Toyota Supra A80 (93-98)

7,557 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HBCanine08
JAW3336
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always loved these cars and now I am thinking about buying one.

Anyone on here have one?

My thinking is that I Def want twin turbo and manual trans.

Would like a targa but not a necessity.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or anything.
permabull
AG
JAW3336
AG
Yep, I am definitely looking for as close to original as possible.
p_bubel
Good luck. And be prepared to cast your net wide and high.

I do think they'll wind up being worth even more money though.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Prices are high even for non turbo ones.
KY AG
AG
JAW3336 said:

I have always loved these cars and now I am thinking about buying one.

Anyone on here have one?

My thinking is that I Def want twin turbo and manual trans.

Would like a targa but not a necessity.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or anything.

Consider a Gen1 Lexus SC300, which are a lot easier to find. Same engine as Supra and some have the 5MT. SC was never offered with the turbo unfortunately but that doesn't stop you from adding one.

SC400's are also cool but they never came equipped with manual transmission.

Por ejemplo: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carthrottle.com/post/amp/this-lexus-sc300-has-supra-dna-and-monster-horsepower-for-the-price-of-a-compact-hatchback/
ILikeTacos
AG
To get a clean one with decent miles except to pay a poop ton. That's about all I got. You are looking for manual and turbo, so your price just went way up. At least you are looking for targa, the hard top ones pull even more due to their rarity. If you are looking for an interesting color (Baltic, anthracite, jade) then they get in the realm of stupidity on price.

Look for a red one, most common color if I remember correctly.
Corps_Ag12
AG
AG 07 said:

To get a clean one with decent miles except to pay a poop ton. That's about all I got. You are looking for manual and turbo, so your price just went way up. At least you are looking for targa, the hard top ones pull even more due to their rarity. If you are looking for an interesting color (Baltic, anthracite, jade) then they get in the realm of stupidity on price.

Look for a red one, most common color if I remember correctly.

For reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-/282351659601?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41bd786a51:g:HOQAAOSwopRYjpU0&item=282351659601

Also, a little internet sleuthing returned that they use the same block, so if you wanted to go through a rebuild of the motor you could theoretically build a TT id you start with an N/A & a manual. Swap the head, injectors, custom intake & exhaust (I'm sure their are kits), maybe forged internals, depending on how much power you want to put down. Oh, and the fuel system would probably need to be upgraded.
JAW3336
AG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Toyota-Supra-/282351659601?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41bd786a51:g:HOQAAOSwopRYjpU0&item=282351659601

That one is an automatic.

"Also, a little internet sleuthing returned that they use the same block, so if you wanted to go through a rebuild of the motor you could theoretically build a TT id you start with an N/A & a manual. Swap the head, injectors, custom intake & exhaust (I'm sure their are kits), maybe forged internals, depending on how much power you want to put down. Oh, and the fuel system would probably need to be upgraded."

This is an interesting option. I assume this could be done significantly cheaper than just buying a TT?

What is the feasibility of buying an Automatic and swapping in a 6sp manual?

BigRobSA
JAW3336 said:

"Also, a little internet sleuthing returned that they use the same block, so if you wanted to go through a rebuild of the motor you could theoretically build a TT id you start with an N/A & a manual. Swap the head, injectors, custom intake & exhaust (I'm sure their are kits), maybe forged internals, depending on how much power you want to put down. Oh, and the fuel system would probably need to be upgraded."

This is an interesting option. I assume this could be done significantly cheaper than just but a TT?

You can swap..but I have no idea how easily you'll be able to find the manual transmission in the first place.
DavidAg02
Used to own one... drove it for over 5 years. It was the most fun, and got more attention than any other car I've ever owned. With that being said, I would never own one again (unless I was willing and able to let it sit in a garage, and rarely ever drive it).

Just think about this for a second... 320hp for a stock sports car is really nothing these days. You can get a lot more car, for similar money, on something new or low mileage. Finding a stock turbo manual transmission Supra is going to be a needle in a haystack search. If you do find one and are willing to drop the cash on it... no, nevermind, I'm almost positive that won't happen. Most modded cars bring headaches that can get really annoying... electrical gremlins and engine codes because the wiring harness has been hacked up several times, cooling system issues due to bigger turbo and more boost, head gaskets, etc.
ILikeTacos
AG
DavidAg02 said:

Used to own one... drove it for over 5 years. It was the most fun, and got more attention than any other car I've ever owned. With that being said, I would never own one again (unless I was willing and able to let it sit in a garage, and rarely ever drive it).

Just think about this for a second... 320hp for a stock sports car is really nothing these days. You can get a lot more car, for similar money, on something new or low mileage. Finding a stock turbo manual transmission Supra is going to be a needle in a haystack search. If you do find one and are willing to drop the cash on it... no, nevermind, I'm almost positive that won't happen. Most modded cars bring headaches that can get really annoying... electrical gremlins and engine codes because the wiring harness has been hacked up several times, cooling system issues due to bigger turbo and more boost, head gaskets, etc.

Ding ding ding... A properly built modded clean supra will run you $50-60K. Real power ones get stupid expensive.
Corps_Ag12
AG
JAW3336 said:

This is an interesting option. I assume this could be done significantly cheaper than just buying a TT?

I know its an automatic, but it's also the only TT targa on the internets that is a reasonable price. Just trying to give you an idea of what you're getting into.
TSJ
AG
Another option that will be available next year is to grey market import one from Japan. I have no clue if there are stock models available, nor what they would go for, but something to think about if you are set on a Mk4.

...but I would rather have R32 GTR.
JAW3336
AG
I am stupidly considering $60k for a stock TT manual.

JAW3336
AG
DavidAg02 said:

Just think about this for a second... 320hp for a stock sports car is really nothing these days. You can get a lot more car, for similar money, on something new or low mileage.

What can you get in a non american, non german model? I like the idea of the Toyota as something very reliable but still awesome.
Goose
AG
Hyundai Genesis Coupe

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2034&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=75248&distance=200&searchChanged=true&transmission=M&trimNames=3.8+R-Spec&showNegotiable=false&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=164119345_isFeatured
madd_ag_05
AG
If I had to have a MK4, I'd rather find a clapped-out one that I don't feel bad about driving or wrenching on, rather than spend $50K+. Granted, even in that condition the prices are probably still way inflated.

Have you thought about a Nissan 300ZX TT? The last ones are from 1996, so it's a contemporary of the MK4 Supras. They're not the easiest thing to work on due to the jam packed engine bay, but they also don't go for Supra money. Nissan sold a lot of them, they look great (the Z32 generation), and there is plenty of performance potential.
JAW3336
AG
Those nissans are beautiful cars and an interesting option.
JAW3336
AG
Of course one of the biggest things working against me is nostalgia.

My dad has always been a Toyota man, and I remember going to the dealership in the mid 90's and drooling over the Supra. They had brochure that had a 2 page fold out and I had one hanging in my room for years.

I agree I don't really want to pay 60k for something I don't want to drive. I am thinking I might just try to get a NA one with manual and have fun driving it.

TSJ
AG
JAW3336 said:

My dad has always been a Toyota man, and I remember going to the dealership in the mid 90's and drooling over the Supra.
Ah the crux! Too bad you have fallen in love with one of the most over-inflated (price-wise) sports cars out there. If you are seriously considering 60k, I would look into importing one.
JAW3336
AG
I wouldn't even know where to begin on importing a car.
slappy
AG
I thought they had to be 25 years old before importing. This is the place that Doug DeMuro used to import a Skyline. https://www.japaneseclassics.com/faqs/

[url=https://www.japaneseclassics.com/faqs/][/url]
Story about importing here
JAW3336
AG
The 1993 model will be 25yo next year.
meggy09
AG
Ls7 swapped FD Rx7. Cheaper, lower maintenance and better looking than a Supra. My 1994 that was mostly stock is probably the favorite car I've owned.
ILikeTacos
AG
meggy09 said:

Ls7 swapped FD Rx7. Cheaper, lower maintenance and better looking than a Supra. My 1994 that was mostly stock is probably the favorite car I've owned.
EXACTLY what I was going to post and I can set you up with a REALLY nice LS swapped RX7 for less than $30K.
JAW3336
AG
I think ya'll missed this part of my post.

"I like the idea of the Toyota as something very reliable"
ILikeTacos
AG
JAW3336 said:

I think ya'll missed this part of my post.

"I like the idea of the Toyota as something very reliable"

And then you said you wanted a 20-25 year old car. No matter what the brand, 20-25 year old car is not reliable.

You also want a 6 speed. You know that is the V160 transmission? Do you know what kind of aftermarket support is available for that trans? Since Supra's and that trans stopped being used in 1998, the aftermarket world has died off from it. It is really hard to build that trans anymore, and cores are becoming scarce.

Sure the Inline 6 is a great motor and very reliable, stock parts are getting less and less plentiful for it. Luckily there are tons of stroker, and built motor options. But you want reliable i.e. stock. Which is tough.

You are also chasing the Fast and Furious dream car, which in the early 2000's became the ricer's wetdream. Thus they all got bought up when they were cheap and then became clapped out with tons of miles as late teen early 20 ricers used them as DD's because they couldn't afford anything else. All of these examples with >100K miles = no longer reliable.

But hey let's keep throwing out the old generic Toyota's are reliable shtick. I watch the market on MkIV's pretty hard and am a ricer at heart, I don't want to see you get set up with wrong expectations.
OldArmyBQ77

permabull
AG
permabull
AG
JAW3336
AG
True, but I think there would be similar problems driving a Vette.
The Fife
People I know who DD Vettes get basically no attention from that crowd. Mostly older guys, but they aren't known for doing anything stupid at stoplights for the most part. C&C burnout fails excluded.
TSJ
AG
JAW3336 said:

True, but I think there would be similar problems driving a Vette.

Exactly, get to go cruising with this guy.

permabull
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.