Dealership "Can't hear the noise" - Engine lifter ticking

7,406 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sea Gull
Sea Gull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took the 2015 JKU in for the infamous Penstar Lifter ticking. I sent a video of it ticking to my brother in law, I took it into a random shop (they heard it instantly), and then showed it to the dealership tech (who said "oh man, this thing is really ticking"). Anyways, I get a call from them a day later saying they can't hear the noise. I sent them the video of it ticking and basically told them they were going to hear it if I had to drive up there to show them.

I'm so annoyed right now. After two weeks, I don't feel like this would just magically solve itself. I did change the oil and oil filter, but it still had that stupid ticking sound afterwards. Anyone ever dealt with this crap?
Tagguy
AG
Jeeeep Braaaaah
Sea Gull
AG
I love it! But I hate that stupid ticking. And I'm tired of not driving it.
akaggie05
AG
Had the same issue on our 2012 JKU. Ticking, dealer first tried blaming it on "dirty oil" after the "tech ran some tests." Lol. Then they tried an ECU flash.

After the first two visits I got fed up, printed out the Chrysler TSB that clearly instructed them to change the driver side cylinder head when presented with ticking and the particular OBD code (can't remember which one now), and jammed it in their face. They got moving on the head swap that day. Idiots.
aTm2004
AG
I had some strange rattle on my Frontier a few months after I bought it, and I took it in under warranty. I explained that it only happened when the engine was cold and accelerating, but went away after warm up. They called later that day and said they couldn't hear what I was talking about. I went up the next morning and took the service manager and a tech on a ride down the street. The entire time the service manager was jabber jawing about how some noises are common. I eventually told him to STFU because it's hard to hear a noise when he's filling our ears with BS. The tech sat quietly in the back seat and just said "I heard it and know exactly what it is." I picked it up later that day and haven't had it happen since. Truck will be 10 years old in July.
permabull
AG
Sea Gull
AG
I'm about to call and ***** them out.
HumbleAg04
AG
Duck Patrol said:

I'm about to call and ***** them out.

Do it. All dealerships pull this *****
sts7049
AG
sounds like a battle i had with mazda on my former cx9. it took several trips and discussions with managers before they finally admitted that it was not a "normal new car sound". but they did give me a new non ticking engine in the end.
Sea Gull
AG
Just talked to the service guy. They "finally" heard the noise, and it's the lifters. I confirmed it's under warranty.

I've never had to deal with this before...will my rental car be covered as well? Has anybody ever done this?
txyaloo
AG
Chrysler's standard warranty doesn't cover a rental car. The dealership might choose to offer one
Sea Gull
AG
Ok, thanks for the info. I wasn't expecting it...
aTm2004
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Just talked to the service guy. They "finally" heard the noise, and it's the lifters. I confirmed it's under warranty.

I've never had to deal with this before...will my rental car be covered as well? Has anybody ever done this?
You own a Chrysler product...no.

If you don't own one of the luxury brands (MB, BMW, Lexus, etc) then you're on your own for a rental. The only American brand that I'm aware of that gives loaners for warranty work is Cadillac. My mom even gets them when she gets her oil changed.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
aTm2004 said:

Duck Patrol said:

You own a Chrysler product...no.

If you don't own one of the luxury brands (MB, BMW, Lexus, etc) then you're on your own for a rental. The only American brand that I'm aware of that gives loaners for warranty work is Cadillac. My mom even gets them when she gets her oil changed.
THIS.

Forgive the long ass post....

I'm a little surprised why folks demand/expect a loaner car.

Here's my understanding of the loaner car system in most dealers for high end (Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Lincoln, Jaguar, LR, etc):

1. While under warranty, 'courtesy transportation' is provided by the dealer, and most of the time reimbursable by the manufacturer, the manufacturer will lease cars to the dealer on the cheap (your IS250 G25, C250 with no sunroof, no nav etc and ends up on Carmax and TDA lots later) , and/or the dealer buys cars off lease out for loaner fleet.

2. Out of warranty and customer pay, the dealer will 'eat' the cost of the loaner in order to get the business and keep customer satisfaction High.

Most typical high end owners mindset "I don't have time to drop it off at XYZ repair shop and get an uber/rental car...I lease a G37, I don't want to drive a Nissan Versa while my car is in the shop....the infiniti dealer has Infiniti loaner cars...."

When I had my LS460L, the dealer put a barcode on the glass. When I pulled in the service drive, a writer met me outside and addressed me by name and asked me what I was in for, and if I planned to wait or if I needed a loaner. While I only went in when it was for warranty service, it was nice to have the convenience. Which is partly why Lexus and Infiniti really stole a lot of business away from BMW and Mercedes when they entered the market in the 1990s, the service experience. Before, BMW and Mercedes didnt offer Loaner cars, nice waiting rooms, shuttles etc.

For most 'regular' brands, most manufacturer's new car warranties do not cover any kind of alternate transportation. Dealerships themselves may offer a shuttle service to your home/office/nearby shopping areas.

There are certain special situations where the manufacturer WILL pay for a rental. If it's a recall where the repair will take more than half a day, they'll reimburse the dealer for a loaner for the customer.

Extended warranties, whether from the manufacturer, sold from the F&I guy at the dealer, or purchased elsewhere, typically cover, or will offer at extra cost, rental reimbursement or loaner coverage. Ford even offers a warranty for "First Day Rental" so you don't have to wait to see if its a covered claim before getting a rental/loaner.

Some dealers do offer loaner cars but they're at a cost to the dealer, and generally NOT reimbursable by the manufacturer. These cars are usually provided to try to entice customers to buy from them instead of a competing dealer. Beck and Masten GMC, Hub Hyundai, John Eagle Honda are a few in Houston have tons of loaner vehicles running around Houston, and they advertise the heck out of them (big decals in the rear window). While these cars in the long run probably pay for themselves, it costs the dealers a lot to own and maintain a fleet of cars. Usually there's paperwork you sign saying that the car must be returned within 24 hours of the work being complete, additional fees may apply etc. This is why often times you see Enterprise or Hertz Local Edition inside dealerships.
Corps_Ag12
AG
The dealership where I bought my truck provides loaners for warranty work & I think the first two oil changes (also free of charge).
txyaloo
AG
One of the only domestic contracts I've seen where a loaner was required was with Ford's SVT products, but IIRC, providing a loaner was part of being an SVT certified dealer.
Jack Cheese
AG
What 1ags said. Loaners are the genie that the dealers can't put back in the bottle. Expensive customer accommodation that they wish they didn't have to offer. Lexus spoiled everybody.
aTm2004
AG
When my mom's SRX needed it's last oil change, the dealership scheduled to pick it up on a Friday afternoon from my mom's work. They brought her and brand new CTS that had less than 100 miles on it. That car was loaded to the tilt and the window sticker was north of $65k. I couldn't believe they gave her that for the weekend.
Sea Gull
AG
Good post. I wasn't expecting it; there was a sign up saying loaners were stopped on January 1st. It's fine, I'll pay a little bit. Especially when they're having to replace something in the engine block. Sucks ass, but it sure beats paying for the repairs. If they finish it tomorrow, it will have only been a week.
Old Sarge
AG
Not a Jeep, but waaaayy back in 97 my F150 (still have it from new) started a ticking lifter noise. I added an oil that was 5 viscosity higher on the low end that the factory spec. Drained and changed it. No tick. Still have 19 years later and use the same oil. No tick.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txyaloo said:

One of the only domestic contracts I've seen where a loaner was required was with Ford's SVT products, but IIRC, providing a loaner was part of being an SVT certified dealer.
I remember this too!

Ford did this in 2001 for all SVT Owners. Also supposed to wash and vac before returning to the customer. This was supposed to let the buyers feel like they were getting a premium product. Sadly most ford dealers no longer in house rentals, so they just farmed it out. Better than walking I guess.

sts7049
AG
sewell spoils everybody too
Sea Gull
AG
Old Sarge said:

Not a Jeep, but waaaayy back in 97 my F150 (still have it from new) started a ticking lifter noise. I added an oil that was 5 viscosity higher on the low end that the factory spec. Drained and changed it. No tick. Still have 19 years later and use the same oil. No tick.

I've heard success stories like that; however, ticking lifters seem to plague the Penstar motors. They were supposed to have fixed it in the 14 or 15 models. Plus, it's still under warranty so I'd rather just take care of it now.
Sea Gull
AG
Update: Finally got the dbag to call me back at 7:30 last night. Gave me the same update as Monday. It's supposed to be done by this evening. So we'll see...
Sea Gull
AG
FINALLY got it back today. And the ****ing thing is still ticking!!! I don't think they did a damned thing to it except wash it....is there any way to find out?

They were having a problem with closing out my "ticket" so they're supposed to email me the rest of the paperwork. I'm going to try to upload a video for y'all to hear.
Sea Gull
AG
Hopefully this works:

Before:
https://vimeo.com/206155473

After:

https://vimeo.com/206156004

Can someone with a more trained ear tell me anything? I could be wrong, but it sounds exactly the same...that ticking accelerates when I hit the gas.

"Invoice"

aggiepaintrain
AG
the tapping is different...
it's going faster now lol
Sea Gull
AG
So I'm not crazy? You still hear it? Worth going scorched earth at the dealership?
aggiepaintrain
AG
of course I hear it, just talk to service director and see how it goes, be nice at first
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
They only replaced 5 parts?
Sea Gull
AG
That's what they gave me...I'm still "waiting" on the actual papers. It looked really funny to me. I really wish I would've called them out on it while I was there.
Sea Gull
AG
1ags, that's not a normal engine sound, right? I'm no expert, but I don't think a 2015 Wrangler should sound like that.
a07nathanb
AG
Not normal sound.
Talk to service manager.
Be nice.
Get loaner.
Give them time. They'll figure it out
When they say it's fixed listen again
If noise is gone give back loaner keys
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Not normal to me.
Sea Gull
AG
Ok thanks guys...I'll call today again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.