Truck Auction Advice

1,750 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mmetag10
Mmetag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gentleman,
The company i work for is currently having an auction of some of our fleet trucks (Employees only can bid). I'm considering buying one with the intent of flipping it. (trading it and my current truck in on a nicer one) The way the auction is set up is you get to bid one time per truck. Highest bid wins. If you tie, the person who submitted their bid first wins. So time is of the essence. Any help you can give me on suggested bid prices would be appreciated. All the trucks are Chevy LS or Ford XL. All have had lots of miles placed on them in rough terrain. Just trying to get my best bang for the buck. Minimum bid is $200. And yes i've run blue book and NADA to get a value for them just trying to figure out a sweet spot for value. I cannot take the trucks for a test drive. Everything is as is where is. I have some info on some but none on others.

Thanks for all your advice.

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Black
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 126,144
Personal observations: Rear end needs work

2008 Ford F250
White
4x4 Ex Cab Short
Miles 112,419

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Blue
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 95,867
Personal Observations: Looks good inside and out

2009 Chevrolet 3500
White
4x2 Ex Cab, Utility Bed With a Crane
Miles 106,298
Personal Observation: Rough Inside

2012 Ford F250
Tan
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 112,283
Personal Observation: This truck is the worst of the bunch. I will be bidding the minimum to get scrap value essentially

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Blue
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 103,674
Personal observations: Looks ok inside Large scratch down the supercab door and part of rear fender. Would not buff out

2012 Ford F350
Black
4x4, Utility Bed, Crane Truck with no Crane
Miles 112,664

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Silver
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 107,060
Personal Observations: needs work (It revs up to high RPMs on the highway but won't shift back down unless you let off the gas)
03_Aggie
Damn, y'all are hard on vehicles. None those are very "high" mileage.
Mmetag10
AG
Yeah. All the jobs are on rock roads in the boondocks. Wears on a truck weighed down with tools and parts
agnerd
AG
Quote:

Everything is as is where is.
Then assume everything you haven't tested is broken and will need to be fixed.

'How much are you willing to LOSE on a truck' might be the more relevant question here.
TxAg20
AG
Diesel or gas?
Mmetag10
AG
All are gas.
Aero95
AG
Do you get results of one auction in time to bid on another, or must you submit any bid for multiple vehicles blindly?
drumboy
AG
Since you're going to be trading it in I would target the one with < 100K miles.
Mmetag10
AG
I can bid on all vehicles but only win 1. If I win multiple I can pick which I want. You have to put in your best and only bid. There is no second chances
TxAg20
AG
Mmetag10 said:

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Black
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 126,144
Personal observations: Rear end needs work
Auction Avg Price: $15,613
Auction Avg Miles: 83,697

2008 Ford F250
White
4x4 Ex Cab Short
Miles 112,419
Auction Avg Price: $4,500
Auction Avg Miles: 154,856

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Blue
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 95,867
Personal Observations: Looks good inside and out

2009 Chevrolet 3500
White
4x2 Ex Cab, Utility Bed With a Crane
Miles 106,298
Personal Observation: Rough Inside
No recent auction results for Cab & Chassis model

2012 Ford F250
Tan
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 112,283
Personal Observation: This truck is the worst of the bunch. I will be bidding the minimum to get scrap value essentially

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Blue
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 103,674
Personal observations: Looks ok inside Large scratch down the supercab door and part of rear fender. Would not buff out

2012 Ford F350
Black
4x4, Utility Bed, Crane Truck with no Crane
Miles 112,664
No recent auction results for Cab & Chassis

2013 Chevrolet 2500
Silver
4x4 Ex Cab Long
Miles 107,060
Personal Observations: needs work (It revs up to high RPMs on the highway but won't shift back down unless you let off the gas)
Above are what I was able to pull for auction results.
agwrangler2001
AG
I noticed most are extended cab.....what is the resale market like for work truck trimmed extended cabs?
Mmetag10
AG
Thanks.
TxAg20
AG
There's a wrecking yard about 30 minutes away from me that has many late model diesel 4x4 pickups. They pull the engine, transmission, transfer case, and axles as soon as the trucks come in. I think the engines and transmissions move pretty quick. The transfer cases a little slower, and finally the axles. There seems to be a pretty good market for used diesel truck parts. I'm guessing the market for gas truck parts is not as liquid, but a good Dana 60 front axle will bring $1500+ and a good t-case should bring $600+. I haven't priced a rear axle, but I would think a good 14 bolt GM or Sterling 10.5" would bring $750. Parting out a vehicle as a side job sounds like a huge PITA though.
Agmechanic
AG
I wouldnt bid more than $750 for any of them based on your comments.
Terk
AG
#3 -$300

How bout it?
Corps_Ag12
AG
A torch & forklift makes quick work of bolts & mounts
dlp3719
AG
A later model full size truck that runs and drives in Texas is almost always worth $2k on Craigslist.

You'll have to decide if they still all drive but I'd put at least $1k on all of them.

Most people won't see the mileage you are talking as "high" and agreed sub-100k miles matters in the used car world.

How many potential bidders / employees?
dlp3719
AG
White is the worst color as it looks like a fleet work
Truck
Mmetag10
AG
There are 80 employees approximately but not all live in the same state as the trucks. So I hope that makes them not bid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.