EPA puts one more nail in the coffin for light duty diesels

3,314 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by longeryak
CDUB98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Their bull**** is making things worse, not better.

*** the EPA
Ag for Life
AG
The EPA needs to be abolished immediately. There's at least some hope for that in a few weeks.
CDUB98
AG
The EPA isn't going away.
The Kraken
AG
This news is relevant to my EcoDiesel.....
CDUB98
AG
Yeah, sorry you're about to go through the ****storm.

But, ya shoulda listened to me and got the Boooooost.
Walter Kovacs
AG
I wonder what Ford's response/tweak for the F150 was to the dieselgate issues
Agmechanic
AG
It sounds like the EPA is whining because:

1. Their tests were not comprehensive enough in the first place
2. The are pissed because the mfg's found the loopholes to their regs
3. Are on a super-duper all out panic witch-hunt before the rug gets pulled out from under them by thenew administration.
TecRecAg
AG
That Eric lawyer guy can go **** himself.
GarlandAg2012
AG
So automakers cheat to get around the regs and it's the EPA's fault?

Sorry but I don't think of what VW did as finding a loophole.
bedofbrass33
AG
Can anyone pinpoint a reason the EPA hates diesels so much and is slowly killing them?

I usually follow the money and threads of power in a situation like this to determine what's really happening behind a seemingly idiotic action. However, I'm not very familiar with the car industry and can't make heads or tails of this.

Guess it could also be the bureaucracy has developed some kind of groupthink that hates diesels due to dirty older diesels. Now it is just ponderously pushing on with a witch hunt until a final death knell is struck due to institutional inertia.
Bighamp03
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

Can anyone pinpoint a reason the EPA hates diesels so much and is slowly killing them?

I usually follow the money and threads of power in a situation like this to determine what's really happening behind a seemingly idiotic action. However, I'm not very familiar with the car industry and can't make heads or tails of this.

Guess it could also be the bureaucracy has developed some kind of groupthink that hates diesels due to dirty older diesels. Now it is just ponderously pushing on with a witch hunt until a final death knell is struck due to institutional inertia.

Following the money like you said, European automakers are "better" at diesels than domestic automakers. Thousands worth of extra emissions equipment plus the maintenance/upkeep of said equipment makes them uncompetitive and unable to standardize models across EU/US.
Ag In Ok
AG
How can the long established fiat diesel survive in Europe where there is more widespread acceptance of climate controls be unfit for the American market?
I wonder if I will get a check, a letter of apology, or reprogramming? Didn't vw write a check to the government then to all current owners? I don't see that happening under the incoming administration.
robertcope
The rest of the world has decided diesels were a mistake:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/08/pollutionwatch-europes-problem-diesel-cars
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38170794
https://www.ft.com/content/627c6812-7faf-11e4-adff-00144feabdc0
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/auto/miscellaneous/In-Delhi-immediate-ban-on-diesel-vehicles-over-10-years-old-NGT/articleshow/53262500.cms

robert
JSKolache
AG
Anyone familiar with the systems and how the testing works? I'm curious. To make the huge spikes in nox it could be a function of limiting the exhaust fluid treatment. But for what benefit - is that stuff expensive? Bad for performance?
Presley OBannons Sword
Agmechanic said:

It sounds like the EPA is whining because:

1. Their tests were not comprehensive enough in the first place
2. The are pissed because the mfg's found the loopholes to their regs
3. Are on a super-duper all out panic witch-hunt before the rug gets pulled out from under them by thenew administration.
the private sector will beat the government at the one-up game continuously until the final card of gun point is played by the State.

the EPA is yet another useless self licking ice cream cone government entity that will continue to crush businesses in its path in an ever growing hunger to continue its existence.
Ag In Ok
AG
I can see trump negotiating with fiat to have those diesels made in the USA in return for reduced fines
Agmechanic
AG
My problem is: Where does the collected money go? Do we pay the environment for the damage? Do they walk up to flowers and cram $100 bills in them?
Silvy
AG
aggieforester05
AG
Maybe the arbitrary standards set by bureaucrats are unrealistic and not mechanically or fiscally feasible.
OE_Ag11
AG
Ha, my parents used their VW settlement check to buy an eco diesel. wonder what vehicle they will move to next.
CDUB98
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Maybe the arbitrary standards set by bureaucrats are unrealistic and not mechanically or fiscally feasible.
DING DING DING
longeryak
aggieforester05 said:

Who said they ever thought that and weren't trying to force people into compact fuel sippers via onerous CAFE and EPA standards from the get go?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.