Gas vs. Diesel

8 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mm98
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the next year I'll probably upgrade my F-150. I'll be looking to get a three quarter ton truck because more than likely we'll also get a travel trailer sometime in the next year or two...maybe three years. I've been casually looking and a three quarter ton diesel is pretty dang pricey. What are your thoughts about getting a gas engine instead? I'm guessing a gasser could easily pull a bumper pull travel trailer?
The Wonderer
AG
How often are you going to be towing and to where?

DIESEL CONS
  • costs more to maintain
  • gets minimally better mpgs than the gasser when unloaded
  • burns more expensive fuel
  • has greater upfront capital costs

DIESEL PROS
  • Diesels tend to depreciate slower than gassers if cared for
  • mpgs are better when towing
  • you can roll coal, bro.
Tagguy
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

In the next year I'll probably upgrade my F-150. I'll be looking to get a three quarter ton truck because more than likely we'll also get a travel trailer sometime in the next year or two...maybe three years. I've been casually looking and a three quarter ton diesel is pretty dang pricey. What are your thoughts about getting a gas engine instead? I'm guessing a gasser could easily pull a bumper pull travel trailer?

Yep. Gassers should be able to easily pull your bumper travel trailer.

Honestly unless you regularly tow very heavy loads gas is the way to go. Modern gas engines will be cheaper in every way except for buring a few MPG more on those occasional times that you tow.

Furlock Bones
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

lightly used 3/4 ton gasser. best value around. the initial depreciation is high on these trucks. if you end up getting a travel trailer, you can pull it for awhile and then decide if you really, really need everything else that comes with diesel.
easttexasaggie04
AG
This is the Travel Trailer I'd be looking at getting down the road. Heck, my F-150 might pull that OK. If so, I might just keep it. However I'd want something that would pull it without problem. I'd love to be able to pull it across the country and head to Colorado or something and not have to worry about pulling power.
The Wonderer
AG
An F150 can tow that trailer with a WD hitch without a problem.

I pulled a TT weighing in around 8300# through Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas with a F150 w/5.4L without a problem. Get the integrated towing system - it's awesome.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Depends on how your F150 is currently outfitted. If you have the max tow package, you'll be fine with your F150. If not, then you could step up to a gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

I just bought a 3/4 ton diesel because I wanted one. Towing with my half ton wasn't fun and I've always wanted a diesel.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've got a 2012 V8 6.2L. I'm not sure what towing package I have. It does have the trailer brake built in.
The Wonderer
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Depends on how your F150 is currently outfitted. If you have the max tow package, you'll be fine with your F150. If not, then you could step up to a gas or diesel 3/4 ton.

I just bought a 3/4 ton diesel because I wanted one. Towing with my half ton wasn't fun and I've always wanted a diesel.
Don't need max tow for 7500#. My non-MT F150 has a cap of something like 9100#; wasn't concerned to get MT for the extra 2200# ability.
The Wonderer
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I've got a 2012 V8 6.2L. I'm not sure what towing package I have. It does have the trailer brake built in.
Your truck is fine for the trailer you listed. Get a quality weight-distributing hitch and be on your way.
Tagguy
AG
Should be able to tow that with ease in a gasser F250.

I believe the minimum rating on those is north of 12,000. Even overloaded you would be able to easily pull that trailer.
Silvy
AG
1984 S10 could bumper pull without a problem.
CDUB98
AG
The Wonderer said:

easttexasaggie04 said:

Your truck is fine for the trailer you listed. Get a quality weight-distributing hitch and be on your way.
this
CDUB98
AG
silverado_lover said:

1984 S10 bumper would pull off without a problem.
FIFY
BenTheGoodAg
AG
This thread seems to be a good candidate for a sticky at the top of the auto board main page with how often the topic is covered.
TecRecAg
AG
Get the diesel if you can afford it. Rather have too much power than not enough.
The Wonderer
AG
TecRecAg said:

Get the diesel if you can afford it. Rather have too much power than not enough.
Power really isn't a problem with 7500# and the 6.2 V8. The differences of the 1/2 ton vs the 3/4 ton are, but again, the F150 is more than capable for the trailer shown.
MouthBQ98
AG
I remember when my dad and bro and I towed a 2000lb Boston whaler to Galveston with his old 1982 S10 manual with a badass 120hp 2.8L V6. We barely got that boat back up the boat ramp, but it made it there and back.
Corps_Ag12
AG
The Wonderer said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Don't need max tow for 7500#. My non-MT F150 has a cap of something like 9100#; wasn't concerned to get MT for the extra 2200# ability.

Per the chart, he'd need the Max Tow Package with the 6.2L to not be limited to the 7,500 payload capacity. I just want to caution him not to exceed the manufacturer's recommended max weights.
The Wonderer
AG
Whoa, can't believe it's that low with the 6.2L. I was thinking he was >9000#.
The Wonderer
AG
That doesn't make a lick of sense to me because my 2010 SCrew shortbox with the 5.4L is rated up to 9800. His truck is the same as mine, but with a bigger engine.
MouthBQ98
AG
Must be brake or transmission cooling related?
The Wonderer
AG
Same aux systems to my knowledge.
The Wonderer
AG
Wait, looking at that chart again, it appears that the 6.2L only came with Max Tow. The lower numbers are for the HD edition F150. If he has the 6.2L, then he's good for >11,000#.
AgEng06
AG
The Wonderer said:

Wait, looking at that chart again, it appears that the 6.2L only came with Max Tow. The lower numbers are for the HD edition F150. If he has the 6.2L, then he's good for >11,000#.
Yeah, but he did mention he has a 2012 F-150 w/ the 6.2L, so he either has a HD edition or a Raptor. The Raptor is only rated to 8,000 lb.

EDIT:
Well... I wasn't/am not aware of a "normal" F-150 that came with the 6.2L engine, but maybe there was one since it's shown on the chart...
The Wonderer
AG
AgEng06 said:

The Wonderer said:

Yeah, but he did mention he has a 2012 F-150 w/ the 6.2L, so he either has a HD edition or a Raptor. The Raptor is only rated to 8,000 lb.
No, the Lariat and Platinum lines had it as an option with SCrew configuration and Max Tow required.

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2012&postalCode=43566

Page 26 and 28 under the "Mechanical" section.
AgEng06
AG
Ah, well there you go. I edited when you responded. Didn't realize that was an option in the Lariat and Platinum. Carry on...
Corps_Ag12
AG
Still may only have the HD edition. He hasn't been back to confirm yet.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Yep it's a F-150 Lariat.
Rexter
Don't get lost in tow ratings and forget that torque is what moves it and horsepower is how quick you can do it.

I pulled my 20x8.5 cargo with 4 bikes and a bunch of other stuff to Eureka Springs form CS in October. Averaged 15mpg with my '08 6.4 deleted and tuned. It pulled like the trailer wasn't even there.
OregonAggie
AG
Get the diesel and be a bro like me.
Furlock Bones
AG
i'll reiterate the used gasser. you can get a used 3/4 ton gasser cheaper than it's half ton counterpart.
JSKolache
AG
$$ vs $$$$$
JB
AG
If you want a diesel , then get one. But you don't need it to pull that trailer.

You'll use the warranty a lot more on the diesel. Having owned both and using both to pull trailers, I'd stay with gas unless your going with a big goose or 5th wheel
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The Wonderer said:

Whoa, can't believe it's that low with the 6.2L. I was thinking he was >9000#.
7500 is for the Harley Davidson F150 with the 22" OEM wheels and tires.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.