Muahahahaha

6,260 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MouthBQ98
Dumpster Fire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1agswitchin4lanes said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Cat back Gibson exhaust is on, the replacement intermediate pipes, new studs and bolts, seals and gaskets, and flowmaster cats to replace the factory cats that "suddenly rusted out" arrive tomorrow.
Vid?
let's hear it!
TexasRebel
AG
Open long tube header weekend!!
Silvy
AG
TexasRebel said:

Open long tube header daily!!

FIFM
MouthBQ98
AG
I might have to put the headers on without the cats for a bit just to see what it is like.

It's still a bit buzzy like V6 instead of grumbly like a big V8, but at least it doesn't sound like a fart can on a civic.
MouthBQ98
AG
It ended up being a lot more work than I had hoped, but I have the headers on. I am having to lengthen the O2 sensor wires. Tomorrow I am inserting the midpipes to test fit, then cutting them and inserting the flowmaster cats. I may clamp them for now, or may weld them. We'll see how it goes. The hardest part is going to be keeping everything lined up and fitting the cats into a spot not originally designed for them.

Oh yeah, BOTH cast iron manifolds had substantial cracking. Both are less than 2 years old. An obvious design defect IMHO, but not my problem anymore. Time to get to sleep so I can resume work tomorrow.
MouthBQ98
AG
Finally done. Fabbing an exhaust is tiresome work. Fortunately, I was basically able to take factory replacement stuff and splice in what I wanted, and it fit. I am scratched and banged up, and tired as hell, but it sounded nice when I did a test rev, and no more puf puf puffing from the manifold cracks. Long tube headers, slightly oversized flowmaster cats (so I comply with the spirit, if not the anal retentive letter of the law), upsized catback exhaust. I'll get to see if it makes any difference on this tired old V6...
KRamp90
highvelocity
AG
This board makes me laugh so much after a few margaritas
TSJ
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I'll get to see if it makes any difference on this tired old V6...
So powerful, he never made it home...
MouthBQ98
AG
It was mostly because I am tired of screwing with the cracked manifolds, and I like to modify stock stuff just because. I had a bit of a problem with the rear passenger o2 sensor reading stuck or high, and am trying to work with it. I did some voltage monitoring, and tightened up the exhaust to make sure outside air isn't being pulled in.

We're talking about an engine design with origins from the 80's, and uses a distributor. It churns out a blistering 170hp stock. Every little bit can't hurt.
MouthBQ98
AG
Decided to replace all the O2 sensors. They are of unknown age and after looking at the wave forms with my scan tool I don't trust they are working properly. Voltages all over and I they don't seem to be cycling with the right frequency. Plus, I really boogered a couple of them up pretty good trying to remove them. We'll see what that does.
MouthBQ98
AG
Forgot to add one of my old cats had this weird buildup in it partly blocking it, and the other one was completely hollow, the entire element grid inside was destroyed and gone. How it wasn't throwing a code is beyond me.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.