Help with 2014 Toyota Corolla - chronic windshield fogging

3,157 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
USGA77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 2014 Toyota Corolla that I bought new, still under manufacturer warranty. For several months, in all kinds of weather, the inside of the front windshield fogs up and stays that way no matter what I try. I've run the defroster, drive with windows down, cleaned the inside of the windshield, and replaced the cabin air filter.

The other day, in dry 75 degree weather I drove it on a two hour trip and couldn't keep the windshield from fogging up no matter what I did with the climate control system--ran the A/C, turned the A/C off, drove with windows down, ran the defroster, and nothing seemed to do the trick. It's not enough to be a safety hazard, but it is an annoyance. It seems to be worse on the bottom third of the windshield.

As an aside, I have a 2009 Camry and I don't have this problem at all. I can drive the Camry in the same weather and it operates normally. I know how to defrost a windshield in cold/wet weather that causes normal brief fogging, so that's not the issue. I live in central Texas, FWIW.

Is it possible that a bad heater core is the source of the problem? Or something else, such as a bad seal? Any thoughts on how I approach the service writer at the dealership on this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

aTm2004
AG
What's the cost of windshield replacement on your insurance? Toss a brick at the windshield and spend the $100 (my cost) to get it replaced to see if that fixes the problem. Other than that, I've got nothing.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Call the dealer, they will remedy.
beachfront71
AG

This happened to us.. the AC drain valve was clogged and overflowing back into the car just enough to cause fogging/humidty issues.

It was hard to find wet spots in the carpet because the padding is thick but you might want to check all over.
Goose
AG
beachfront71 said:

It was hard to find wet spots in the carpet because the padding is thick but you might want to check all over.
sts7049
AG
it's just water correct? doesn't smell sweet or anything?
CrottyKid
AG
Stop mouth-breathing.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you have a clogged vent, look on the pass floorboard under the floor mat. Often times, the pass carpet will be wet.

If thats the case, you can clean the drain.

On the previous Gen Corolla, you could pull the pass carpet back and there would be a black hose with a white segment around 3-5" long.

Make sure you have lots of towels and a small bowl or pan to catch the water. Disconnect the right side of the white fitting and let the water drain. The right side that goes through the floorboard will most likely be clogged with dirt or lint or whatever.

Use a screwdriver or something to clear out the hose and then reconnect it.

Also, when you use defrost, the AC should be ON, and you should be using fresh outside air, not on recirculate.

But the fog is a telltale sign of a drain clog or a heater core leak. I dont imagine you have a heater core leak at this age of car.
USGA77
AG
Thanks for all the replies, this helps me narrow it down when I run it into the dealer for warranty service.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
USGA77 said:

Thanks for all the replies, this helps me narrow it down when I run it into the dealer for warranty service.
Would take you about 20 minutes to fix this yourself.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.