Dealer invoice price

4,578 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgCPA95
Gus Fring
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there any website/info avaible to help you guage what a true invoice price would be on a new f-150?
locogringo
AG
The info is out there, I can't remember the site but keep looking, it does exist.

When I ordered my GMC I told the sales manager the option I wanted and then after he clicked on it I would say "that added $xx to the MSRP and $yy to the invoice?" every time my numbers were right on, the manager was very curious as to how I knew the numbers.

If I remember right it was on NADA.
aTm2004
AG
Truecar?
meggy09
AG
http://www.fightingchance.com
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Have ford dealer contact in houston if you need.

Email at username at gmail
bkag9824
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Sent you an email.
Gus Fring
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Went to high school with the CEO of group 1automotive' sons so I was planning on ringing him. I'm just curious as to how to be as informed as possible
bkag9824
AG
bkag9824 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Sent you an email.

Did I send to the wrong email?
OnlyForNow
AG
his email is his username not "username" and he isn't stateside so he keeps different hours than most of us.
bkag9824
AG
Yeah, got the part about 1ags @ gmail.

My bad on time zone, thought he was back here.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
bkag9824 said:

Yeah, got the part about 1ags @ gmail.

My bad on time zone, thought he was back here.
Right now I'm 14 hours off, but looking to change that....
Javelina
AG
NADA has very accurate information on invoice pricing.
1208HawkTree
AG
Gus Fring said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Went to high school with the CEO of group 1automotive' sons so I was planning on ringing him. I'm just curious as to how to be as informed as possible

Just an FYI, the "VIP" status and "deal" that you'll probably get isn't necessarily the best deal, IMO. A lifelong family friend is an exec with G1A. When we bought our Expedition through his connection, they weren't willing to negotiate much more than the VIP pricing. Kept saying that we were "already getting the VIP deal, so that's about the best we can do." We were able to get 0% but felt we would have definitely qualified anyway, so other than the personal attention they paid to us throughout the process, VIP status with G1A doesn't get you much IMO. I kind of wish we would have just foregone the whole deal and shopped around more on our own.
Gus Fring
1208HawkTree said:

Gus Fring said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Just an FYI, the "VIP" status and "deal" that you'll probably get isn't necessarily the best deal, IMO. A lifelong family friend is an exec with G1A. When we bought our Expedition through his connection, they weren't willing to negotiate much more than the VIP pricing. Kept saying that we were "already getting the VIP deal, so that's about the best we can do." We were able to get 0% but felt we would have definitely qualified anyway, so other than the personal attention they paid to us throughout the process, VIP status with G1A doesn't get you much IMO. I kind of wish we would have just foregone the whole deal and shopped around more on our own.

Yeah a salesman at planet ford told me they would beat their offer by $1K
Diet Cokehead
AG
Edmunds usually has good invoice pricing info. Keep in mind that invoice isn't the true dealer cost as there are typically holdbacks as well.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Gus Fring said:

1208HawkTree said:

Gus Fring said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Planet and Randall Reid play all kinds of shadow games. Points on loans, "preferred packages" you need to buy in order to get the attractive pricing etc.

Ask to see the cost breakdown.
lb3
AG
edwardsk2003
AG
How do we not have a Honda hookup
Gus Fring
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Gus Fring said:

1208HawkTree said:

Gus Fring said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Planet and Randall Reid play all kinds of shadow games. Points on loans, "preferred packages" you need to buy in order to get the attractive pricing etc.

oh they were a joke. kept trying to bait and switch. He would never do what he said he would do. I ended up going to Cook Ford and was happy with the transaction.
CDUB98
AG
Two of the last three new daily driver cars I purchased, when the salesman asked what price I was looking for, I said I'll pay invoice, and no more, then add in incentives on top of that.

Made them prove the figure to me for invoice, and we went from there.

I don't mess around.

On that third vehicle, the 1ags hookup made everything nice and easy though. Didn't have to haggle one bit, and she even compared different loan rates vs. incentives to get me the lowest total dollar cost payout. She's the shiz.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Dealers don't pay invoice and it's hard to get real figures on what various incentives and hold backs the manufactures are offering.

True on incentives but not so much on holdbacks. Most OEMs have a set percentage and domestic makers are a little higher, if I recall correctly. Ballpark on holdback is 3%.

I've always suggested making an offer in the 85% range of what the published invoice numbers are. Maybe 82-83 for domestic cars; maybe a little more (88) for pickups. You're offering a price they most likely won't accept but they won't think you're a nut job totally wasting their time. When I say, offer, I mean, "yes I will purchase the vehicle at the price I'm offering -- where do I sign?" Not a "if you come down to that level I will consider it..."

Buy a car like you'd buy a business. Ask to see all the documents. All they can do is say no.
AggieDO97
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Dealers don't pay invoice and it's hard to get real figures on what various incentives and hold backs the manufactures are offering.

True on incentives but not so much on holdbacks. Most OEMs have a set percentage and domestic makers are a little higher, if I recall correctly. Ballpark on holdback is 3%.

I've always suggested making an offer in the 85% range of what the published invoice numbers are. Maybe 82-83 for domestic cars; maybe a little more (88) for pickups.
I'm looking at a new Honda SUV.
Just to clarify, I should do my best to find out what the dealer lists as "invoice" for a new vehicle and then offer 85% of that "invoice" price?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
a07nathanb
AG
AggieDO97 said:

Just to clarify, I should do my best to find out what the dealer lists as "invoice" for a new vehicle and then offer 85% of that "invoice" price?

No, do research online and decide what packages you want on the SUV. Find a specific VIN at the dealer you want to purchase from. Get buyers order with breakdown of cost. Do this at 3 or so dealerships using same MSRP vehicle. Throw out any dealer added options like pinstripes or nitrogen and only use the manufacturers MSRP. To keep it apples to apples.

If you sit down and establish the options you want the quotes can be done rather quickly on your end. In my experience two of the three prices will be competitive and you can pick which one you'd want to do business with.

Do not offer 85% of invoice. Think of it this way. If invoice is 30k and we've established there is holdback of roughly 3% that leaves 12% using above method. 12% is $3600. In today's digital marketplace there is not $3600 worth of room below invoice.

In my experience you have invoice minus incentives and maybe a few percent of room. Not 12-18% as mentioned above.
BigPuma
AG
edwardsk2003 said:

How do we not have a Honda hookup
I might have one now.
Al Bula
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Yeah, screw Planet Ford. That place blows.

They played games on the financing. Salesman said one APR, finance guy had a higher APR. Since they lowballed the trade in and we held out for another $1000, I suspect that is why they raised the APR and tried to hurry through financing quickly.

Promised some free tinting (which never was a selling point at all) and now the salesman keeps calling saying he will get the tint job done for free if I send him new customers.
AgCPA95
AG
RPM said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Yeah, screw Planet Ford. That place blows.

They played games on the financing. Salesman said one APR, finance guy had a higher APR. Since they lowballed the trade in and we held out for another $1000, I suspect that is why they raised the APR and tried to hurry through financing quickly.

Promised some free tinting (which never was a selling point at all) and now the salesman keeps calling saying he will get the tint job done for free if I send him new customers.
I think they are like a modern day Landmark Chevrolet. That place was an absolute zoo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.