Kia Stinger....surprisingly good looking?

12,398 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CATAGBQ04
Brad_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kia Stinger for 2018. Pricing to be announced. RWD Sedan. Not as powerful as an SS. What say ye Auto board?

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-kia-stinger-sports-sedan-photos-and-info-news

Brad_97
Brad_97
AG

Mookie
AG
Clap clap clap clap clap STILL A KIA
Complete Idiot
I've liked some Kia designs since the Optima was updated in 2011 (I think that was the year). I believe that was due to obtaining a designed who came from Audi - there were some design similarities. I also think Kia build quality starting improving around 2009/2010 as well but the Kia perception here in America is still poor. As a result, I think used Kia's can be great bargain buys for those looking for a decent car and to save a buck.
edwardsk2003
AG
For true reliability, buying 1-2 years used...less than 30k miles.... is kia or hyundai more reliable for keeping a car 8-10 years?
hatchback
AG
I don't like their designs. But, to each their own.
javajaws
AG
Now if they could just get rid of the huge "KIA" from the steering wheel I might forget its a KIA.
edwardsk2003
AG

Quote:

Much of the chassis development was carried out in Europe, led by Hyundai-Kia's chief handling engineer, Albert Biermann, who formerly headed BMW's M division.
The Wonderer
AG
My interest is piqued.
GTIAG09
AG
I'm interested in this vehicle and to see what the Hyundai/Genesis sibling will look like. If it starts at around $30k it will definitely be on my list when I'm looking for my next vehicle in 3-4 years. If it's priced closer to $40k I'd either look for a used one 1-2 years old to take advantage of the Kia/Hyundai depreciation, or get into a Charger R/T Scat Pack
YouBet
AG
I like it. They need to replace their badge. They have zero equity in that design so I'm not sure why they haven't replaced it already. Hyundai did it for Genesis and Hyundai owns 40% of KIA (or used to) so would be surprised this hasn't at least been discussed.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GTIAG09 said:

I'm interested in this vehicle and to see what the Hyundai/Genesis sibling will look like. If it starts at around $30k it will definitely be on my list when I'm looking for my next vehicle in 3-4 years. If it's priced closer to $40k I'd either look for a used one 1-2 years old to take advantage of the Kia/Hyundai depreciation, or get into a Charger R/T Scat Pack
The 365hp one will be the halo model in this lineup...

I imagine there will be a NA 3.3L V6 and maybe a Turbo 4 or NA 4 for fleets.
Tim Weaver
Automatic only. Sad face....
Garrelli 5000
AG
I think this sums it up. When I see a newer Optima on the road I often think "that's a sharp car", then I see the KIA on it and immediately say "no thanks".

I have zero experience to back up my bias, I just see that and think of the ugly little eco-cars they cranked out for years. I've always thought that they probably rattle like a coin operated bed within 12 months.
aggiebq03+
hatchback said:

I don't like their designs. But, to each their own.

Says "hatchback".
Haha!
Buck O Five
AG
YouBet said:

I like it. They need to replace their badge. They have zero equity in that design so I'm not sure why they haven't replaced it already. Hyundai did it for Genesis and Hyundai owns 40% of KIA (or used to) so would be surprised this hasn't at least been discussed.
Timber08
Seems like this would be a great car to pair with the 10 year 100k mi powertrain warranty since it includes anything that might break getting rung out and/or the turbos.

I kind of like it, will be interesting to see where pricing settles after the introduction excitement wears off.
BEaggie08
AG
I drove one last weekend. It was very well put together, and not just for a Kia. Great fit and finish. It was roomy for a car of this type and it really moved. I drove the GT which was priced at 52k. I came away impressed with the car and thought it was a blast to drive, but I couldn't see paying that much for a Kia.

I feel like they should have used this car in a rebranding effort, ala the Genesis.
YouBet
AG
Just checked it out on kia.com. Sharp looking car. You can definitely see the BMW influence on the interior and the Audi influence especially in the butt.

Performance looks pretty good.

Still need to kill that KIA insignia though.
SA-AG72
AG
YouBet said:

Just checked it out on kia.com. Sharp looking car. You can definitely see the BMW influence on the interior and the Audi influence especially in the butt.

They need to use their other logo
f2foxes2001
AG
James may drove one in gran tour and really gave it high marks. Looks good, from a numbers and aesthetic POV.
"Without the Corps, A&M would be Texas State or t.u." "lots of rednecks wear jorts, lots of rednecks are Longhorns. do the math."
YouBet
AG
SA-AG72 said:

YouBet said:

They need to use their other logo

Kind of cool. It could be the official Fantastic Four sports car.
94chem
Quote:

I also think Kia build quality starting improving around 2009/2010 as well but the Kia perception here in America is still poor. As a result, I think used Kia's can be great bargain buys for those looking for a decent car and to save a buck.
Correct. Kia is just as good as Honda or Toyota (which aren't better than anybody else), and has been a good bargain for the past 8 or so years. Just a car, y'all - can't let your emotions over a logo cost you big bucks.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
What I imagine most Stinger owners are going to be like....

PMD03
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I kept waiting for him to break character... and he never did!
sts7049
AG
sweet jesus
AggieChemE09
AG
I now have a Kia Stinger. As probably the only one here with one if anyone has any questions I'll answer.
Bob_Ag
AG
We don't have a Stinger but we did just trade my wife's 2012 Kia Sorento for a 2018 model with V6 loaded. I asked her if she wanted to look around as I like the Highlanders, but she said that car in nearly 7 years has needed nothing but normal maintenance and a battery, why change what works. I agreed.

I have to admit, she got it in Sangria (maroon) with black accents and black leather, and it's pretty damn sharp. Plus, I think we would have paid at least 3-5 grand more for a Highlander, Explorer, etc. with the same features. I think Kia's are a pretty good deal right now with great warranties to back em up.
Complete Idiot
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I didn't even know what the E Badge was for - read this: http://www.caradvice.com.au/537640/kia-e-badge-explained-debuts-on-korean-stinger/

So owners state "this is what Kia intended for the car" and they like that. As a Chevy SS owner I see many other owners pulling all the Chevy Badges and putting Holden badges on "as it should be because thats what these cars are". I don't agree, but many do it.
Complete Idiot
AggieChemE09 said:

I now have a Kia Stinger. As probably the only one here with one if anyone has any questions I'll answer.
Congrats on the purchase!

Lacking a lot of detail - which trim? Which engine? Lots of options based on those answers.
AggieChemE09
AG
Complete Idiot said:

AggieChemE09 said:

Congrats on the purchase!

Lacking a lot of detail - which trim? Which engine? Lots of options based on those answers.
White GT2 - 3.3L TT

I was pretty set on the GT1 but the wife wanted a lot of the options that came with the GT2

https://imgur.com/a/a3K3Y
AggieChemE09
AG
Complete Idiot said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

I didn't even know what the E Badge was for - read this: http://www.caradvice.com.au/537640/kia-e-badge-explained-debuts-on-korean-stinger/

So owners state "this is what Kia intended for the car" and they like that. As a Chevy SS owner I see many other owners pulling all the Chevy Badges and putting Holden badges on "as it should be because thats what these cars are". I don't agree, but many do it.
I would switch badges but I don't want to deal with questions like "wtf does "E" Stand for?". I would much rather answer the question "Is that really a kia?"
sts7049
AG
sweet ride
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Bob_Ag said:

We don't have a Stinger but we did just trade my wife's 2012 Kia Sorento for a 2018 model with V6 loaded. I asked her if she wanted to look around as I like the Highlanders, but she said that car in nearly 7 years has needed nothing but normal maintenance and a battery, why change what works. I agreed.

I have to admit, she got it in Sangria (maroon) with black accents and black leather, and it's pretty damn sharp. Plus, I think we would have paid at least 3-5 grand more for a Highlander, Explorer, etc. with the same features. I think Kia's are a pretty good deal right now with great warranties to back em up.
Man you should have waited for the 2019 Sorento!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.