New BMW But with a Twist (of the Wrist)

2,345 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by IDAGG
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been lusting over one of these ever since watching Long Way Round almost 10 years ago but only had the budget for a KLR (actually several KLRs), a DRZ, and a now for sale GS PD.

Yes, that's the real license plate but the PO doesn't think I can register it and keep it. Anyone know if that's true?

2007 R1200GSA

mellison
AG
Nice ride! I have a smaller G650GS that I use to get to work and back when the weather is nice. Ride safe!
clarythedrill
I would love to fly to Maine and buy one of those and take off on a 4 month journey west, weaving in and out of US and canada, eventually ending in Nome, Alaska. Then head back south back into the lower 48 and travel south down the west coast and then back east on Rt. 66. Just travel and see the country. But family.
drumboy
AG
clarythedrill said:

I would love to fly to Maine and buy one of those and take off on a 4 month journey west, weaving in and out of US and canada, eventually ending in Nome, Alaska. Then head back south back into the lower 48 and travel south down the west coast and then back east on Rt. 66. Just travel and see the country. But family.
Same for me but start in either Key West or Fairbanks. Problem with both is the bike will be much more expensive than anywhere else. I learned that when my KLR engine cratered in Alaska and every bike (not much selection) was a couple grand more than I could sell it for once I got back to Houston other than an 83 pimp Goldwing Aspencade but it had brake issues.
clarythedrill
drumboy said:

clarythedrill said:

Same for me but start in either Key West or Fairbanks. Problem with both is the bike will be much more expensive than anywhere else. I learned that when my KLR engine cratered in Alaska and every bike (not much selection) was a couple grand more than I could sell it for once I got back to Houston other than an 83 pimp Goldwing Aspencade but it had brake issues.
Maintenance would definitely be a worry for me, even if in warranty it would be difficult to find a BMW dealer if anything happened. I have heard that the shaft drives in BMWs were prone to failing, is that true or just a wives tail? Not sure the newer Triumphs are any better in the reliability department.

Your BMW is really nice, hope you enjoy it.
JSKolache
AG
Sweet. Now watch Long Way Down on Hulu/Netlix.
drumboy
AG
It's the rear diff that has the bad rep and supposedly it was mainly the sealed units that blew up.
drumboy
AG
I watched that with a buddy in a Mexico trip in 08 or 09 and that's what got me wanting one. I started watching it again yesterday and I still think the pre 05 1150gs bikes they had were ugly.
coppag92
AG
Whatever you do, DO NOT stick a K&N oil filter on it. Have read numerous threads about those blowing up and leaking going down the road.

Nice bike though. Need to sign up for Two Wheel Texans website. Lots of guys with those bikes on there.
drumboy
AG
I'm an OG on TWT and that's where I found this. I need to get the Texas Adv sticker for this bike now.
tlepoC
AG
I've really been craving a f800gs but hate the new cladding. 2013 seemed the perfect style
Guitarsoup
AG
Remember that the safest way to ride is by splitting lanes!
Aero95
AG
Excellent choice! It should run forever.

I had a K1200RS for many years and it was perfect. I want a GS next, whenever that might be.
IDAGG
AG
drumboy said:

It's the rear diff that has the bad rep and supposedly it was mainly the sealed units that blew up.
Yup. The R1200 bikes after 2007 or so had a drain plug in the final drive so that they can be easily drained and refilled. The originals that started in '05 had sealed units and "forever" oil. Dumb idea. I have also heard that there was some manufacturing variances with the the first few years of the 1200s that led to some final drive failures. I have an '05 R1200RT with no final drive drain plug and the dealer drains and refills the final drive oil every 12k miles per the new BMW recommendation after they realized the error of their ways. It can be done, it is just a PITA w/o a drain plug. Knock on wood, I have over almost 60K on my bike and the final drive hasn't failed yet. It will cruise at 80 all day long.

Enjoy the hell out of your new ride. That is a dang fine bike!

AgEng06
AG
clarythedrill said:

wives tail?

Rule #1
drumboy
AG
Regarding final drive, when I was in Alaska I talked to some guys on GS PDs and one showed me a picture of his buddy's bike after the final drive locked up or something and the whole rear end & wheel violently twisted at highway speeds sending the dude flying. Luckily he was OK but that was the first time I realized that the single swingarm is attached only to the rear diff and shock.

I like the F800GS but wish it was cheaper cause the used ones are priced close to the 1200. The F650GS has the same engine, I believe.
mellison
AG
It's a different tune.
Buck O Five
AG
I saw a dude in Houston rush hour driving one of these in socks and sandals, rocking dual revolvers in hip holsters.
drumboy
AG
Buck O Five said:

I saw a dude in Houston rush hour driving one of these in socks and sandals, rocking dual revolvers in hip holsters.

Should've waved hello to me!
IDAGG
AG
Buck O Five said:

Brings new meaning to ATGATT

"All The Guns All The Time"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.