Front end question (GMC 2500hd)

914 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by KnightlyGent
KnightlyGent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an 03 GMC 2500hd 4x4 that I bought with nearly 250 k miles on it about 6 months ago.. normally wouldn't even consider a truck with that many miles, even though it's a diesel, but it was the original owner and he had proof of meticulous maintenance.. it's a solid truck overall, but I recently noticed wear on the inside of my front tires.. my suspicion was that the ball joints were bad and causing the alignment to go out of whack, but I just had an estimate given to me at a local auto shop, and much to my dismay, they quoted me $3500! Citing that my hubs were going out, as well as ball joints and a few other things like leaks (that I already knew about, they're just not as pressing). Anyway, I'm just wondering if the hubs are actually shot.. I don't hear any of the typical sounds associated with failing hubs, yet there is excessive play when I shake the front right tire at the 12 and 6 positions.. I was hoping that was just the ball joints.. I'm a broke college kid and could sure use some insight that might save me a few bucks! Thanks!
Furlock Bones
AG
get to know rockauto.com

i recommend doing the whole upper arm ball joint replacement combo.

hubs are probably shot but they are easy to replace if you have tools.

buy the parts and do it yourself or find a buddy.
txyaloo
AG
Cross shop on Amazon if you have Prime.

I usually find Amazon cheaper even with the 5% off Rock Auto coupons after you factor in shipping. Rock Auto gets expensive when your order has shipments from 2-3 different warehouses. Ebay is another good option.

I recent bought a new steering shaft on ebay that was $100 cheaper than the next closest.
MouthBQ98
AG
Parts are cheap, and the work isn't that hard. Get the Haynes or Chilton book (same thing now), and get after it one weekend. Replace the wear parts, bearings/hubs. I only have the 2wD so it is different up there, but I've taken my nissan's front end all apart and replaced or rebuilt/upgraded all the front steering and suspension and drivetrain. That Chevy can't be any harder. Just bigger. You will need a big ass crowbar and a 4lb mallet to bang-pop the ball joints.
MouthBQ98
AG
My wife's suburban has eaten tires on the inside the entire time we've owned it, despite numerous alignments and different tires. It seems to just be the way some chevys are
locogringo
AG
Agree with everything posted above,

I'd offer to help you do the work (I have all the tools needed) but I'm 2 hours west of College Station, doubt you'd want to travel that far.

If you do the whole upper control arm replacement, you'll need to factor in an alignment.
ChimbosAg
AG
If you can jack one side up, move the wheel side to side if there is a lot of play then the hubs are going out.
TecRecAg
AG
I had my front hubs replaced on my 2003 GMC 2500 at a shop in CS for $900. I'd get a second quote if you aren't the type to turn your own wrenches.
KnightlyGent
AG
I appreciate everyone's suggestions and input! Update: I replaced the worst ball joints myself, and decided to wait until spring break to do the hub. That turned out to be a big mistake.. I was cruising through San Antonio on my way to college station when the hub decided it was time to blow up. I knew it was bad, but had no idea it would do that so soon. Lesson learned! Anyway, we took it to a good mechanic back home and it's fixed, just gotta go home and pick it up now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.