5.4 Triton Won't Start

1,949 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
PETE2019
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My roommate has a 2002 F-150 with a 5.4 210,000 miles. The truck turned over last night but wouldn't start. We (reluctantly) sprayed a little starting fluid in the intake a couple of times and it fired up and made it home. As soon as we got home he tried starting again, it fired and died after about a second, and wouldn't start again last night or this morning. We're going to start at fuel filter and then go to fuel pump but was wondering if anyone had a similar issue and what they did to fix it. Thanks.
MouthBQ98
AG
Test fuel pressure at manifold.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
What he said.

Truck also has fuel fitler.

Ever been changed?

Also check inertia switch. (should be pass kick panel)
PETE2019
AG
Changed fuel filter and tested fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and had about 3psi and won't start. No check engine codes either. I didn't think it would be inertia switch because when it did start and get home (about 3 miles) when we used a little starting fluid. I'm betting fuel pump but just wanted to see if there was something else I should check before we change it.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm going straight for the fuel pump.

Edit to add that I'm pretty sure the min fuel pressure spec on the truck is 28 psi. If you have 3 and that's not a typo, then there you go.
PETE2019
AG
Yeah it was only registering about that much and it was definitely getting fuel to the schrader valve. Thanks for the help guys, will replace the pump and hope it works!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Fuel pump.

Get a bunch of buddies and lift the bed off the truck and put it in the grass.
TexasRebel
AG
Pull the tail lights and disconnect the wiring harness first.

Also, disconnect the fuel fill tube from the fuel door.

Those should be the only things that prevent the bed from lifting straight up once unbolted.
cz308
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Fuel pump.

Get a bunch of buddies and lift the bed off the truck and put it in the grass.
If its anything like my 98 F150 was, it's easy to change out the fuel pump.
Old Sarge
AG
My 97 is throwing a "lean" code, and the usually VERY good mechanic cannot figure out why. If lucky, it hangs on a high idle of 900-1000 rpm and runs "well". If not, it's a ***** to ease into the tight garage cause it runs so rough. Fuel pump was changed a few years ago.

Ideas?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Old Sarge said:

My 97 is throwing a "lean" code, and the usually VERY good mechanic cannot figure out why. If lucky, it hangs on a high idle of 900-1000 rpm and runs "well". If not, it's a ***** to ease into the tight garage cause it runs so rough. Fuel pump was changed a few years ago.

Ideas?
P0171 and P0174?

Idles rough?

Check the PCV hose assembly towards the back near the firewall. Usually the rubber elbow eats a hole itself.

Comes as a new assembly. Also replace the PCV valve and grommet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.