mercedes GL?
robertcope
Porsche Macan?
Whitetail
AG
2017 Bentley Bentayga

drewser95
AG
Whitetail said:

2017 Bentley Bentayga
...with the $160K Breitling clock option or GTHO

The 4Runner Limiteds are pretty nice. He should definitely check out the GX for himself. Highlander and RX are probably the most practical of the four Toyota choices though.
EskimoJoe
We had a 2013 Cherokee and were happy with it. Had the head tick fixed under warranty which isn't a problem with the new ones anyway. I wouldn't be too worried about quality. It is a Chrysler but it isn't 1998 anymore.

Has the hellcat Cherokee been released yet?
aTm2004
AG
robertcope said:

Porsche Macan?

This or a Cayenne.

Since his last 2 vehicles were BMW's, he seems to be cool with maintenance costs, so I'd also suggest an Audi SQ5.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Macan or Cayenne

My friend's dad has a Cayenne with 160k on it & it runs like a top with regular maintenance.
Buck O Five
AG
The dynamic driving characteristics of the X5 of years past may be best matched by the new Jag F Pace or the porsche suvs.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZZLF86dKj9wDKDUnTmftySmOEiFFWuD6BmS3ysDrU4gp2mO44
AgCPA95
AG
aTm2004 said:

robertcope said:

Porsche Macan?

This or a Cayenne.

Since his last 2 vehicles were BMW's, he seems to be cool with maintenance costs, so I'd also suggest an Audi SQ5.
Cayenne, SQ5 or GLE43

He said an RX was too small and Macan is smaller than an RX.
javajaws
AG
Let's get the old fart into a Wrangler then maybe he'll want to take you on a trip to Africa.
Dill-Ag13
AG
javajaws said:

Let's get the old fart into a LAND CRUISER then maybe he'll want to take you on a trip to Africa.

FIFY
Aggielandma12
AG
Seven Costanza
AG
I think the Jaguar F-Pace looks pretty cool.
Buck O Five
AG
Ian Callum is the best in the business.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Explorer Platinum
mellison
AG
Maserati Levante. I saw one in Houston last week. I didn't even know they existed.
TRIDENT
AG
Cayenne S
aggiebq03+
As mentioned:
a07nathanb
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

He's a 67 year old 6'2" guy who doesn't do any outdoorsy type stuff.

Buick Enclave.
aggiebq03+
Another option:

Tone2002
He sounds like a perfect candidate for a Lincoln.
Diet Cokehead
AG
easttexasaggie0 said:

Want to hear something that will blow your mind? The new RX is bigger than the GX. Yea, it blew my mind too when we were shopping for my wife's new RX. I would prefer to drive an X5 any day over an RX, but the RX is bigger than the X5 and GX. Also, the GX has a terribly outdated interior.

RX Wheelbase: 109.8"
RX Length: 192.5"

GX Wheelbase: 109.8"
GX Length: 192.1"

Anyway, so we just drove and looked at almost every car in the Luxury SUV segment:

Lexus RX - This is what we got. Not my choice, but my wife wanted another Lexus. It's a nice vehicle for sure, but don't like the styling and it's boring to drive. Very nice interior.

Lexus GX - Feels like a tank. Very outdated interior. Lexus really needs to do a refresh or kill the model.

Mercedes GL350 - BORING. We both thought it was blah on the exterior and interior. Nothing to get excited about even though we wanted to like it. Turning radius is very impressive though.

Volvo XC90 - I really liked it, but the wife didn't. Her car, so we moved on.

Infinity QX70 - Nice looking vehicle. Boring drive. Interior seemed subpar compared to Lexus and Merc.

BMW X5 - My favorite, but i'm a bimmer fanboy right now and can admit it. Driving an M5 will do that to you.

Jaguar F-Pace - We both loved this SUV. It drives great and looks awesome. The only problem was it was a tad too small for what we needed or we would have bought this one for sure.
Tim Weaver
aggiebq03+ said:

Another option:

Yup yup. Volvo is making some really tasty new cars.

Also, +1 for the Cayenne.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
My .02...and probably worth only that much....

Diet Cokehead said:

easttexasaggie0 said:

Want to hear something that will blow your mind? The new RX is bigger than the GX. Yea, it blew my mind too when we were shopping for my wife's new RX. I would prefer to drive an X5 any day over an RX, but the RX is bigger than the X5 and GX. Also, the GX has a terribly outdated interior.

RX Wheelbase: 109.8"
RX Length: 192.5"

GX Wheelbase: 109.8"
GX Length: 192.1"

I'm still not sure I like how the sloped the rear roofline of the RX and have those funny shaped windows.
Quote:

Lexus RX - This is what we got. Not my choice, but my wife wanted another Lexus. It's a nice vehicle for sure, but don't like the styling and it's boring to drive. Very nice interior.

This is why they sell so well. BUyers in this market expect a premium appliance that gets them from point A to point B with not a lot of drama.

Quote:

Lexus GX - Feels like a tank. Very outdated interior. Lexus really needs to do a refresh or kill the model.

Agreed. Using the same platform since 2009 actually with a MCE in 2013. I'm guessing 2019 will have a new model.

Quote:

Mercedes GL350 - BORING. We both thought it was blah on the exterior and interior. Nothing to get excited about even though we wanted to like it. Turning radius is very impressive though.

This is what Mercedes SUVs have become. Boring. Nothing to make it stand out in the market, other than the poor reliability.

Quote:

Volvo XC90 - I really liked it, but the wife didn't. Her car, so we moved on.

Jury is still out on engine Tech.

Quote:

Infinity QX70 - Nice looking vehicle. Boring drive. Interior seemed subpar compared to Lexus and Merc.

Agreed. Unchanged for 9 years already except for a refresh in 2011.

Quote:

BMW X5 - My favorite, but i'm a bimmer fanboy right now and can admit it. Driving an M5 will do that to you.

I like these too but long term reliability makes me shy away.

Quote:

Jaguar F-Pace - We both loved this SUV. It drives great and looks awesome. The only problem was it was a tad too small for what we needed or we would have bought this one for sure.

Seen a lot of these running around China already. Not sure what they'll turn out to be like long term. I like the look. The reliability over time will show whats up.
TexasAggie2006
AG
Jeep GC SRT8
aggiepaintrain
AG
Cayenne

+7
AG
I think he'd be disappointed going to a Lexus from a BMW. Lexus is the luxury brand for people who don't know any better

aTm2004
AG
robertf03 said:

I think he'd be disappointed going to a Lexus from a BMW. Lexus is the luxury brand for people who don't know any better

My MIL gets a new Lexus every 3 years or 60k miles (whichever comes first), and she's done this for probably the last 20 years. My FIL would buy her any car she wants, but she likes the comforts that the Lexus has as well as the reliability. To my knowledge, they've never had any issue (major or minor) with any of them. That is important to her as she would much rather drive to New Jersey to see one of her daughters, then drive up to Michigan to see Mackinac Island, and then to the family farm in Iowa...alone. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc all make nice vehicles, but they don't touch Lexus when it comes to making a reliable vehicle.
easttexasaggie04
AG
That's kinda what I was thinking. My dads first X5 gave him all sorts of problems.
Corps_Ag12
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

My .02...and probably worth only that much....
Quote:

Seen a lot of these running around China already. Not sure what they'll turn out to be like long term. I like the look. The reliability over time will show whats up.

If it's any indicator, my mom has had 2 Jag XF's since they were released and neither one has had any mechanical issues. First one went to 110K before my dad traded it in (he's weird like that), the current one has around 40-50k right now i think.

The only issue is she keeps running into things with her current one.
Diet Cokehead
AG
robertf03 said:

I own both and Lexus has much better customer service experience than BMW. Lexus really knows how to treat their customers.

He'd probably be disappointed going from BMW to Lexus because the driving experience is way better with BMW, but Lexus is much better than BMW as a far luxury treatment goes.
Nom de Plume
AG
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk comes out this year.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Nothing to make it stand out in the market, other than the poor reliability.
aggiebq03+
Lambo:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.