Help Diagnosing Sound in Steering

1,523 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Weird sort of high pitched sound coming from my steering. This has been really intermittent the last few months. It'll happen on one trip and then not happen for several days or weeks. It's higher pitched while turning, and louder the higher the engine revs. Also I've never heard it when the engine is cold. Power steering pump maybe?

Oh yeah 2007 Honda CRV with 93k
TecRecAg
AG
Sounds like power steering pump to me. Notice any leaks?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
No leaks. Fluid level is fine, and not getting foamy or anything. Fluid definitely needs to be replaced, but it's not losing any.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Definitely ps pump. Found some posts & videos about a similar problem and a $5 o-ring might fix it. If not, will replace the pump.
Aggiehunter34
S
Have an 09 Accord with same issue. Let me know if the o ring works.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Does the horn work?
FaceMask
It's the "O" ring at ps pump. My 2004 tl did the dame thing twice. Costs like 5 bucks
will.mcg
AG
What's the significance of the horn not working?
EskimoJoe
You must be new around here
will.mcg
AG
Ha okay I haven't heard that one yet. I'll check my headlight fluid.

Actually my power steering fluid is low & my horn quit working around the same time. I did not think they were related but I was like whaaat? They ARE related?!
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Aggiehunter34 said:

O ring fixed it. $1.88 from Honda dealer. Disconnect the inlet and the o-ring will be inside or on the neck. Old one is black. New one is orange. See below for where it was on mine. Yours will be similar. Stuff some rags or paper towels underneath prior to removing the hose as there will be some fluid spillage and you don't want it getting on your belt.

Ok, here is the part you need. Old o-ring is black. New one is orange:

Remove the 10mm bolt on the inlet:

If the o-ring isn't on the hose neck then it will be in here where mine was

Put some new PS fluid on the new o-ring and put it on the neck. And reconnect to the pump.

Afterwards I sucked as much PS fluid out of my reservoir as I could using a turkey baster and replaced it with some new Honda PS fluid. Run the engine and turn your wheel lock to lock a couple of times and make sure the level is good in your reservoir. Good to go.
dubi
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Aggiehunter34 said:

O ring fixed it. $1.88 from Honda dealer. Disconnect the inlet and the o-ring will be inside or on the neck. Old one is black. New one is orange. See below for where it was on mine. Yours will be similar. Stuff some rags or paper towels underneath prior to removing the hose as there will be some fluid spillage and you don't want it getting on your belt.

Ok, here is the part you need. Old o-ring is black. New one is orange:

So.....Orange is the new black?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.