Full size SUV

4,130 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggieforester05
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife's car is fixing to crap out again (transmission) and we are being told by multiple mechanics that it would be in our best interest to get rid of it now. She has a Saturn Outlook now and we are thinking that Sequoia, Tahoe, Yukon or Expedition should be next. Likely going used because the thought of paying $50k+ for a car gives us both heartburn. Of those options, which is more bang for your buck? Which should be avoided (reliability, etc...)? Any other thoughts?
The Wonderer
AG
Sequoia will have the best reliability because Toyota, but it is also the most expensive of all of those.

The Yukon and Tahoe are the same mechanically. The difference lies in the interior. I don't have experience with the most current gen, but my mom's 07 Suburban has the dash crack pretty bad a few years ago and I don't care for it's driving systems compared to Ford (spongy brakes, weird throttle feeling in the drive by wire system, etc.)

The Expys are nice, if not a little dated depending on what model/gen you're looking at, but they came with teh 5.4L up until 2013 I believe. That motor has a long and proven track record if cared for (the spark plug issue notwithstanding).
The Wonderer
AG
Best advice is to find something with complete service records available.
CanyonAg77
AG

...............minivan............
chjoak
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

We are both trying to avoid that like the plague.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's sort if a running gag here on the AB. But they really do a great job for a family.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
The wifey has a 2015 Yukon fully loaded. She freaking loves it and gets great gas mileage. The interior is and exterior supersede the Tahoe. It just looks a lot cleaner.
howdydamnit04
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

It's sort if a running gag here on the AB. But they really do a great job for a family.

I'm a AB lurker... But we just had twins so we got an Odyssey. Thing is freaking sweet. Rides smooth and comfortable kinda wish there was a mini minivan that I could use as a commuter. Screw what other people think about you!
AustinCountyAg
Make sure you put this on your new van

FIDO*98*
AG
We just traded in my Wife's '08 Tahoe LTZ for a '16 Expedition Platinum. We test drove the new Tahoe LTZ as well, but, the Expedition just felt like a better vehicle. If you can get over the styling, the Ford is a really nice SUV.
agracer
AG
chjoak said:

CanyonAg77 said:

We are both trying to avoid that like the plague.
Comfort, convienence, good gas mileage, lower price, lower cost of ownership, reliable...yes, by all means avoid that!

My wife and I said the same thing. 2-kids later and a 3rd on the way (and for the hell of it a 4th) and a new Odyssey graced our driveway. It's 17 years old, 190k, and still runs like a champ. Brakes, oil, shocks, gas, fluids....really can't complain as it has been a very solid vehicle from day 1.

They're easier to get in/out of for your kids (no climbing to the back seat), have tons a of space and fold the seats down and you can get plenty of home improvement cargo in the back.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Listen to this guy, he has a Ferrari too.
The Wonderer
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

AND 4 kids.
CanyonAg77
AG
The Wonderer said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

AND 4 kids.
The amazing thing is that the 3rd isn't even born yet, and the 4th is on the way. He's one manly man!
Quote:

2-kids later and a 3rd on the way (and for the hell of it a 4th)

coolerguy12
AG
We bought a used Sequoia last year and my wife and I both love it. We got captains chairs in the 2nd row with a center consol and wish we had gotten the 3 seater 2nd row. It's tough with a car seat to only have 1 extra seat with the back row down. It's sized about right for 3 kids. I think any more and we would go suburban or mini van. He trunk disappears with the 3rd row up.

Overall great car and would reccomend it to anyone.
agracer
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

The Wonderer said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

AND 4 kids.
The amazing thing is that the 3rd isn't even born yet, and the 4th is on the way. He's one manly man!
Quote:

2-kids later and a 3rd on the way (and for the hell of it a 4th)

yes, worded poorly...3rd was just starting when the Odyssey was purchased. 4th came a few years later.
CanyonAg77
AG
I like the original wording better
BurnetAggie99
16 Ford Expedition EL
Sq16Aggie2006
We love our Sequoia, got a new one from Buck a few months ago. Two thumbs up
Ronnie
AG
Minivan Highway
Dr. Doctor
AG
I joined the minivan side after rolling a 20 year old explorer. Aunt had 20+ years of suburbans and while they carry a lot, they drank gas like crazy. Plus, getting people in and out could be a pain.

The Pacifica I have is like driving a cloud. Plenty of power (done a few times in Houston traffic), my 3 year old can (and does) open and closes doors with ease, as well as gets into the seat with no issues.

Plus I can haul about 15 sheets of plywood inside the car no problems. And 10' boards (2x8 is the biggest, IIRC).

~egon
The Fife
Dr. Doctor said:

Plus I can haul about 15 sheets of plywood inside the car no problems. And 10' boards (2x8 is the biggest, IIRC).

~egon
This is why I see bunches of minivans at the lumber company and tile distributor I normally buy from. They'll load up an old Aerostar or whatever until it's on the bump stops and then some.
MGS
Outlook transmission problems? Let me guess - 35R waveplate? I believe there's an extended warranty on that.
chjoak
AG
We are at 124k miles. Extended warranty is in the past. Plus we are tired of dealing it.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
In before MF Barnes posts pictures of his Escalade!
Goodest Poster
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I'm a AB lurker... But we just had twins so we got an Odyssey. Thing is freaking sweet. Rides smooth and comfortable kinda wish there was a mini minivan that I could use as a commuter. Screw what other people think about you!
They just recalled a ton of newer model Odysseys (I think 09 thru 16) . Might check to see if yours is one.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
jftx04 said:

howdydamnit04 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

They just recalled a ton of newer model Odysseys (I think 09 thru 16) . Might check to see if yours is one.

11-16 were recalled due to the 2nd row seat not latching correctly after opening for 3rd row access, and several people have been injured in crashes because of this.

suprafly03
AG
I did just get my wife and new Escalade ESV. I really like it. She's kinda "meh" about it.

She is getting out of an infiniti QX80(56) because we needed more room beyond the third row. That room is priceless in our family of 5 possibly 6 in the future.

She preferred the short wheelbase truck due to its maneuverability and more spirited driving characteristics. But to me the Cadillac is MUCH more comfortable to ride and drive. The infiniti has a very awkward seating position that I could never get over.

So a suburban or Tahoe or escalade certainly get my vote over a minivan or the expedition (unless the new 2017s come out soon to match my new f150- love my truck). The sequoia simply isn't as big as the GM triplets or the Ford offering, but it's a great truck. I drove a Tundra for many trouble-free years.

Large families need large vehicles. Large vehicles aren't fun to drive. Oh well, nothing we can do about it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I would look at the 4runner. It isn't full size but the room in there isn't that much of a drop off of what is in a Tahoe. You'll miss the V8 of the bigger SUVs and a little room but I think you can get buy. And those things hold the hell out of their value. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting a 4Runner of any model series that is still on the road.
The Fife
Family of 5 or 6? I'd start thinking seriously about a Transit or something similar.
BrazosDog02
AG
We have a 2013 Expedition EL Limited. Couldn't wait for Ford to get the new ones out. Ordered it from the factory with the 5.4L and 4WD. It's a fantastic vehicle. We haul two kids and all their **** to games and stuff and we also haul a travel trailer with it when we go on vacation. Never considered a minivan due to looks and usability. When the Expy is ready for replacement, hopefully the new Expy and motor will be as proven as the old one and we'll get a new one. It's a nice ride. Camera, video in headrests, ..... It doesn't ride or handle like the 1997 Expy 4x4, which kinda sucks, but she likes it and doesn't know the difference.
suprafly03
AG
Let me clarify. That includes us...the two parents.

So only 3-4 kids.
aggieforester05
AG
I recommend looking into the Ford Flex ecoboost. Lots of room, comfortable, and fun to drive.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.