Engine? whine upon acceleration

10,728 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Dumpster Fire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In my 2012 F150 V6 I am getting a whine when I accelerate until about 3rd gear or so. It is noticeable with radio off but can't hear it with music.

Is this a belt or hose problem? Anyone else had this issue? I tried youtube but none of those sound like mine. It only happens in drive, not in R, N, or P.

I think I read something about a brake pump or power steering pump whine but it only happens on acceleration and not braking or turning.

I've got an appt. with the dealership next Monday for a diagnostic but if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate any insight.
The Wonderer
AG
Does it fluctuate with correlation with the RPMs?
Dumpster Fire
The Wonderer said:

Does it fluctuate with correlation with the RPMs?
Yes, I think so. If I step on it then the engine revs and the whine goes away. The whine is when I accelerate normally or just lightly press the gas.

But I do think it gets higher in correlation to RPMs
Dumpster Fire
Confirmed. It fluctuates with rpms. Also goes away around 3/4 gear and 30/35 mph
Mookie
AG
Silvy says LS SWAP
TecRecAg
AG
Thought this was going to be a twin-screw thread.

Best of luck figuring out that annoying whine!
CanyonAg77
AG
Tell your wife to hush.

Seriously, I'm not sure. One common whining sound is power steering fluid being low. Not sure why that would go away, other than other noises drown it out at speed.
Shelton98
AG
If it only happens when you're going down the road, then I'm betting on a wheel hub/bearing or rear-end. You driven through any high water in the last few months?
Dumpster Fire
No high water and the sound is definitely coming from the front only at acceleration.

Maybe a hose is loose or leaking?
The Wonderer
AG
Has the truck been serviced recently? Could be intake suck.
Shelton98
AG
Is it an EcoBoost?
Dumpster Fire
The Wonderer said:

Has the truck been serviced recently? Could be intake suck.
No not by a dealership. I changed the oil in December and rotated tires but haven't serviced anything else.

Quote:

Is it an EcoBoost?
No. It's the 3.7V6
The Wonderer
AG
Are you positive this is not correlated to wheel speed? The whine correlating to RPMs, but not present in R, N, or P, doesn't make sense. The only thing that would make sense to me would be the transmission.
Dumpster Fire
The Wonderer said:

Are you positive this is not correlated to wheel speed? The whine correlating to RPMs, but not present in R, N, or P, doesn't make sense. The only thing that would make sense to me would be the transmission.
No I'm not positive about anything right now because I can't find anything on youtube that sounds similar. It isn't tire sound because I can lightly press the pedal and get the whine without really increasing speed. And when I say whine it sounds more like a whistle. It doesn't sound like a belt whine.

I have an appt on Monday at the dealership but just checking in here to see if there was anything anyone knew or could recommend me check out.

The Wonderer
AG
How many miles? I just find it hard to pinpoint becasue if it was truly engine related, then you should hear it when revving up in N, R, and P.

Could be exhaust manifold leak.
CanyonAg77
AG
vacuum hose disconnected?

Though I am leaning to the guys who say driveline or wheel bearing. Since you aren't moving in P or N, and moving slowly in R, it could be you only hear it while above a certain speed.

And if you can't hear it by revving the engine in N (neutral) that pretty much eliminates engine.
Dumpster Fire

Quote:

How many miles? I just find it hard to pinpoint becasue if it was truly engine related, then you should hear it when revving up in N, R, and P.

Could be exhaust manifold leak.
82K miles.

If it does turn out to be the manifold leak, how difficult is that to replace for a weekend car maintenance guy?
Dumpster Fire
CanyonAg77 said:

vacuum hose disconnected?

Though I am leaning to the guys who say driveline or wheel bearing. Since you aren't moving in P or N, and moving slowly in R, it could be you only hear it while above a certain speed.

And if you can't hear it by revving the engine in N (neutral) that pretty much eliminates engine.
Not sure. I'll check to see how to find a vacuum hose leak.

coppag92
AG
Mookie said:

Silvy says LS SWAP

Let;s add on the Lingenfelter package for good measure.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Can you record?

My first thought was power steering fluid but your F150 should have EPAS.

How many miles?

Could be a failing tensioner pulley.
Dumpster Fire
I can try and get the GoPro to record tomorrow.

The brake fluid is full and it has 82k miles on it.
Dumpster Fire
OK I took some video today while running errands.

Part 1 video is at start up where you can here a clicking sound that seems to be unrelated to the whine in parts 2&3.

Part 1:

Part 2: This is where I recorded me accelerating in the neighborhood

Part 3: More engine whine/whistle but I took the GoPro out of the case to see if it helps with the audio
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
TSB 13-6-4

https://latemodel.cachefly.net/downloads/tsb05-14/tsb13-06-04.pdf

Looks like you fall under this provision.

Not sure if you're still under powertrain but if you have a good relation with the dealer, they can probably work with you.
Dumpster Fire
Thanks. Im at 82K so looks like im out of powertrain warranty. It's going to the dealer on Monday so we shall see what it sets me back.
Dumpster Fire
Oh and any information about the clicking in the 1st video?
sts7049
AG
that click/buzz sounds like some sort of loose metal.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

What kind of oil/filter do you use?
Dumpster Fire
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Dumpster Fire said:

Full synthetic 5w20 with a regular filter from auto zone
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Dumpster Fire said:

Full synthetic 5w20 with a regular filter from auto zone
Change to a motocraft filter.
Side-pocket16
AG
Clicking has always been present on my 2012 3.7L. 70,xxx miles. Always used motocraft filters as well. Exact same as what video shows. Any other theories??
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Side-pocket16 said:

Clicking has always been present on my 2012 3.7L. 70,xxx miles. Always used motocraft filters as well. Exact same as what video shows. Any other theories??
I was t hinking with the cheaper filters the ADB valves sometimes rattle, but if it only makes the noise when cold, perhaps its the heat shields expanding from the heat?
Dumpster Fire
Hey 1ags,

How certain are you that the cause is the torque converter/front pump? I ask because the shop I took it to said they agree with what I mentioned about the TSB. But I don't know if they would have come to that conclusion without my mentioning it.

Did I lead them to that conclusion or based on your experience you're certain that is the issue?

Thanks,

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

Hey 1ags,

How certain are you that the cause is the torque converter/front pump? I ask because the shop I took it to said they agree with what I mentioned about the TSB. But I don't know if they would have come to that conclusion without my mentioning it.

Did I lead them to that conclusion or based on your experience you're certain that is the issue?

Thanks,

I've heard several mustangs and F150s do the same thing.

Some guy i know had a mustang like that and drove it for 75K more miles like that after a fluid change and had no issues.

Dumpster Fire
So, update to the story:

Took it to the dealership last week (Wednesday) and had them check it out and see if any warranty work had been previously performed. Previous owner didn't do any warranty work or this TSB so great; I'm now out of warranty.

They said they'd get the pump and torque converter by Saturday and get it completed by Monday afternoon. Well, the shipment didn't come in Saturday, or Monday (yes they were open on MLK). Showed up Tuesday morning and they began work knowing I needed it no later than Wednesday at 11am (because I told them I couldn't be out a week without a car with my wife working in Waco today-Friday, two kids in school and it being the 1st week of school at my university).

Just got a call that the pump didn't show up or something like that and it is going to be here at noon which the service guy said it would be tonight or tomorrow morning before getting my truck.

Not to mention that since it is out of warranty I am paying for it and it is $600 more than the quote at an independent transmission shop (I know, OEM at dealership, blah, blah, blah, fine) and they promised me it wouldn't take a week like the other shop said it would.

So now I'm waiting to see if I can get a loaner car or something since they can't seem to meet a deadline.

Am I being too harsh in demanding a free loaner car? Should I have expected this to take this long?
sts7049
AG
i'd certainly push hard for one
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.