Any experiences with E70 BMW X5?

6,368 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to buy a 2007-2010 BMW X5 (E70). Most likely with the 355 hp N62 4.8L V-8 engine.

I'm hoping to find one with less than 80,000 miles on it give or take. I recently rode with a guy in Vienna, Austria who had 277,000 kms on his 2007 X5 so, I'm not too worried about the mileage.

Please let me know your experiences with the X5 or anything I should be on the lookout for when I find the vehicle I want to purchase.

I previously owned a 2002 E46 BMW M3 so I have a pretty good idea about the running costs (oil, tires, etc.). An example of what I'm hoping to find out is something like how on my M3, the sunroof never really worked properly and BMW wanted like $2200 to fix it. After discovering this problem, I found out that it was a pretty common problem. There was also an engine issue which didn't apply to my M3 but had applied to earlier build dates.

I plan to purchase the vehicle in California, Oregon, Nevada or Utah during my next Bay Area trip coming up in a few weeks. I've already got the financing sorted out with USAA. I'll take any USAA Car Buying Service recommendations too.

Thanks!

Sample X5 Pic from Wikipedia
The Wonderer
AG
The N62 was not exactly a bastion of reliability (although it was better than its successor, the N63, that led to a class action lawsuit over oil consumption).

Nice vehicles otherwise. Some common problems are/were:

Quote:

The common problems with the N62 engine are:
[ol]
  • The Alternator oil seal
  • The leaking Coolant resovoir
  • The small coolant recovery hose on top of the rad
  • The peep hole leak by the water pump on the engine block
  • The diaphrams on the valve covers
  • The dreded valve stem seals
  • The valvetronic motor malfunction
  • the bad oil pump caused by bad LOF service
  • [/ol]
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852056
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    What he said about the N62.

Also the E70 still also ate window regulators.

Random bulb out messges.

Self leveling suspension sagging randomly.

Rear wheel camber issues

Timing Chain guides (plastic)

All in all, there wont be 'huge' issues, but it will nickel and dime you to death.
    txyaloo
    AG
    N62 also has issues with the valley pan gasket leaking.

At 80k+ miles, I'd expect to replace the entire cooling system (water pump, radiator, expansion tank, hoses) plus expect the valley pan gasket to start leaking before 120k. I'd expect to replace valve cover gaskets around that mark too.
    Buck O Five
    AG
    Very fun vehicle, much better steering feel than the newer models IMO.

Uneven rear tire wear on the two we had experience with.
    f2foxes2001
    AG
    The n62 is a beast of a motor. Have it in my 550i m-sport. What txyaloo says is correct. You are an experienced owner, thus you're not scared; but be prepared to sink roughly $5,000-7,000 into it. I have 146,xxx mikes on mine and I need an expansion tank hose and valve stems/gaskets on my next service.
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    f2foxes2001 said:

The n62 is a beast of a motor. Have it in my 550i m-sport. What txyaloo says is correct. You are an experienced owner, thus you're not scared; but be prepared to sink roughly $5,000-7,000 into it. I have 146,xxx mikes on mine and I need an expansion tank hose and valve stems/gaskets on my next service.
    N62B48....the N62B44 is whats in the X5 and nowhere near as beastly as the 48.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start scouring the BMW forums but I figured I'd ask TexAgs who I trust a little more before I started asking total randoms.

One lesson learned from owning the M3 is that if you own an "M", everything costs 2x what the regular model costs - just because. So, I'm definitely not looking for an X5 M version.

I'll let y'all know how I go in the next few weeks after I make the purchase.
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    HollywoodBQ said:

Thanks for the replies. I'll start scouring the BMW forums but I figured I'd ask TexAgs who I trust a little more before I started asking total randoms.

One lesson learned from owning the M3 is that if you own an "M", everything costs 2x what the regular model costs - just because. So, I'm definitely not looking for an X5 M version.

I know this has been discussed before, but I guess you're stateside again?
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    1 said:

I know this has been discussed before, but I guess you're stateside again?
    Not yet. I do have to travel regularly to San Francisco for work which as we all know - isn't Texas. But, when I'm not on the road, I'm still living the life on Sydney's Northern Beaches. I'm hoping to make my triumphant return to the USA in early 2018. However... I just applied for a job based in Singapore so, we'll see.

I've got both kids in college in the USA now so, there's not much reason for the wife and I to stay in Australia and continue to pay six figures in income tax for substandard infrastructure and a social safety net for the less fortunate (it's a really big net). The oldest kid graduates from A&M in May and at that point, I'm going to repossess my 1999 Expedition from her. So, I'm hoping the X5 will get her started off on the right foot financially (save the you should get her a VW Golf or a Toyota Yaris comments). Over Christmas, we reviewed a list of about 10 cars that I would be willing to purchase for her and the X5 was where our wants/needs and price point intersected. I kind of tried to push a Jeep Wrangler or a Ford Mustang (2015 or later) but, the Wranglers cost just as much as the X5. And apparently all girls in Texas get Ford Mustangs so she ruled that out. I still like that 2015 body style though.

She just rolled past 200,000 miles on the Expedition so, I'm very happy that she's made it through 4 years at A&M with my old car. What's funny is that she's cruising around in an 18 year old car and many of her friends cars don't last past 5 - 10 years. She was telling me about one of her friends complaining about how their car was really old - like a 2007. I had to laugh. This is totally not the same Texas A&M I went to 25 years ago.
    TSJ
    AG
    HollywoodBQ said:

So, I'm hoping the X5 will get her started off on the right foot financially (save the you should get her a VW Golf or a Toyota Yaris comments).

Wait, after several folks have linked list of unusual engine overhaul and chassis parts, you think this a good route for someone coming out of college? I mean if you're footing the shop bills go ahead, why not 4Runner that just needs oil changes?
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    TSJ said:

HollywoodBQ said:

So, I'm hoping the X5 will get her started off on the right foot financially (save the you should get her a VW Golf or a Toyota Yaris comments).
    Wait, after several folks have linked list of unusual engine overhaul and chassis parts, you think this a good route for someone coming out of college? I mean if you're footing the shop bills go ahead, why not 4Runner that just needs oil changes?
    You did see the reference where my 1999 Ford Expedition just crossed 200K miles, right? I haven't made a payment on that vehicle since 2004. I can afford a lot of repair bills if I've got no car payment.

What I'm looking for is a platform that I know for a fact my daughter can get 10 years or 120,000 - 150,000 miles out of. Also, one that has some measure of safety features and creature comforts. I know the BMW X5 will fit that bill. Is she going to get hit with a $1500 tire bill every 2-3 years?, yes. But, in the meantime, she'll have an opportunity to ease in to car ownership. Learn what she needs to know about taking care of her own car versus looking after my car which she's done a pretty good job of.

From a dollars and cents perspective, I couldn't get a 4Runner with the features I want for a price I'm willing to pay. The resale on them appears to remain abnormally high - just like the Jeep Wrangler.

And lastly (and this doesn't have to make any sense to you but it is something I value):
    Toyota 4Runner - 2010 - present, Assembly - Japan: Tahara, Aichi
    BMW X5 - Model years 2007 - 2013, Assembly - Greer, South Carolina, United States
    The X5 was built in the USA.

If I were in the market for a pickup truck, I would take a look at the Toyota Tundra built in San Antonio.
    TSJ
    AG
    Ok your mind is made up. I totally understand buying American.

Be sure to check out if the airbag has been replaced. It's under the takata airbag recall.
    agracer
    AG
    HollywoodBQ said:

I'm looking to buy a 2007-2010 BMW X5 (E70). Most likely with the 355 hp N62 4.8L V-8 engine.

I'm hoping to find one with less than 80,000 miles on it give or take. I recently rode with a guy in Vienna, Austria who had 277,000 kms on his 2007 X5 so, I'm not too worried about the mileage.

Please let me know your experiences with the X5 or anything I should be on the lookout for when I find the vehicle I want to purchase.

I previously owned a 2002 E46 BMW M3 so I have a pretty good idea about the running costs (oil, tires, etc.). An example of what I'm hoping to find out is something like how on my M3, the sunroof never really worked properly and BMW wanted like $2200 to fix it. After discovering this problem, I found out that it was a pretty common problem. There was also an engine issue which didn't apply to my M3 but had applied to earlier build dates.

I plan to purchase the vehicle in California, Oregon, Nevada or Utah during my next Bay Area trip coming up in a few weeks. I've already got the financing sorted out with USAA. I'll take any USAA Car Buying Service recommendations too.

Thanks!

Your friend in Austria give you copy of his maintenance bills...not only are the parts more expensive, so is the labor..oh, and the hours double 'normal' cars b/c they can be such a PITA to work on (have to remove 50-parts to change some simple sensor).
    KY AG
    AG
    Hollywood,

This is not sarcasm or meant to belittle, but I would go ahead and research an indy BMW mechanic wherever your daughter lives. Every 4 months or so, that thing is going to start to leak oil, or an electronic component will fail, or the flux capacitor will break and they only make them in Sri Lanka and it takes 6 months to get the part and they have to be installed by a trained Luftwaffe mechanic, etc etc. I've heard it all.

I love Bimmers having owned a few but they are psychologically taxing past 50k miles. My hope is your daughters will not be, but I would retain a mechanic in advance, just in case.
    txyaloo
    AG
    KY AG said:

Hollywood,

This is not sarcasm or meant to belittle, but I would go ahead and research an indy BMW mechanic wherever your daughter lives. Every 4 months or so, that thing is going to start to leak oil, or an electronic component will fail, or the flux capacitor will break and they only make them in Sri Lanka and it takes 6 months to get the part and they have to be installed by a trained Luftwaffe mechanic, etc etc. I've heard it all.

I love Bimmers having owned a few but they are psychologically taxing past 50k miles. My hope is your daughters will not be, but I would retain a mechanic in advance, just in case.
    So much this. For example, my water pump exploded on the side of I-10 in west Texas on a Sunday with no parts stores around. The closest part store would take 2-3 days to get the pump in stock, and I'd have to buy tools to replace it in their parking lot. There was no dealer and no independent mechanics within several hundred miles. So I got to pay a $1500 tow bill to get it dragged back to Houston. With a US V8, you can go to any parts store and get what you need fairly inexpensively.

I wouldn't expect a set of tires to last 2-3 years. When I was putting 10-15k miles a year on my X5, I was going through a set a year. The rear camber on the X5 really tears up tires.

So many common issues pop up over and over again. A BMW with >100k miles isn't a maintenance free experience.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    KY AG said:

Hollywood,

Excellent description of reality. When I owned my M3 in Los Angeles, I spent a ton on maintenance. Unfortunately, it took me 18 months before I found a great independent BMW mechanic in Glendale, CA. This guy would usually charge less than half what the dealer would charge. Sometimes the dealer would even want 3x what this guy would charge.

The most epic example was the windshield he replaced for $800 when the dealer wanted over $1800 to replace a freaking windshield. And before any non-BMW owners jump in, as KY AG described - the windshield had to be specially built by Pygmies in Zimbabwe using moon rocks sourced from NASA and could only be ordered by a member of Delta Tau Delta who was on double secret probation from Faber College. I think the part alone was $700.

One wildcard in this is that I don't know where she's going to wind up working after graduation. I am 99.9% certain it will be in the triangle bounded by Houston-Austin-Dallas. So, once we find that out, I'll probably be back for advice on any good local independent BMW mechanics.

While I'm thinking about it, the one thing that always chapped me about my M3 was the fact that at the time, I could only source the special crazy oil (Castrol 10W-60) and the filter through a dealer. So, instead of paying $250+ for an oil change, it still cost me $75 to do it myself in my backyard.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    txyaloo said:

So much this. For example, my water pump exploded on the side of I-10 in west Texas on a Sunday with no parts stores around. The closest part store would take 2-3 days to get the pump in stock, and I'd have to buy tools to replace it in their parking lot. There was no dealer and no independent mechanics within several hundred miles. So I got to pay a $1500 tow bill to get it dragged back to Houston. With a US V8, you can go to any parts store and get what you need fairly inexpensively.

I wouldn't expect a set of tires to last 2-3 years. When I was putting 10-15k miles a year on my X5, I was going through a set a year. The rear camber on the X5 really tears up tires.

So many common issues pop up over and over again. A BMW with >100k miles isn't a maintenance free experience.
    Thanks for the tip on the tire wear.

Your breakdown in West Texas reminds me of a guy I served in the National Guard with in Texas. Our Company Armory was in Brady, Texas but all 5 of the Officers in the Company lived in Austin. So, we'd all drive out there for drill one weekend a month.

Anyway, the Company XO was a bit of a weirdo. His father had been killed in Vietnam and he was the last living heir on both sides of his family. So... he would regularly inherit money. When I knew him, he would take in $20K-$50K every year from the estates of deceased relatives. So, this led to him spending money on all kinds of crazy stuff. Back in the day when a PC cost $3,000, he had a gaming PC that cost $7,000. He bought all kinds of Samurai swords and all kinds of other craziness. But, the reason your story reminded me of him was the Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4.

He was a single guy and would drive that thing out to Brownwood where the Battalion HQ was and he would cruise the strip in Brownwood on Saturday nights. That was kind of funny. We'd park at the Sonic and Brownwood girls would have a lot of interest in his car because nobody else in Brownwood had ever seen a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4.

So, one Sunday, he left the Armory a little after the rest of us and he got a flat tire. On the 3000 GT VR4, the front and rear tires were different sizes and they were directional. So, what this meant was that on top of being a tire size they didn't have in town, he had to order a tire for the specific wheel location where it was needed. Luckily, he was able to find one in Austin and get it delivered to Brady. But, he was stuck in Brady for two days waiting to get his flat tire fixed. So yeah, I've seen that.

As far as special tools... anybody need a harmonic balancer puller or worse, a long-reach harmonic balancer installer for a 4.7L V8 in a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee? I'm happy to part with both. None of the Jeep dealers in Australia could help me but, Auto Zone in the USA had both parts in-stock. I just had to get a friend to pay the $150 shipping for me.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    TSJ said:

Ok your mind is made up. I totally understand buying American.

Be sure to check out if the airbag has been replaced. It's under the takata airbag recall.
    Good idea. I hadn't even considered the airbag recall.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    agracer said:

Your friend in Austria give you copy of his maintenance bills...not only are the parts more expensive, so is the labor..oh, and the hours double 'normal' cars b/c they can be such a PITA to work on (have to remove 50-parts to change some simple sensor).
    Funny, we did talk about the maintenance costs. And yeah, honestly, lots of cars these days are ridiculous to work on. Even for things that should be simple like lightbulb replacements.
    txyaloo
    AG
    I know that problem well. I had it happen with my Lightning a few times. Those use a special tire size that at the time, no other vehicle ran. Pain in the butt living in the country and getting flats regularly. I ended up just ordering a spare to keep in my garage for when the inevitable happened.

Speaking of oil - I run Castrol European blend 0W40 in my X5 with no issues. The N62 doesn't need anything special. I also had a windshield replacement from Safelite several years ago that was $200 out of pocket. As long as you don't have the comfort glass windshield replacements are fairly reasonable.

I think if you set aside $10k for repairs over 150k miles you should be ok. I would proactively get the timing chain guides replaced at around 150k miles. That's around $4500. The guides tend to shatter out of nowhere and when they do the engine is typically destroyed. Cooling system replacement DIY using OEM parts is around $500 and a few hours of labor. Expect an indy to charge $1k or so.
    Diet Cokehead
    AG
    HollywoodBQ said:

2x the cost, but also 2x the fun.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    You're never going to hear me say that I didn't have fun with my M3. That car was an absolute blast to drive in SoCal - late at night or midday when the roads were clear. And I road tripped it to Vegas once. I only managed to get it up to 132 mph but it had plenty of power left.

But, like I said, it was just ticket scalper prices at every turn. Especially from the dealer.
    Diet Cokehead
    AG
    HollywoodBQ said:

You're never going to hear me say that I didn't have fun with my M3. That car was an absolute blast to drive in SoCal - late at night or midday when the roads were clear. And I road tripped it to Vegas once. I only managed to get it up to 132 mph but it had plenty of power left.

But, like I said, it was just ticket scalper prices at every turn. Especially from the dealer.
    I have an F10 M5 right now and 130 feels like 65 in normal cars. I'm under the maintenance plan for a good while so the only negative about owning it is that thought in the back of my mind that getting pulled over could mean not just a ticket, but possibly going to jail. It's just so smooth and the beast is always begging to be unleashed.
    1agswitchin4lanes
    AG
    I'll also echo the concerns about having to go in the shop.

Fresh graduate and right out of school, having to take the car in during the work week for repairs etc,and driving a "high end car" (yes even though its a used BMW), may draw unwanted attention from her employer.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    1agswitchin4lanes said:

I'll also echo the concerns about having to go in the shop.

Fresh graduate and right out of school, having to take the car in during the work week for repairs etc,and driving a "high end car" (yes even though its a used BMW), may draw unwanted attention from her employer.
    I am concerned about the unwanted attention, but she rejected my first two choices due to unwanted stereotyping - Jeep Wrangler, new Ford Mustang.

For the next 2 years, she'll still have access to my 1999 Ford Expedition if there's a situation where the BMW is in the shop for any lengthy duration.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    So, to follow up on this thread, I am now in possession of a 2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i with about 83,000 miles on the clock. It's Titanium Silver with Tan Leather interior, Navigation, backup camera and quite a few other things that I haven't figured out yet.

I picked it up in San Francisco this afternoon and drove it back to my hotel in Santa Clara. It drove great and driving 80+ mph the whole way down the 280, I averaged 18.2 mpg so, I'm pretty pleased with that. If I'd let up on the accelerator, maybe I could even get 20 mpg. We'll see.

I figured out how to do some basics like set the clock, operate the Navigation system, etc. and I got just enough precipitation to adjust the rain sensitive wipers. The iDrive system is pretty frustrating to operate until you figure out how to think in German (like Clint Eastwood stealing the Firefox plane from the Russians). I think I've got it down now.

The 350 hp V8 appears to have plenty of power. Others warned earlier in this thread about issues with tire wear on the rear tires. So, I'll keep an eye out for this. This vehicle came with a brand new set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires so that's a plus. Most importantly, they have the M+S designation on the tires so, if I drive this vehicle up to Tahoe on the weekend, I don't need snow chains. Yes, they do have roadblocks where they check these things. That's one of the reasons that I decided to get one with the 18 inch rims instead of the dope looking 20 inch rims. I couldn't find any M+S rated tires in the 20 inch low profile size.

I'll upload some pictures in a few days and let you all know how I go with the vehicle. Thanks for all the pre-purchase info.
    HollywoodBQ
    AG
    Still haven't got a chance to upload any pictures but... here's an update on the first 3 weeks worth of ownership of my 2009 X5 XDrive 4.8.

Including Tax, License, etc., the purchase price wound up being about $17,000.

Week 1
    The obvious thing it needed was new brakes which I got installed brake pads and rotors for $650 from an independent mechanic in Santa Clara that I found on Yelp. I was very pleased with their service. These days with Yelp, it makes finding a reliable independent mechanic easier than 10 years ago when I had my BMW M3 and had to rely on word of mouth.

After driving the vehicle for 2 days, I had two warnings pop up. One was a headlight adjustment issue and the other referenced the 2-stage brake light.

I took the vehicle in for these issues and the brakes. While it was in, I had the mechanic give it a good look over and he discovered a oil leak coming from the oil cooler lines. So... $20 worth of parts and $1500 worth of labor, the oil leak problem was fixed.

I picked the vehicle up on Friday afternoon and drove it up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend. I noticed that they had not fixed the rear brake light issue so we agreed that they'd fix it the next week. No issues on the drive except, I discovered one problem with the GPS.

The GPS issue is that I drove from Tahoe to Reno and there is a new freeway between Carson City and Reno that wasn't on the GPS. So, it was obvious that I needed to take the 580 but my GPS lost its mind because I was off the map. With the dead reckoning, it knew exactly where I was but, didn't know how to give me instructions for about 25 miles until I synced up with the known highway.

I'm sure this can be fixed by updating the navigation DVD. So that's probably $100-$200.

Week 2
    I'll start off with the drive back from Tahoe. It started snowing about midnight Saturday night so, I figured I'd get an early start on the drive back on Sunday. I left the hotel at noon. I was expecting a snow chain checkpoint so, I knew things would be a little slower but I had no idea how slow.

It took me 9 1/2 hours to drive 10 miles from Stateline, NV to the chain-up checkpoint near Meyers, CA.

The stop and go traffic gave me the opportunity to break out the owners manual and read up on the vehicle. So, I figured out a few things like - how to open the glove compartment, how to operate the rear wiper and what the fluid capacities were. Actually, the traffic wasn't stop and go, it was just stop. During the 9 1/2 hours of idling, I burned about 1/4 tank of gas. Also, looking through the owners manual, I found all the info from the previous owners including a few receipts from previous service visits. One of the service visits noted the oil leak so... that had been leaking for some time.

The X5 handled really well in the snow and ice. The only issue I uncovered was the fact that I needed to replace the passenger side wiper blade. It wasn't making contact with the windshield for about the last 6-8 inches so it was just dragging accumulated ice and snow across the window. Once I turned the defroster on, that solved the ice problem.

After my 14 1/2 hour drive back from Tahoe, the only thing I needed the mechanic to fix was the stage two brake light warning. To do that, they replaced two of the brake lights for the mild sum of $650.

So, by this point, I'm into about $3,000 or so worth of repairs. This brings my total spend up to almost $20,000.

Towards the end of Week 2, I get a warning that my windshield wiper fluid is low. No big deal, I stop into AutoZone for $2.50 worth of wiper fluid. I pour the entire gallon in. Later that evening, I park the car and observe a giant puddle of wiper fluid under the passenger side of the car.

I think it could be an overflow or it could be a cracked reservoir.

Week 3
    Drove the car from NorCal to SoCal. Drove like a dream.
    After about 5 days, the windshield wiper fluid alarm went off again.

Looking online, everybody says that it could be a cracked reservoir or it could be one of two pumps which appear to be located under the reservoir. In any case, it sounds like a $650 job, mostly labor.

I parked the car last night before flying home to Australia. It will be 50 days before I return to the USA so, I'm hoping the jumper cables I bought at Sears in Burbank on Saturday will do the trick before I drive it to Texas.

I need to order some BOSCH wiper blades because the replacement Rain-X ones I got at Target don't seem to fit properly.

So, after three weeks, the summary is $20K invested, 1700 miles driven, 1 pending headache (windshield reservoir) and 2 minor issues (wiper blades + updated Navigation DVD).

During Week 3, my younger daughter discovered that the Bluetooth works for the phone but not for media. That's an oversight on my part. I probably should have done some more research on that. It does work really well for the phone though.

After the drive to Texas, I'll stop back to comment if any other issues show up.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.