so the guy who bought my truck last year just called...

3,294 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Olag00
Beckdiesel03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
September of 2015 I sold my truck to a "friend of a friend" who was going to take it and use it for a ranch truck. Signed the title and bill of sale and got the money. Fast forward to today, I get a random call from the guy saying he wants me to just change the '15 on the title to a "16 and sign it to the guy he is now selling it to because he never changed the title or registered it. My first instinct is to tell this guy to pound sound and deal with it himself because I feel uncomfortable doing it and I just don't want to. Am I overreacting?
Javelina
AG
Tell him no. He can register it himself and pay the fine for not doing it when he should have.
Duncan Idaho
Doesn't he just have to sign an affidavit thst he hasnt driven it?
PMD03
AG
Why can't he change the 15?
CDUB98
AG
MY VOTE: POUND SAND
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

My first instinct is to tell this guy to pound sound and deal with it himself because I feel uncomfortable doing it and I just don't want to.
Your first instinct was correct.
Salt of the water
AG
Did you fill out a "vehicle transfer notification" form with Texas dmv to remove your liability from the vehicle? If not you and it's still registered in your name you could be liable for parking tickets, toll violations, etc.

It's a good belt and suspenders thing to do and also helps discourage shady title skipping car sellers.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Salt-for the life of me I can't remember if I did or not. I thought I had bc of dealing with issues in the past with another vehicle I'm just not sure.
JSKolache
AG
Salt of the water said:

Did you fill out a "vehicle transfer notification" form with Texas dmv to remove your liability from the vehicle? If not you and it's still registered in your name you could be liable for parking tickets, toll violations, etc.

It's a good belt and suspenders thing to do and also helps discourage shady title skipping car sellers.
Or when the new owners blow tollbooths before they re-register. Happened to me last year, and I was able to refer back to the Transfer Notification form to get the fees wiped from my acct.
Matsui
AG
Tell man to pound sand.
Presley OBannons Sword
I wouldn't even call him back. Not your problem to deal with.
Aggietaco
AG
On the flip side, it sounds like a good way to make $200.
aggiepaintrain
AG
$100-$200 sounds about right to me.

But you would want assurances it gets taken out of your name 'this time'
Beckdiesel03
AG
Yea but if I write a new bill of sale to the guy dated now it still puts the truck in my possession the last 15 months, uninsured, not registered, and doing god knows what is the whole thing that makes me uneasy. Thanks for backing up what I figured was the right thing "not" to do.
Gigemags05
AG
If a person I knew was in this situation I would go sign it over for him and not have much of an issue with it. If its someone I don't know, then not a chance.

I get that the guy should've gotten it switched over, but people make mistakes.

Maybe I am missing something, what harm could come from helping the guy out?
John Francis Donaghy
Gigemags05 said:

If a person I knew was in this situation I would go sign it over for him and not have much of an issue with it. If its someone I don't know, then not a chance.

I get that the guy should've gotten it switched over, but people make mistakes.

Maybe I am missing something, what harm could come from helping the guy out?
Quote:

Failing to properly transfer a vehicle into the buyer's name could result in the seller being held responsible for tickets, toll violations or even crimes committed with the vehicle......To protect yourself, file a Vehicle Transfer Notification. When a vehicle transfer notification is received, TxDMV updates the motor vehicle record to show the vehicle as sold.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle
Signing a new bill of sale with a later date would likely put OP at a lot of risk of being pinned with responsibility for anything done with the truck since the date of the actual sale.

OP, get in touch with DMV, make sure you filed the transfer notification at the time of the sale, if you didn't, do it ASAP. And then ignore the guy/tell him to pound sand.
Gigemags05
AG
That's why I said if it was someone I knew I wouldn't have an issue with it.

If I didn't know them, no way I would do it
TexasRebel
AG
Why would a ranch truck have to be registered?
Beckdiesel03
AG
I looked up my paperwork and had filed the transfer with the state so I just told him I wasn't going to do it. And yes my whole hesitation was that it put me responsible for the truck for the past 15 months and I have no clue what could have happened. It WAS a ranch truck that the guy is now selling to another dude and wanted me to pretend like I was selling to 2nd dude. Anyways he was fine with everything when I told him about filing.
Satellite of Love
If he were to driverify it off the ranch (which would probably happen), it needs to be registered.
Olag00
AG
The guy should be able to go to DMV and get a new one. When they ask why it didn't happen last year tell them it wasn't driven. You pay for both years, not even sure there was a fine. it happened to me a few years back when the renew dates were were like 11/12 or something. I kept thinking the other number was the renewal but i was a year late. No big deal.

Edit to add, I figured out I was late when I went online to try and renew and it said I was past due and had to go to DMV.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.