2010 F-150 Exploding Rear Defroster

1,438 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Corps_Ag12
Zombie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I was at the mall, get into my truck and start driving and hear a loud pop. I look back and my passenger side rear window is shattered and smoking from the bottom of the window frame. I put the fire out and get home. I look it up and sure enough, this has been common enough that there are multiple post and forums about this happening. Seems as though the rear defroster, whether activated or not, can short out and heat the window up so much that it shatters exactly the way mine did. I called College Station Ford and they were no help. No recalls or service bulletins about it.

So what is my next step? Surely I shouldn't have to pay for something that is obviously faulty even though it is out of warranty. Who should I go to about getting to pay for this???
txyaloo
AG
Zombie said:

So, I was at the mall, get into my truck and start driving and hear a loud pop. I look back and my passenger side rear window is shattered and smoking from the bottom of the window frame. I put the fire out and get home. I look it up and sure enough, this has been common enough that there are multiple post and forums about this happening. Seems as though the rear defroster, whether activated or not, can short out and heat the window up so much that it shatters exactly the way mine did. I called College Station Ford and they were no help. No recalls or service bulletins about it.

So what is my next step? Surely I shouldn't have to pay for something that is obviously faulty even though it is out of warranty. Who should I go to about getting to pay for this???
Why shouldn't you have to pay? Do you not understand the purpose of a warranty. If it failed during the warranty period, you wouldn't have to pay.

This issue isn't exclusive to Ford. It happens on lots of cars when the defroster grid gets damaged. Call a glass company and get it replaced.
Zombie
Because, this is obviously a defect that should require a recall. From the looks of it, it has happened enough to warrant such. Not to mention this is a huge safety issue. The window frame actually caught fire and shattered the glass, right behind where my son normally sits. Had he been in the car, this would have happened directly behind his head. That is NOT okay with me.
txyaloo
AG
Then call Ford and tell them. They still aren't going to pay for your window nor should they.
Zombie
Why do you feel they shouldn't? There are thousands of recalls on cars and trucks for things much less serious than this out there.
Silvy
AG
#makeFerdgreatagain
txyaloo
AG
Zombie said:

Why do you feel they shouldn't? There are thousands of recalls on cars and trucks for things much less serious than this out there.
Do you understand why recalls are issued?

www.safercar.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/Recalls-FAQ.pdf

NHTSA hasn't even started an investigation for this issue in Fords, and this happens across all brands of vehicles.

http://www.glassbytes.com/2014/08/nhtsa-receives-more-complaints-of-shattering-f-150-back-lites/

You drive a 6-7 year old truck. Mechanical/electrical components fail. If they fail within a predetermined period of time (your warranty) the manufacturer pays for the repairs. if they fail outside that time period, you're responsible. You can go to Ford an ask for goodwill, but you aren't likely to receive any compensation.
Zombie
My point is, your logic does not make sense. There are tons of recalls for things like seat belts not locking properly, air bags not deploying, etc. Yet, by your logic, a faulty system that causes your window to catch fire and shatter/explode is not a safety issue and does not warrant a recall?
coolerguy12
AG
Get it fixed and save your receipt. If it's recalled later they will reimburse you. It probably should be recalled but until it is you are SOL.
txyaloo
AG
Zombie said:

My point is, your logic does not make sense. There are tons of recalls for things like seat belts not locking properly, air bags not deploying, etc. Yet, by your logic, a faulty system that causes your window to catch fire and shatter/explode is not a safety issue and does not warrant a recall?
You're comparing massive industry wide seat belt and air bag failures which have been proven to cause deaths to a tempered window shattering? Dramatic much? Have you ever been close when tempered glass breaks? There isn't a whole lot of force and there aren't huge sharp shards of glass going every where. How exactly is this a safety issue? Your child would have been fine had the window shattered with them sitting under it. I'm not aware of any vehicles burning down due to this issue.

My Bronco rear window blew out a year ago due to something similar. I knew the defrost grid was damaged but had been putting off repairing it. It's a 20 year old car. Never even crossed my mind to ask Ford to pay for it. I paid my $200 for a new window and moved along. My window regulators have failed multiple times in my X5. The last time my drivers side failed, the window fell straight to the bottom of the door and shattered. Did I ask BMW for compensation for this obvious safety problem? No. Car was out of warranty. I bought a new regulator and glass and replaced the parts.

Have some personal responsibility. You own an out of warranty vehicle. If you don't want to pay for it out of pocket, file a comprehensive claim on your insurance. File a complaint with the NHTSA, the BBB, or President Trump, but even after all of that there's a 99% chance Ford isn't going to give you a dime.
Zombie
txyaloo, yes, I am being dramatic because it CAUGHT ON FIRE! This heat caused the window to shatter. I'm sorry if I find that to be a big deal. It has NOTHING to do with the money. It's a matter of principle now.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Go to a couple of ford dealerships, get denied for repairs, then go to your TV station consumer affairs reporter and show them. They love these kinds of stories.
Silvy
AG
OP IRL
SG09
AG
Zombie said:

txyaloo, yes, I am being dramatic because it CAUGHT ON FIRE! This heat caused the window to shatter. I'm sorry if I find that to be a big deal. It has NOTHING to do with the money. It's a matter of principle now.
i haven't found an automaker yet who cares about principal or doing what's right. once you buy the car, you're on your own and they "can't recreate".
Dill-Ag13
AG
The radiator on my Subaru blew up. Extremely common and a serious safety issue. My car's only 10 years old they should recall and fix it!!!1!!one!
The Wonderer
AG
Zombie said:

Ford literally decided that it was cheaper to pay victims' family than fix/recall the Pinto. What shot do you think you really have?

https://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-metivier/module-2-why-does-business-need-ethics/case-the-ford-pinto/
Corps_Ag12
AG
The Wonderer said:

Zombie said:

Ford literally decided that it was cheaper to pay victims' family than fix/recall the Pinto. What shot do you think you really have?

https://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-metivier/module-2-why-does-business-need-ethics/case-the-ford-pinto/

Not that it would've mattered. The federal government let them issue stickers to be placed on the dash in Ford Explorers when the transmission could come out of park suddenly instead of issuing a recall.

The Wonderer
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

The Wonderer said:

Zombie said:

Not that it would've mattered. The federal government let them issue stickers to be placed on the dash in Ford Explorers when the transmission could come out of park suddenly instead of issuing a recall.

It was for 23 million automatic transmission produced from 1966 to 1980. Recall/repair would have bankrupted Ford.

http://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres-more/little-warning-label-saved-ford-23-million-vehicle-recall
Corps_Ag12
AG
Which is why they didn't do it. I should of elaborated. But what I was just trying to say that even if the government knows about it, doesn't mean they'll do anything about it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.