70 GTO

3,204 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by malenurse
Mert2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question: What value range (price tag) would you put on this car?

I'm selling my play car (70 GOAT) and I'm at a bit of a loss about how much it might be worth. I know how much money I paid for it, how much I've put in over the years (approximately) and I have a value in mind. I've also looked at Ebay, classiccars, craigslist, carsforsale, etc. for pricing comps.

Anyone interested? LOL, I'm selling because my kids (4) are consuming all of my time and money.

The Fife
At the advertised price, I'll go ahead and take it.
Burdizzo
AG
You always ended up putting more into them than they are worth on the open market. O know that doesn't give you a number. Just my experience

Good luck. 1970 was my favorite year for goats. My brother had one in the late 1970s until some lady pulled out in front of him an totalled it. By the time my brother owned it it was a ragged out, rattling, GM bomber, but it was still fun to ride in.

/Obligatory craiglist email: What is the lowest you are willing to take for this car?
IntensivePurposes
AG
Nice car. Selling a classic is honestly more about pricing strategy. If someone wants it, its worth what they will pay for it.

My advice: price it about $7-8k more than you want for it, with the intention of negotiating. These things carry a market value, but its very subjective.

See if this gets any results

Valuation Tool

clintaggie04
AG
Nm.
OilAggie
AG
I'm intrigued.
The Fife
OilAggie said:

I'm intrigued.
It's a Pontiac, not an Olds.
aggiebq03+
The Fife said:

OilAggie said:

I'm intrigued.

What's a Pontiac or Olds? /millenial
OilAggie
AG
The Fife said:

OilAggie said:

I'm intrigued.

Lol nice
smucket
AG
Just bought a '69, which is quite different but I'll give you my thoughts:

I paid $47.5 for a frame-off restored, non matching numbers but true GTO engine/body

I wanted the flip-down lights, which I don't think they offered on the '70 but I could be wrong

I did not want any engine or body work, and I wanted a convertible. So I was willing to pay more for no hassle and to get what I wanted.

As someone else said, I think I was the marginal bidder because my grandparents had a '69 GTO and its purchase was nostalgic for me. I would not have bought a '70. Someone else may though.

I would guess a numbers matching '70 GTO should go for around $40-$50 depending on shape. If you can verify its background then maybe more. If it's in bad shape you could get considerably less.
smucket
AG
Here's the pic of mine, may help for benchmarking value. The guy I bought from was not willing to go below $47.5, and fought me at that price for several weeks

Burdizzo
AG
Correct. 1970 did not have pop up headlights.
Mert2003
AG
Smucket / IntensivePurposes - thanks for the feedback. As Burdizzo said, the pop up lights were not available on the 70 model. I agree 100% with your take regarding willingness to pay for 69, but not a 70. I bought mine, because I was wanted to add my own touch to the engine (totally rebuilt), and had to have things like hood tac, red/black combo, and rag top. I was only looking for 70-71 1/2 models (before they went to that weird hood and nose for 72).

Smucket - what site did you find the car on?

I'm expecting (looking for) somewhere between $20K - $30K.

OilAggie
AG
How long have you owned it?
Mert2003
AG
OilAggie - I've owned it going on 6 years. I'm the 3rd owner by way of Virginia and then Georgia.
MrJonMan
AG
Good looking car
OilAggie
AG
Mert2003 said:

OilAggie - I've owned it going on 6 years. I'm the 3rd owner by way of Virginia and then Georgia.
Am i understanding this right. You bought it for $45,000 six years ago, and are willing to part ways with it in the 20-30k range?
meggy09
AG
Got a little confusing, but that's a different poster with different car.
The Fife
20-30 makes sense to me. If try and advertise nationally because Houston + no A/C is probably going to limit your market some.
OilAggie
AG
meggy09 said:

Got a little confusing, but that's a different poster with different car.

Oops my bad.
Mert2003
AG
OilAggie - I wish it were a $47K GOAT. Now maybe if I painted it (total strip down, etc)...

Thanks Fife...I'm not experiencing local bias, as I have been contacted by several nice men from Nigeria.

...totally kidding
Mert2003
AG
GIANT UPDATE:

Car is sold...which is the side story. The buyer is the main story...a man outa Tulsa, OK who is infamous on this site (and the rest of the web).

None other than Biker Fox (his real name now).
barney94
Ham Slice MRE
sts7049
AG
Burdizzo
AG
I didn't know he had two nickels to rub together.
malenurse
AG
IntensivePurposes said:

Nice car. Selling a classic is honestly more about pricing strategy. If someone wants it, its worth what they will pay for it.

My advice: price it about $7-8k more than you want for it, with the intention of negotiating. These things carry a market value, but its very subjective.

See if this gets any results

Valuation Tool

HOOOOOOLYYYYYY SHEEEEEEEEET!

According to that valuation tool, my 1970 442 Convertible (which I estimate is $30-40K) is worth $142,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.