Engine in GMC Sierra 1500

1,741 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Macarthur
re_g07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a 2007 Suerra 1500 4wd Sle. Yesterday a horrible knocking noise started and took to dealership. Today they called saying it needs a new engine. 8k for the new engine. Is this normal and how is this price comparatively? 85000 miles on truck. Thanks
Corps_Ag12
AG
Damn, sounds like your lifters **** the bed because of the AFM issue. I'd get a second opinion & the motor can probably be rebuilt (better by removing AFM crap) at an independent shop.

Where are you located? I'm sure someone on here can recommend a shop that specializes in this.
Silvy
AG
Time for a 6.0 or 6.2 swap

Or you can do another 5.3, would find a performance shop to slam it in if you can't yourself. Ideally, you'd delete all AFM hardware in the engine. At minimum, you should have AFM turned off via PCM tune.
Towns03
AG
I replaced the lifters and cam in my sierra after hearing a light knocking that followed the speed of the engine. they also removed the AFM program and cleaned/rebuilt the injectors. A place called KP racing in Houston did the work for around $2400. a rebuilt engine will end up around $5700 after all the BS.
moore42
AG
Towns03 said:

I replaced the lifters and cam in my sierra after hearing a light knocking that followed the speed of the engine. they also removed the AFM program and cleaned/rebuilt the injectors. A place called KP racing in Houston did the work for around $2400. a rebuilt engine will end up around $5700 after all the BS.
That still seems crazy high. The parts are like $500 for cam and lifters.

For $5700, you better have an LS7 sitting between the fenders.
Towns03
AG
I got several quotes for the cam/lifter replacement (included a bunch of other little things: plugs, wires, injector rebuilt, etc) and $2400 was the lowest. KP was the only group that was doing this work regularly.

my FIL just rebuilt his engine (2001 suburban) with Thunderbolt and his total was $5700.

Silvy
AG
Well, what cam did you get?
BosAG06
AG
Those engines are having lifter problems. Change motor oil to 5w30. Regular motor oil. Non synthetic and add 8 ounces of marvel mystery oil. That should make noise go away after a day or two of driving. Change oil again in 1000 miles
malibu9in1
1500 to 1800 tops.
Agmechanic
AG
What silvy said. Time to throw a good cam, ditch the afs, tune it. Truck will run better than ever.

Find a hungry gm mechanic, should have it all done in a weekend
Macarthur
What is AFM?
Macarthur
NM
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.