Diesel X5

2,792 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HollywoodBQ
akaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering a 2011-2013 X5 with the diesel engine. Trying to find one under 60k miles. What do I need to know, besides the standard "don't own a BMW out of warranty". I don't mind a decent amount of wrenching, just looking for any particular gotchas with these. Thanks guys...
KY AG
AG
There was a thread on this subject a week or 2 ago if you search back a couple of pages.
f2foxes2001
AG
The diesels have been pretty good. Know 3 people with them and they love them. So long as you know that other **** breaks and is expensive, you're good. I say go for it. Full disclosure, recently retired wife's gas x5 & still have my 550.
CDUB98
AG
Probably don't need to limit to under 60k miles. That's nothing for a diesel. If the overall car is well maintained, you could save yourself some cash by looking at higher mileage.
txyaloo
AG
CDUB98 said:

Probably don't need to limit to under 60k miles. That's nothing for a diesel. If the overall car is well maintained, you could save yourself some cash by looking at higher mileage.
While the engine may be fine with >60k, the rest of the car will require constant maintenance. My X5 has 110,000. In the last year I've replaced 2 door carriers, 3 window regulators, both rear air bags, etc, etc. This is the 5th time I've done door carriers and window regulators.
CDUB98
AG
txyaloo said:

CDUB98 said:

While the engine may be fine with >60k, the rest of the car will require constant maintenance. My X5 has 110,000. In the last year I've replaced 2 door carriers, 3 window regulators, both rear air bags, etc, etc. This is the 5th time I've done door carriers and window regulators.
I don't disagree at all, but those are things that even regular maintenance cannot fix. You flat got a PITA vehicle.

I admit that I have never owned a Bimmer, but I hope your misfortune is not typical.
txyaloo
AG
CDUB98 said:

txyaloo said:

CDUB98 said:

I don't disagree at all, but those are things that even regular maintenance cannot fix. You flat got a PITA vehicle.

I admit that I have never owned a Bimmer, but I hope your misfortune is not typical.
It's pretty typical from the two that I've owned and others I know who have them. Mine's an E53 so it's possible the newer gens are better, but the E70 boards are filled with many similar issues.
BigRobSA
One of our best customers brings her X3 in ALL OF THE TIME.

WildcatAg
AG
txyaloo said:

My X5 has 110,000. In the last year I've replaced 2 door carriers, 3 window regulators, both rear air bags, etc, etc. This is the 5th time I've done door carriers and window regulators.
I have heard for several years these types of things break "routinely" on BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. Is there a reason this type of stuff breaks on German cars when it seems that US and Japanese based car companies have figured out this technology?
Aero95
AG
I saw a cross post on ing of my airplane boards for a very nice diesel X5 on that boulder craigslist...I wish I could go get it now!
AggieRob93
AG
BigRobSA said:

That's good to know. I may be next. Lol. Or fml.

Leaking oil pan gasket, 2008 x3 n52. A number of things I'll take on, but for this issue on this vehicle - no thanks. Looking to have done at next oil change, which is another 2000 miles. Email is AggieRob93 at g m a i l .com.
akaggie05
AG
Appreciate everyone's input. I've been a TDI guy for a while now and VW is making my decision to part ways pretty easy with the buyback. Been lurking on some of the bimmer boards recently and it's been interesting to compare the two cultures (VW guys doing engine swaps in their garage vs. BMW owners beetching about paying the dealership $550 to install a new battery). Lol.
Aero95
AG
The second or third owners talk about engine swaps. At least with the older models...

A friend is getting an M3 engine swapped into his E46 sedan (like mine, already with 6MT) right now. I helped my brother rebuild his engine earlier this year...nothing terribly exotic about that process.

I wish I could buy, store, and preserve an E46 and E39 to use in the future...I'm not interested in iDrive and similar silly stuff. I just want a great driving experience in a vehicle that has an engine, transmission, and differential in order from front to back as God intended! And no super invasive do-dads that go bad after 100k miles. /yells at cloud
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The issue I have with BMWs is the accoutrements things are the things that fail.

The engine and trans typically have few issues.

Sensors, switches, speakers, door handle carriers, window regulators, blend door actuators, "Seat twist", etc.

These little things that are a PITA to fix if you're a weekend warrior that the dealer knows you cant fix easily.

X53 window regulators and door carriers are particularly infuriating.

BigRobSA
AggieRob93 said:

BigRobSA said:

Leaking oil pan gasket, 2008 x3 n52. A number of things I'll take on, but for this issue on this vehicle - no thanks. Looking to have done at next oil change, which is another 2000 miles. Email is AggieRob93 at g m a i l .com.

I'm in Iowa right now, or else I'd help.
txyaloo
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

The issue I have with BMWs is the accoutrements things are the things that fail.

Sensors, switches, speakers, door handle carriers, window regulators, blend door actuators, "Seat twist", etc.

These little things that are a PITA to fix if you're a weekend warrior that the dealer knows you cant fix easily.

IDK, timing chain guides that explode around 100k on the M62 engine is a pretty big issue. Haven't seen that on the newer V8s, but I wouldn't put it past BMW to have another engineering "oopsie" like that. I know the N62s have issues with valve seals. Then you have the wonderful VANOS issues that make the cars sound like a diesel.

Don't forget about the entire cooling systems needing to be replaced at around 100k. My expansion tank sprung a leak right around then as did my radiator. My water pump self destructed on the side of I10 in west Texas causing a $1500 tow since parts shops out there don't carry BMW parts and there weren't any indy mechanics. I blame most of that on me since I should have known better from my E39 which had many of the same issues.
AggieRob93
AG
BigRobSA said:

AggieRob93 said:

BigRobSA said:

I'm in Iowa right now, or else I'd help.

Fml it is.

And sorry OP for the derail on your thread.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
txyaloo said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

IDK, timing chain guides that explode around 100k on the M62 engine is a pretty big issue. Haven't seen that on the newer V8s, but I wouldn't put it past BMW to have another engineering "oopsie" like that. I know the N62s have issues with valve seals. Then you have the wonderful VANOS issues that make the cars sound like a diesel.

Don't forget about the entire cooling systems needing to be replaced at around 100k. My expansion tank sprung a leak right around then as did my radiator. My water pump self destructed on the side of I10 in west Texas causing a $1500 tow since parts shops out there don't carry BMW parts and there weren't any indy mechanics. I blame most of that on me since I should have known better from my E39 which had many of the same issues.
A lot of M62 guys I know have run 150K + without touching the guides. My opinion is that if the oil is changed regularly with a good oil, they last a lot longer. Sadly once these cars hit their 3rd and 4th owner, they end up being underfilled with WalMarts finest oil or run much longer than they should on it.

Fortunately my car is a Non-Vanos.

Did my cooling system already at 55K, but it's been fine since then.
akaggie05
AG
Update: picked up a 2013 X5 diesel about a week ago (71k miles, one owner, very clean inside and out). Been absolutely thrilled with it so far... thanks for everyone's recs. Will complete rule 1 compliance when the weather clears up and I can take some better pics.

Now for the part where you guys get to laugh at me (and say "I told you so" for owning a BMW out of warranty). Driving home from work last night it threw a CEL. Got home and pulled out my VAG-COM (leftover from my TDI days) and ran VCDS in ODB mode to do a simple code pull. Found code P204F. Very scarce level of info out there specific to BMWs (appears to be a manufacturer-specific code). Quite a few hits on Ford and GM diesels throwing the same code linked to a problem with the SCR system (DEF tank sensors, injector pressure, etc). Haven't noticed any change in performance or anything, my next plan is to check both DEF tanks, make sure they're topped off (although I'm pretty sure I'd be getting a different idiot light or message saying if the DEF was almost empty). The fun begins...
txyaloo
AG
I suggest setting up a diagnostic laptop now. You'll likely need it in the future. It needs to run Windows 2000 or XP. Buy an INPA K+ DCAN cable on ebay. This package comes with all of the diagnostic SW plus the cable

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-DCAN-OBD2-USB-Cable-FTDI-FT232RQ-BMW-Tools-INPA-EDIABAS-NCS-EXPERT-/122190866899?hash=item1c7324a9d3:gNoAAOSwHMJYCDyh&item=122190866899&vxp=mtr]http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-DCAN-OBD2-USB-Cable-FTDI-FT232RQ-BMW-Tools-INPA-EDIABAS-NCS-EXPERT-/122190866899?hash=item1c7324a9d3:gNoAAOSwHMJYCDyh&item=122190866899&vxp=mtr[/url]

It'll allow you to run the dealership diagnostics and pinpoint tests as well as code certain options like lights, horns, windows, battery replacements, etc.
MC Clap Yo Handz
AG
If you were in Georgia, you could buy my wife's 2013 X5d that I'm about to put up for sale! Still under warranty with 40,000 miles.

As far as issues go, we had a door lock issue that they just fixed and we just replaced the tires and got an alignment. Other than that, it's been the usual oil change/rotate or other scheduled maitenance that we have had done. Wife would like another one.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Aero95 said:

I wish I could buy, store, and preserve an E46 and E39 to use in the future...I'm not interested in iDrive and similar silly stuff.
I sold my E46 M3 when I moved to Australia 9 years ago.
I want that car back so bad. Easily my second biggest regret from my move to Australia. Biggest regret was selling my 1977 VW Bus.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.