Carpet Replacement Material, Chevy Cobalt, Houston

847 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Timber08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have carpet that needed immediate replacing in a 2006 Chevy Cobalt so I've yanked everything out the car including the carpet.

Now I have to find something to replace it. Any recommendations on where to get a new molded carpet for the specific car? I'm in Houston and if I can get it locally to speed things up that would be great.

Am I going to regret going with someone like this, an online seller.? Anyone have one they like or have used? Is "Mass Backing" worth the add-on?

Now on to the really basic stuff. When it says molded, is that referring to the foam I see on the bottom of the original carpet that filled and held the carpet in each of the footwells? Or do I have to find and attach that separately?

There were two ~9x9in pucks of foam under the rear passenger feet that look like house carpet underlayment - any reason I can't just crudely shape some from Home Depot to replace it if it doesn't come with the new carpet?

Anything else I should do/install as long as I have the interior gutted??

I searched "carpet" on the board and didn't see anything relevant. Thanks in advance for any help - I know this is basic for most on this board but I really don't want to have to redo this project because I screwed up.
Silvy
AG
Could try Certi Fit
txyaloo
AG
I've used Stock Interiors kits on 3 different cars. 2 of them fit really well. One wasn't really molded perfectly.

I think the mass backing is worth it if you intend to keep the car. It cuts down on noise and helps the carpet lay down correctly. If you're going to sell the car soon, go for the cheap stuff.
sts7049
AG
get stuck in the houston flooding this week?
Timber08
Certi Fit only does exterior but that is exactly the kind of place I'm trying to find.

I talked with Stock Interiors and will have to follow up with them with pictures - can't seem to decipher if they include the substantial OEM type padding to fill the footwells or just "padding" in the form of 1/4in jute etc. Price is right.

Yeah, took on a bit of water and I'm looking to fix it up right so I can sell it eventually.and tell them what happened and that it was all addressed with absolute certainty.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If you really like the car and plan on keeping it, you can always put some additional insulation/sound deadening on the floor pan.

A cheap way to do it is Peel n Seal from Lowes or HD. Good and reasonably priced and easy to put in. Put it on the floor, add carpet with jute backing or add jute to it and you'll have the quietest cobalt in existence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.