For Sale: 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80

2,541 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bighamp03
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate to see her go but I think it's time to sell and get something more economical. Plus I still have a 40 and 62.

It's a white 96 TLC FZJ80 and it's going up here first before Craigslist and IH8mud.

260k miles but still runs well. New front seats. Everything in great condition.

Around $6k done in repairs/upgrades in the last year. I have receipts for all of them.

I'm in Dallas (Lakewood area) so if you want to come check it out please email me at markRmiller89@gmail.com

Aggiehunter34
S
Price?
Transmission?
Color?
mrmill3218
AG
Price: $8,500

Transmission: Good condition, shifts smoothly, 4 speed automatic

Color: White
Corps_Ag12
AG
Posting a list of repairs completed would be helpful too.
Complete Idiot
Dang, you posted about buying an 80 for years and then have owned it for less than 12 months. Maybe give it a bit longer before selling? I know you said you paid $2500 for it when you bought it so that sounds pretty economical.
AG
I think you're down the road from me, unless there's someone else in east dallas with the trifecta of land cruisers parked out front
mrmill3218
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Dang, you posted about buying an 80 for years and then have owned it for less than 12 months. Maybe give it a bit longer before selling? I know you said you paid $2500 for it when you bought it so that sounds pretty economical.

It's a bummer, but I think it would be more financially wise to get a car with less miles and better MPG.
Ogre09
mrmill3218
AG
EGR - $198.32

Water in doors - $109.64

Oil and fluid Change - $143.04

EGR - $286.92

Wipers - $7.57

Oil and fluids change - $157.11

Oil change - $81.35

A/C repaired - $609.99

Battery Terminal Repaired - $35.05

Brakes - $987.62

Tires - $716.37

Exhaust (purchased off a 96 that another mudder was parting out. Solved the EGR issues) - $775.00

Exhaust/Coolant - $775.64

Seats - $500

New exhaust system installed - $500

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this work. Obviously it's not in chronological order. Still have all receipts with dates.

I don't know how to upload pics and don't have time to try and figure it out so please email me if you want them. Thank you.
mrmill3218
AG
Pics on Craigslist and Ih8mud. Can't figure out how to post pics on here.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5974702257.html

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
May want to show the new leather and the right side 3rd row seat. Unless you just replaced the bottoms. In the side shot of the driver seat, wheres the carpet under the seat?

$8K is a premium for a Cruiser with over 200K. Even more so if you dont take the time to write a nice quality ad and get the truck ready for sale. If you try, you can get a premium, but you're gonna need to justify it.

First and foremost, you have to clean the truck up and take good photos. Your photos dont show a lot of detail, and the truck is dirty. Front wheels have a lot of brake dust. Just looks like a car that someone doesnt care about anymore and wants to get it out of the way. Engine bay should be cleaned up too.

Next, write a nice ad. I don't mean copy the wikipedia 80 page. Take time to tell a story to get the potential buyer interested.

Itemize and List out the work, show receipts for what you've done.

Include upgrades like anything you've changed that's better over stock. Including electronics, stereos, etc.

Your ad should list the tires/tread condition.

Small details should be corrected and can help you sell it faster.
Such as the rusty coolant stain on the fan shroud and the red heater hose that you're using for PCV valve, and the Stant universal oil cap. That will hurt if you're trying to sell to an enthusiast.

Need to disclose paint condition and any body damage. I notice the rear bumper is bent on the left side and the tailgate is damaged.

Not trying to rip you. Just have experience selling vehicles on CL and ebay and thought I'd give you some feedback.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
mrmill3218 said:

EGR - $198.32

Water in doors - $109.64

EGR - $286.92

Wipers - $7.57

Oil change - $81.35

A/C repaired - $609.99

Brakes - $987.62

Tires - $716.37

Exhaust (purchased off a 96 that another mudder was parting out. Solved the EGR issues) - $775.00

Seats - $500

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this work. Obviously it's not in chronological order. Still have all receipts with dates.

I don't know how to upload pics and don't have time to try and figure it out so please email me if you want them. Thank you.
You replaced the EGR Twice?

Used exhaust for $775 then $775.64 and someone charged $500 to INSTALL it??
mrmill3218
AG
I appreciate the feedback!

Never sold a car on CL before so I will take your words to heart.

Thanks again.
mrmill3218
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

mrmill3218 said:

EGR - $198.32

Water in doors - $109.64

EGR - $286.92

Wipers - $7.57

Oil change - $81.35

A/C repaired - $609.99

Brakes - $987.62

Tires - $716.37

Seats - $500

You replaced the EGR Twice?

Used exhaust for $775 then $775.64 and someone charged $500 to INSTALL it??
The EGR was replaced twice because of the aftermarket exhaust that was on the truck.

Once I put a OEM exhaust system back on it the EGR issues went away.

I got the OEM exhaust system for $775 and then my mechanic charged me $500 to install.
mrmill3218
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

May want to show the new leather and the right side 3rd row seat. Unless you just replaced the bottoms. In the side shot of the driver seat, wheres the carpet under the seat?

$8K is a premium for a Cruiser with over 200K. Even more so if you dont take the time to write a nice quality ad and get the truck ready for sale. If you try, you can get a premium, but you're gonna need to justify it.

First and foremost, you have to clean the truck up and take good photos. Your photos dont show a lot of detail, and the truck is dirty. Front wheels have a lot of brake dust. Just looks like a car that someone doesnt care about anymore and wants to get it out of the way. Engine bay should be cleaned up too.

Next, write a nice ad. I don't mean copy the wikipedia 80 page. Take time to tell a story to get the potential buyer interested.

Itemize and List out the work, show receipts for what you've done.

Include upgrades like anything you've changed that's better over stock. Including electronics, stereos, etc.

Your ad should list the tires/tread condition.

Small details should be corrected and can help you sell it faster.
Such as the rusty coolant stain on the fan shroud and the red heater hose that you're using for PCV valve, and the Stant universal oil cap. That will hurt if you're trying to sell to an enthusiast.

Need to disclose paint condition and any body damage. I notice the rear bumper is bent on the left side and the tailgate is damaged.

Not trying to rip you. Just have experience selling vehicles on CL and ebay and thought I'd give you some feedback.

I will take some more pics this weekend after I get it cleaned up.

The carpet is missing in that one spot under the driver's seat for some reason. It was like that when I got it.

It's definitely a truck I care about. My family has owned 6 Land Cruisers. I started at $8k because I love this truck and it's hard to part with. If someone wants to make me a lower offer then we will see what happens.

Paint condition is good. The only body damage is on the left side of the back bumper.

I'll get this ad cleaned up. Thank you.
Mookie
AG
I would agree with everything 1ags says. This car is priced way above market for what it is. If you are going to hook someone on it, you have to tell a story, everything needs to be retail ready, and it has to be accurate.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Mookie said:

I would agree with everything 1ags says. This car is priced way above market for what it is. If you are going to hook someone on it, you have to tell a story, everything needs to be retail ready, and it has to be accurate.

Agreed.

The other part of the issue with the price is that your upcharging the sell price to recoup $$$ from work done on the truck that would be considered maintenance items, or cost of ownership. Everything i've bolded & struck through I would consider maintenance items that you may net pennies on the dollar for when selling.

Quote:

EGR - $198.32

Water in doors - $109.64

EGR - $286.92

Wipers - $7.57

Oil change - $81.35

A/C repaired - $609.99

Brakes - $987.62

Tires - $716.37

Seats - $500

And i think you need to find a new mechanic. He raked you over the coals on that price for installation of a used exhaust. I could get an exhaust shop to build a custom one for less than his installed price (in D/FW).
mrmill3218
AG
Thank you. I appreciate the input!
Corps_Ag12
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Thank you. I appreciate the input!

No problem, just wanted to play devil's advocate for ya. Having money tied up in something can sometimes hinder progress.
Bighamp03
AG
mrmill,

You are doing this all wrong. You are supposed to go straight to defensiveness and personal attacks on this board whenever someone gives you sound advice about the pricing/condition of a vehicle!!

J/k. Kudos for taking the advice to heart. These guys know a lot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.