Calling Big Rob...

4,145 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Flaith
aTm papi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm starting a new project. I was able to find a MK3 GTI VR6 with 58k miles on it. What do you know about them? Thanks!
The Wonderer
AG
It's been 7.5 hours and Big Rob is still typing his response.
BigRobSA
aTm papi said:

I'm starting a new project. I was able to find a MK3 GTI VR6 with 58k miles on it. What do you know about them? Thanks!

I've got a 12v VR6 in an Audi S4 of mine (B5) that, on E, makes about 1000hp.

Just helped put chains on a Mk4 R32. Rebuilt a couple VR6s, too.

58k, you should be pretty golden. The bottom end, untouched, is pretty solid. My 1k hp one is stock bottom.

Anything specific you're looking for?
aTm papi
If I do get it, I was just planning on basic bolt-ons. Looking for a commuter and something old school.
BigRobSA
You will LOVE the sound. Bolt-ons, decent exhaust, done.

Techtonics Tuning makes exhaust stuff that I've personally heard on several cars.

Cams add lope, but is more than mere bolt-ons and only gets you 10-15 hp. Unless you're doing it, not worth the money unless you've already got the motor open for timing chains.
BigRobSA
Post a pic if you do get it.
aTm papi
I definitely will. They are asking for 3000, but I'm going to start pretty low. They said the instrument cluster goes off and on. The sunroof doesn't work. I noticed that the stick shift doesn't have the golf ball shift knob. The interior looks OK for its age. And they are a few dings here and there due a 79 year old women driving it. Haha!

Her son is the one selling the car.
Flaith
AG
stance it, yo
aTm papi
And it got sold..... Even after I told the guy that I would be there on Saturday. He obviously didn't follow Craigslist etiquette.
drumboy
AG
aTm papi said:

And it got sold..... Even after I told the guy that I would be there on Saturday. He obviously didn't follow Craigslist etiquette.

I had a guy in San Antonio sell a Tundra after I told him I was going to buy it and rented a car to drive there.
BQ2001
AG
I've sold many things on Craigslist. My etiquette is first one with cash in my hand wins. Way too many people saying they want something and then flake
drumboy
AG
BQ2001 said:

I've sold many things on Craigslist. My etiquette is first one with cash in my hand wins. Way too many people saying they want something and then flake
I've gotten that way with Craigslist too but I'll hold stuff for people on here or the bike forums I'm on. With Craigslist I just try to get there quickly with cash if I really want it.
permabull
AG
BigRobSA
aTm papi said:

And it got sold.....

aTm papi
Rob, I've seen some MK5s as well, but I've read about the problems with the FSI engines. Would you rather have the 1.8T or the FSI? I've found a nice 337 GTI in Houston as well. They are asking for $6000, but that's way too much. Found a GLI in SA for $5400 and that would be an improvement over my old MK4.
BigRobSA
aTm papi said:

Rob, I've seen some MK5s as well, but I've read about the problems with the FSI engines. Would you rather have the 1.8T or the FSI? I've found a nice 337 GTI in Houston as well. They are asking for $6000, but that's way too much. Found a GLI in SA for $5400 and that would be an improvement over my old MK4.

FSI do have issues to look for:
-Cam follower, check every oil change or 2 (5k changes).
-Need high pressure fuel pump upgrade to make lotsa power.
-carbon buildup due to Direct Injection.

But they're still a decent platform to have fun with. Their stock clutches are stronger than Mk6 or even Mk7.

1.8t: can be built to make ruhtard power. We're going to be helping build a 600 awhp Mk4 Jetta with an R32 drivetrain here in awhile.

I have a stroked 1.8t block and TDI crank that makes it 2.1 liters. All the stuff I have for it would make it 600-650 hp, easily.

They are probably the easiest moddable VW engine ever made with the most gains. The VR being 2nd only due to being NA.

I have a fast TSI, the parts for a ruhtarded 1.8t, and a totes ridic VR. The easiest to make that way, for the least money? 1.8t

It doesn't hurt that they have the most specialty versions:
20th Edition
GLI in 1.8t is one of my favorite cars ever
aTm papi
Do you have a Facebook account that you post your builds on?
BigRobSA
No. Sorry.

I don't do "social" media. Well, other than TA. When I get the racecar back running (I started the actual rebuild of the 01E 6spd yesterday) I'll add more to my thread from before.

The shop I'm at up here is all word of mouth, and we're always busy.
drumboy
AG
These threads make me want to get an A3 wagon and take it to BigRob.
aTm papi
I did also see an A3 at a dealership up north in Georgetown. It has 98k miles.
Flaith
AG
what is it about the 1.8T that makes it such a big power candidate over the FSI or TSI

OP, I have a APR Stage 2+ MKV GLI, and I love it. I'm currently having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need a Frankenturbo and custom tune.
BigRobSA
Flaith said:

what is it about the 1.8T that makes it such a big power candidate over the FSI or TSI

OP, I have a APR Stage 2+ MKV GLI, and I love it. I'm currently having a hard time convincing myself that I don't need a Frankenturbo and custom tune.
Fueling is easy with the 1.8t. FSI and especially TSI suffer from a lack of big injector and other fueling needs without a metric sh/t ton of money. Tuning is also more prevalent for the 1.8t as are all of the internal parts to make it stronger.

As for the FT...DO EET! Although I'd go with a better big turbo, to be honest. FT has gotten better, as a whole, but they're not in the same league as Garret, BWt and others. Hell, I have a twin scroll BW 7670 I was going to use on the built 1.8t I was building and it's just collecting dust. Also have 2000 CC injectors.
Flaith
AG
BigRobSA said:

Flaith said:

Fueling is easy with the 1.8t. FSI and especially TSI suffer from a lack of big injector and other fueling needs without a metric sh/t ton of money. Tuning is also more prevalent for the 1.8t as are all of the internal parts to make it stronger.

As for the FT...DO EET! Although I'd go with a better big turbo, to be honest. FT has gotten better, as a whole, but they're not in the same league as Garret, BWt and others. Hell, I have a twin scroll BW 7670 I was going to use on the built 1.8t I was building and it's just collecting dust. Also have 2000 CC injectors.
Yes, but this is my DD that I use to commute often from Houston to Louisiana for work. The appeal of the FT is that it is a bolt-up-and-go. No need to swap in bigger injectors or other parts.

I've already got APR fuel pump, full exhaust, S3 intercooler, etc, so FT and custom tune would be just for more powahhh

BigRobSA
Ah

Good point. Then FT that ho, stat!!!
aTm papi
Flaith said:

How reliable has your MK5 been? I've been keeping an eye on them as well on Autotrader. I saw one being sold at a VW with low miles. 2007 GTI with about 67000. The only thing that sucked was that the headliner was on it's last leg. Low miles makes me think why this car wasn't driven more. I drove it and it felt really solid. Just looking for a fun daily driver. I sold my MK4 Jetta to get something newer and this one seems to have low miles.
Flaith
AG
PM responded

BigRob can speak more to the reliability of them since he's 24/7 VAGman. I've only had my car for 2 months, and other than thermostat/coolant sensor, it has been fine.

Common issues are things like:

door lock actuators
diaphragm-style diverter valve failures
cam follower wear
AC compressor RCV valve failure

If you keep on top of maintenance and install "upgraded" parts as they are available (piston-style diverter valve, for instance), it should be a great fun car.

A tune really wakes them up, and I'd recommend getting a boost gauge asap if you buy it.
BigRobSA
The FSI is a solid engine. DSG is solid, as is the 02Q 6spd. The 6spd has an issue with the shift forks, they're brass and have been known to break with tons more power. Most people in that situation replace them with steel forks if they have to open the trans up for an LSD. The FSI clutch is actually the strongest of Mk5-7.

The diverter, like Flaith mentioned, is prone to diaphragm issues. Simple to replace and there are TONS of choices. I have an AWE tuning one that actually is from their Porsche race team and is good to 750+ hp on my Mk6. Overkill? Damn skippy!

Can follower is easy to check, and I advise checking it with either EVERY oil change, or at the very least every OTHER one. It's a free "high" too, if you like the smell of gasoline. Did one today, actually on a Mk5 GTI.

AC compressor valve and even dryers are known to fail. But, if it happens...55AC!

They're pretty solid, overall. Nothing is PERFECT, but if you take care of it and give it an Italian tune-up once in a while..you're golden.
aTm papi
I think I have found my car. I didn't know my mechanic was selling his 2003 20th Anniversary Jazz Blue GTI. He bought it as a mechanic special from some guy who didn't take care of it and has done all the engine work himself. Hopefully, this one works out.
BigRobSA
Unicorn!!!!
Flaith
AG
badass!

I love Mk4 GTIs. I was seriously considering a Mk4 R32 when I was looking for a new car recently.
aTm papi
So I should be getting my MK4 GTI 20AE tomorrow. The mechanic said he used to Valvoline VR1 in 20-50W. I've been reading that VR1 is not very friendly for daily drivers and needs to be changed constantly. I was thinking about going to the VW dealership and getting some Castrol Syntec for the 2000 mile change. He did a lot of engine work so it's kind of like a new engine. Should I continue using the VR1 or is it OK to make the switch?
HumbleAg04
AG
aTm papi said:

I think I have found my car. I didn't know my mechanic was selling his 2003 20th Anniversary Jazz Blue GTI. He bought it as a mechanic special from some guy who didn't take care of it and has done all the engine work himself. Hopefully, this one works out.

Loved that car. I had #1776 (Black) for about a year. Had to sell it and get a truck for work.
hatchback
AG
I had a beautiful 2002 GTI for several years. Gosh, I still miss that car.
Flaith
AG
what was his reasoning for using VR1?

I don't know what weight your 1.8T (?) calls for, but I don't think you can really go wrong with Castrol EDGE 5w-40, Mobil 1 0w-40, or Rotella T6 5w-40
aTm papi
I guess for him it's a personal preference. Kind of like how each mechanic likes to use their own oil.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.