Maddening 2001 Merc. Grand Marquis Security System Problem

651 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
justcallmeharry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Final Edit - I think it was a simple bad battery terminal connection. Will know tomorrow. Thanks to all who gave this any thought at all.

2001 4.6 L Grand Marquis. New Battery and Alternator. On a regular basis, I go out to start the car, and nada.

I disconnect and then reconnect the battery and all is fine. It turns over like crazy and starts right up.

When this first happened - just after replacing the alternator about a month ago - I was advised that one of my keys probably had a bad transponder. I got the other key - nothing. I disconnected and reconnected the battery - bingo!

This vehicle has less than 75k miles on it and I drive less than 5k per year. The problem I described is happening more frequently.

One other goofy thing - sometimes it remembers the radio station I was listening to, sometimes it does not after the reconnect.

If anybody has had an experience like this, I'd appreciate knowing how it was resolved.

Thanks in advance. I scrolled through 8 months of posts and did not see a similar problem.

ETA - this vehicle has only the standard security system. You can't start the vehicle unless you are inside the vehicle. No after market gadgets at all.

2nd Edit - When I say nada above, I mean nothing, no warning lights, no cranking, nothing. Sometimes the light under the hood works before I disconnect the battery, sometimes not.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Paging 1ags
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Sounds like a bad connection to me.
justcallmeharry
S
1agswitchin4lanes said:

It was simply a bad connection. Somewhere along the line, the positive terminal connector got replaced with a connector designed for one large cable, not two smaller cables. Normal vibrations kept loosening the connection and causing the security system to go goofy.

Both keys still work. I just flipped the the _^_ shaped clamp over, and it secures both of the smaller cables just fine.

It's the simple problems that are sometimes the most maddening.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
justcallmeharry said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

It was simply a bad connection. Somewhere along the line, the positive terminal connector got replaced with a connector designed for one large cable, not two smaller cables. Normal vibrations kept loosening the connection and causing the security system to go goofy.

Both keys still work. I just flipped the the _^_ shaped clamp over, and it secures both of the smaller cables just fine.

It's the simple problems that are sometimes the most maddening.
glad it was minor
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.