Anyone DIY remote start?

1,859 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
Aero95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to buy/install one on wife's 06 Explorer. I think I want a Viper unit of some flavor. Anyone install one of these systems before? Any advantage to paying more from Crutchfield? Perhaps they have install kits or better documentation in exchange for higher price? Or just buy from cheapest outlet and find schematics on the web?

I'm confident enough in my skills concerning general electrical work...I've done enough car stereo installation, have and can use a multi meter, read a schematic, etc. I've built harnesses and done avionics work on my plane, etc. Just wondering if these remote start systems are tricky or just a matter of working through the connections.

TIA
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I suggest you go with Idatalink.

Look on their website. lotta cool features and very DIY friendly.
Aero95
AG
Thanks! The hc2352ac looks like a winner, but it seems that they only sell thru dealers and are not DIY. There is an eBay seller (and I have a 10% eBay bucks coupon for today!) but I suspect the seller is a dealer selling out the back door. I'm not opposed to that, but can't tell if such a purchase would come with an installation guide and any programming bits.

Where have you purchased them?
JSKolache
AG
there was a thread on this abt 2 months ago, might find info in there.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aero95 said:

Thanks! The hc2352ac looks like a winner, but it seems that they only sell thru dealers and are not DIY. There is an eBay seller (and I have a 10% eBay bucks coupon for today!) but I suspect the seller is a dealer selling out the back door. I'm not opposed to that, but can't tell if such a purchase would come with an installation guide and any programming bits.

Where have you purchased them?
Ive bought from eBay, actually a vendor https://www.soundoftristate.com/ who has a store on eBay, and the module was cheap. I integrated a Kenwood 572 DVD/Nav head unit in, and was able to keep SYNC, steering wheel controls and it even reads OBD data like tire pressure etc.

No affiliation to website, just bought and got good service.

green7
anyone know a shop in houston that does installs of either idatalink or evo-one?
Aero95
AG
1ags, I've started the installation of the idatalink kit and was wondering if you have any idea where the relay for auto lights is located. Apparently I need to connect a wire there and cut a jumper between two pins and I don't know where to look. I'm hard-wiring and wish I knew/purchased an interfacing harness for the explorer...

I'm very impressed with the kit and instructions so far. Looking forward to finishing tonight as were getting another polar blast and I want a happy wife.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Aero95 said:

1ags, I've started the installation of the idatalink kit and was wondering if you have any idea where the relay for auto lights is located. Apparently I need to connect a wire there and cut a jumper between two pins and I don't know where to look. I'm hard-wiring and wish I knew/purchased an interfacing harness for the explorer...

I'm very impressed with the kit and instructions so far. Looking forward to finishing tonight as were getting another polar blast and I want a happy wife.
IIRC the Autolamps is controlled by the Light Control Module.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.