Spacers vs leveling kit

4,151 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAG9
NWE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd love to level my F150 and a coworker showed me some Rough Country spacers for about $80 and told me "this is all you need. The shop will instal them for about $200."

Another buddy got his GMC leveled and had all four wheels/suspensions modified. He seems to believe "if you want it done RIGHT you do what I did"

Is there a difference in the two? I just want my front end to match the back end. I think that's like 3"?
TX_AG_10
AG
Bilstein 5100s.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'm not a super big fan of the spacers. The 5100s cost more but are a safer approach.
TecRecAg
AG
Don't cheap out on spacers
Charlie Conway
I put some spacers on my truck and I haven't had any problem with them so far with the 40k miles since they were installed, they're only 1.5 inches though I think, maybe 2. If I did it again though I would go with the Bilsteins.
BosAG06
AG
Another 5100 vote. Put them on my Tundra and have been very happy.
AgEng06
AG
Just do the 5100s
coolerguy12
AG
Did 5100s on my Tundra and I love it. Total cost was around $300 installed myself with an alignment at the shop.
mts6175
AG
This will explain it. Spacers are fine if it's a street queen, but if you do any kind of off-roading you are risking issues.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf
NWE
AG
Do I need 4 Bilsteins? or just two for front wheels?
Justified
I went with the spacers, the bilsteins were not available for mine yet. I'm sure by now they are.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Charlie Conway said:

I put some spacers on my truck and I haven't had any problem with them so far with the 40k miles since they were installed, they're only 1.5 inches though I think, maybe 2. If I did it again though I would go with the Bilsteins.

Pretty much my take, I have 70k on mine.
AgsMnn
AG
NWE said:

I'd love to level my F150 and a coworker showed me some Rough Country spacers for about $80 and told me "this is all you need. The shop will instal them for about $200."

Another buddy got his GMC leveled and had all four wheels/suspensions modified. He seems to believe "if you want it done RIGHT you do what I did"

Is there a difference in the two? I just want my front end to match the back end. I think that's like 3"?

It's always just 3"
p_bubel
AggieGunslinger said:

Charlie Conway said:

Pretty much my take, I have 70k on mine.
170k on mine. ( had a rear one blow out, but it was replaced under warranty)

---------------------

People did wheel just fine with spacers before Bilstein came out with this shock. Crazy to read, I know.

The one significant advantage that these bilsteins have is they tend to give longer travel and are generally a better shock than stock. (at least for the trucks) for smaller vehicles like mine they can be choppy and stiff.

If it's coming to time to replace the shocks/struts anyway they are a no brainer.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I am going to Bilstiens soon because of ride quality. I actually went in expecting to buy the shocks when I leveled my truck and my shop asked what I do with my truck, and they suggested the spacers. I haven't been disappointed at all, but I am starting to look for a better ride and I don't think I really need to swing for Fox or Kings so Bilstiens are on the top of the list.
JSKolache
AG
Spacers pre-load your shocks a little bit. So you gain height but lose marginal suspension performance.
mts6175
AG
NWE said:

Do I need 4 Bilsteins? or just two for front wheels?
You still need a block in the rear if you want more rake, but I'd replace all 4 corners. It will ride better.
mellison
AG
This might be more than the OP is looking to do but it's good to know what options there are. Right out of college, I bought a new 2005 Nissan Titan. I liked to go play in the desert but the truck wasn't set up very well for it. The suspension would bounce and bottom out too often. So, I got the mod itch and upgraded the suspension.

My suspension upgrade includes Swayaway front coil-overs and replacement upper control arms for the front. This allowed for a little lift in the front to add a slightly taller tire than stock. In the rear, I replaced the load leaf spring with a Deaver spring pack and the rear shocks with Donahoes for the added length. This added height to the rear to keep the stock rake and added flexibility to the rear. The parts cost about $2,200 in 2006.

Overall, what this did was provide a huge upgrade from the original Rancho suspension in terms of off-road drivability, more room for a taller tire (34" from 33" stock), better quality/longevity (180k miles so far), and only about 2.5" of height. I would say this package is comparable to the performance of a Ford Raptor without the wide body.

There are a lot of options out there from Fox, King, Bilstein, Swayaway, etc. You don't have to have a tall truck to have a good suspension. Also, you can have a tall truck with a bad suspension. OP is doing the right things by asking questions. Look at what these manufacturers offer on their websites to decide what you want to do. Then shop hard for a good price. You may be able to do the install yourself with a little help from some friends.
jefe95
AG
Do the 5100s add lift? Or just leveling?
mustang6tee8
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I'm not a super big fan of the spacers. The 5100s cost more but are a safer approach.
Do you know exactly which part number fits the 2014? It's not as easy to find as the 09-13 thanks to the control arms.

jefe- the 5100s level/lift up to about 2.75"
Justified
Mine is a 2014. That's why I went with spacers. The guy at the off road shop called bilstein for me and said it would be November before they came out but apparently not? I don't know what the difference would be?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
mustang6tee8 said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Do you know exactly which part number fits the 2014? It's not as easy to find as the 09-13 thanks to the control arms.

jefe- the 5100s level/lift up to about 2.75"
Nothing from Bilstein yet.

Just buy some 09-13 control arms.
Centerpole90
AG
Is the 5100 leveling kit suggestion also appropriate for F350?

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/F4-SE5-C765-H0-2005-2014-Super-Duty-Bilstein-BTS-Series-2-Leveling-Kit.html
Side-pocket16
AG
I installed the $80 dollar Rough Country kit the OP referenced on my brothers 2016 F-150. Went on exactly as planned, well written instructions. He has noticed no significant difference in ride quality or handling since installed, and it leveled it out very nicely. I'll try and get some pictures from him tomorrow. Truck lives on the street, close to 15k miles now and no issues.
Naveronski
AG
Rough Country.

Don't waste your money unless the harshest thing your truck sees is a pothole.

...and even then, they still suck.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Is bilstein ever going to release a new version of the 5100 for '14+ F150s? They've been saying "coming soon" since I got my truck in April '15.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Is bilstein ever going to release a new version of the 5100 for '14+ F150s? They've been saying "coming soon" since I got my truck in April '15.
Just get some 13 control arms.Moogs are 120/ea.
Aggietaco
AG
Or just use a spacer leveling kit. There's not much difference between them and the 5100s.
TXAG9
AG
If you have a 4x4, Bilstein just released their 5100 for the 2014. Just picked up a set from AJUSA.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.