Barn find 1931 Chevrolet

4,174 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by hillcountryag86
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
locogringo said:

Quote:

It's interesting some of you don't want the exterior touched. Is it because of originality? The paint is dull and I'm sure a good body person could restore some shine.

But there are areas that seem to be beyond a good "buffing."

I just assumed the car would need a complete paint job.

Thank you for your comments and help.

I would say the first thing you do is wash it up a bit, tear that headliner out (but don't throw it away, put it in a box and throw it in the back), lay some blankets across the seat or a piece of plywood with blanket on top if the seat is that far gone. Get it running (not as hard as you might think), get it stopping (again, not too hard). Then, let it be like that for a month or 2, enjoy it, do some research to know what you have (rareity of that condition), THEN make the decision to either sell it, keep it with some small fixes (headliner, seat, etc), or keep it with large fixes (paint, etc.)

Depending on what part of the hill country you are in, I am very willing to help you out however, from extracting it from that barn to getting it running, anything to help that beautiful car be enjoyed again.
Great advice to take it slowly. Thanks.

And to be clear, I don't own this. Am hopeful but do not have it.
lb3
AG
Centerpole90
AG
I think I still have a running Blue Flame 6 that I took out of a '49 Advanced Design truck when I substituted in a 261. We crated it up and stuck it in a barn. That engine spanned from sometime the 20s to 54 with improvements.
Gigemags05
AG
Sometimes the patina look can be pretty cool. But in this case, I think a full paint job is much more fitting.

Honestly, I think the patina thing is really a fad, and will probably pass. It does look good on some old pick ups, etc. but not for a car like this.
Centerpole90
AG
Gigemags05 said:

Honestly, I think the patina thing is really a fad, and will probably pass.
I like patina vehicles done RIGHT (that's a key phrase). I like the look a lot; but I agree it that I think it's a fad that will pass. I believe TRUE survivors with good patina will always be classic and have their place and eventually the more forced ones (and certainly all fauxtina) will go out of style.

Having said that - a patina survivor vehicle can be painted anytime. Anytime. Not so much going the other way.
GrapevineAg
AG
Nice looking car. I hope you acquire it and get it back on the road! I'm all for originality, but I'm not a fan of the patina thing - I prefer a good paint job. Of course, once it's yours, do whatever you want with it.
coppag92
AG
Wow! Awesome find and a very complete car. Do not turn that into rat rod.
Burdizzo
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I think I still have a running Blue Flame 6 that I took out of a '49 Advanced Design truck when I substituted in a 261. We crated it up and stuck it in a barn. That engine spanned from sometime the 20s to 54 with improvements.

You learn something new every day. I was surprised to see the picture of an OHV engine in this car. I was expecting a flathead. I had to go read the wikipedia page to learn about Chevy's OHV engines that started in the 20's. In fact, one of the photos on the wiki page is very similar to the one on this thread.
tamc91
AG
Based on your handle you might consider reaching out to the antique car group in Fredericksburg / Kerrville area. My FIL is in F'burg and although more of a hot rodder, he knows a lot of those folks and has helped them out on some paint and part searches.

Although it looks like this car is better suited to be a restoration versus a hot rod, my FIL's basic process is to pull everything out, clean, repair what can be, replace critical drive train items, repaint, replace critical interior / accessories that cannot be repaired (i.e., old rubber, upholstery, etc.), get it running, then fine tune and replace non-critical stuff. He seems to have 5-6 different subtasks going at all times so when he gets bored or hits a snag he can switch to something else. He does all of his own painting, so upholstery and re-chroming is basically the only thing he sends out.

A big shop or extra garage bay is important.
hillcountryag86
AG
Thank you. I am close to Kerrville and Fredericksburg. If I do get the car, I'll find the club.

Thank you
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.