Is this an repair shop/estimator scam ?

2,439 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by agracer
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FINALLY got my Toyota Tacoma back after a wreck back in Sept. The wrecker driver commented that the frame was bent and it would likely be totaled. Tried to show me but it was dark, raining and dirty. He was CERTAIN..he looks at these all the time.
Long story short. The Alabama " estimator" said NO bent frame and gave an estimate of around $8k. I was back home in Houston so could not argue with him as the truck was still in Mobile. After a $1600 tow to a recommended Houston repair facility ....Who also said NO bent frame ...we ended up THREE MONTHS LATER with a $18,000 repair bill, a $4500 rental bill and a to be determined DV payment...This vehicle CLEARLY should have been totaled and ALL agree the original idiot really blew it.

ONE WEEK after I finally got the truck I took it in for an oil change to my long used and trusted garage. I just got a call and was told.....

" your repairs look good EXCEPT...YOUR FRAME IS BENT and the new hyd motor mount has already blown out ! I asked the guy how the hell it was missed...Answer..simple there is a YUGE nationwide scam going on EVERYWHERE with all insurance companies and tons of repair shops where the original estimator low balls seriously, the " should be" totaled wreck is sent to a shop where the shop issues numerous supplementals to run up YUGE repair bills. The insurance co is already on the hook and just pays and pays.. too many wrecks were being totaled and the repair shops were hurting....
How the hell can a repair shop miss a clearly bent frame while working on the damn front end for THREE MONTHS !!!!!
I'm at such a loss. "As is" the truck is a salvage..virtually no value with a bent frame....
Any suggestions ? Of course I'm taking it back to the repair shop on Monday but expecting a real fight .
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The Wonderer
AG
Insurance companies use their adjusters to determine what they think is wrong based on inspection. Most of time this is supplemented after body panels are pulled off and more damage is discovered by the shop.

Sounds like the shop didn't place it on the frame machine. Tell your insurance company that you want it placed on a frame machine to double check the straightness of the frame.
The Original AG 76
AG
The Wonderer said:

Insurance companies use their adjusters to determine what they think is wrong based on inspection. Most of time this is supplemented after body panels are pulled off and more damage is discovered by the shop.

Sounds like the shop didn't place it on the frame machine. Tell your insurance company that you want it placed on a frame machine to double check the straightness of the frame.
will do.... thank you.
supposedly the bent frame is pretty obvious to anyone who works on these things with the truck elevated a bit. Again the wrecker driver and my mechanic saw it quite readily with just a cursory look.
something just doesn't seem right .
GrapevineAg
AG
USAA will total a vehicle if the repairs are >= 85% of its value - may be the same or similar for other insurers. Repair shops will initially estimate the damage at around 80%, even if they know it's much higher. If they go too high, then they don't get to do any repairs and lose out - USAA writes a check to the owner who then goes car shopping. A shop may then start adding more dollars to the bill after they start performing repairs.
The Original AG 76
AG
GrapevineAg said:

USAA will total a vehicle if the repairs are >= 85% of its value - may be the same or similar for other insurers. Repair shops will initially estimate the damage at around 80%, even if they know it's much higher. If they go too high, then they don't get to do any repairs and lose out - USAA writes a check to the owner who then goes car shopping. A shop may then start adding more dollars to the bill after they start performing repairs.
I kept telling the adjuster ,over the 3 damn month repair, that they were heading to 100%PLUS of value. I would tell them weekly that they had a $2000 now $3000 now FOUR THOUSAND DOLLAR car rental bill alone !!! He just said ..oh well.... looks like we blew it ! The shop kept finding obvious stuff and sending in supplemental after supplemental . Last one was the $1000 replacement for the collapsed steering column assy caused by ME damn near being impaled..Which I also tried to tell hem about at the beginning !!! My broker even admitted he's never seen a total F-UP like this claim.
GrapevineAg
AG
Yeah, the insurance company needs to do a better job of getting their adjuster involved before the work starts to verify the shop's initial estimate. If I see an estimate right around 80-85%, I'm just going to ask the insurance company to total the vehicle and be done with it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
This is not a new 'scam'....body shops will lower an estimate to get the work, only to write a supplement mid repair to get more work/money.

However, on a hard hit, the insurance company typically will:

1. Pay body shop to tear down the car to a certain point.
2. Measure frame/structure to verify if there is frame damage.
3. If there is no frame damage, and the repairs fall under the total threshold, then the repairs start.
4. If there IS frame damage, the insurance company will evaluate whether to repair/deem total loss based on repair costs.

I would be really surprised if the insurance company did NOT do this when proceeding with your repairs.

I'd call the adjuster and work with them as well as the body shop.

JP76
What insurance company is this ?
The Original AG 76
AG
JP76 said:

What insurance company is this ?
Travelers
Pepper Brooks
AG
Which Travelers office are you dealing with and do you mind providing a claim number?

Insuranceag10@gmail.com if you'd prefer to email.
agracer
AG
GrapevineAg said:

USAA will total a vehicle if the repairs are >= 85% of its value - may be the same or similar for other insurers.
That actually depends on the state. KS total vehicles is 75% of value. Other states have no rules and it's up to the insurance company.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.