Talk me into or out of this...

8,476 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Duncan Idaho
Endo Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blue Manual M3 Convertible

I've been following these for a while. I'm not fully sold on an M3 vs other options, but this is the M3 I would want. I've also considered Mustang and Camaro. Requirements are fun convertible, at least semi reasonable back seat, manual transmission.

Thoughts?!?
TexasRebel
AG
I shall defy your orders and remain neutral.
Endo Ag
AG
TexasRebel said:

I shall defy your orders and remain neutral.
TexasRebel
AG
Seriously though...

The mustang back seat is nearly useless in the coupe, but might be better in the 'vert.
The 2015 Camaros were pretty tiny back there, too... I doubt the '17s improved as far as space goes.

If you like trunk space: Mustang.

While the Performance Pack on the mustang is nice, you might think the gearing is too short... many do... I don't.

I cannot speak to the M3, but I'm glad they offer stick!
SteveA
AG
No BMW without warranty.
Agmechanic
AG
Stay away from BMW
drumboy
AG
You're gonna need one of these if you get the M3.

permabull
AG
f2foxes2001
AG
mustang and camaro will be cheap to own. bimmer will be $$$$. that said, I have a 550i with the m sport and the sport transmission. the m3 with a stick would be an unbelievable barrel of monkeys to drive. As much as I hate spending $$$ maintaining this car, I would take a M3 with a stick any day over the camaro/mustang. just saying.
The Fife
drumboy said:

I thought you only needed those if you were driving around pelicans?
KY AG
AG
Do it.
FlyFish95
f2foxes2001 said:

mustang and camaro will be cheap to own. bimmer will be $$$$. that said, I have a 550i with the m sport and the sport transmission. the m3 with a stick would be an unbelievable barrel of monkeys to drive. As much as I hate spending $$$ maintaining this car, I would take a M3 with a stick any day over the camaro/mustang. just saying.

Get ready to be pissed off every time you get a service bill on it. I found it was about 3x what you'd spend on something else. Will never own another European car.
Heights Ag 06
AG
I mostly lurk around here, but couldn't resist this one. I am on my second e92 M3, one was manual transmission and current one is DCT. Prior to the M3, I had never owned a German car before, so I was worried about maintenance, reliability, etc. My experience has been great so far - I have never had to do anything other than routine maintenance - brakes, tires, oil, brake fluid (all of this compounded by time on the track). No other issues - not a single one. The e92 M3 (or e93 in your case) is extremely reliable, BUT if something does go wrong, expect it to cost an arm and a leg. Example, my buddy just had a problem with his oil pan that seemed pretty basic - it was a $2,300 fix at an indy shop. There have also been a number of issues with rod bearings causing engine failure, which is about a $20,000 problem (rare, but catastrophic). For that reason, I have always maintained an aftermarket warranty.

As for maintenance, expect everything to cost more. Oil change at the dealership is about $300, but you can do it yourself for about $120 or about $200 at an indy shop. Brakes are $$$$ - about $1500 for 4 corners of brake pads and rotors. Tires can be expensive as well - plan on $1300.

That said, I am in love with the e92 M3 - I am convinced there is no other car that can do DD duty, comfortably put kids in the back, and go all day at the track for about $40k. It is a beast on track and the sound is intoxicating (especially with an aftermarket exhaust). Engine winds to 8400 RPM.

I suggest you drive both the manual and the DCT. My first one was manual because I was convinced sports cars only came in manual (or should). That said, the DCT gets so much more out this engine - shifts are so fast and so much fun - only thing similar is Porsche's PDK. It is awesome.

Another thing to be aware of is that the car is a blast when driven at the limit, but is very tame otherwise. You have to wind this engine up (over 5000 rpm) to really feel the power and have fun - which is very hard to do legally. A 335i or comparable car will feel faster around town with higher low-end torque. So if you don't plan to take it to the track (I assume not - convertible), you may want to consider that. Either way, the car is a blast, just don't expect it to be a stoplight racer.

Finally, as to that specific car. I think the price is too high. Convertibles sell for much less than the coupe or the sedan versions as they are much heavier and have become less desirable. For reference, earlier this year, I paid $40k for my e92 with competition package, fully loaded, 21k miles and a full warranty through the end of 2019.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
drumboy
AG
The Fife said:

drumboy said:

I thought you only needed those if you were driving around pelicans?
Well with that M3 you'll be drowning in this.
Dill-Ag13
AG
If you are able and can stomach it, put aside $300/month for maintenance and repairs...
Nom de Plume
AG
$300 oil changes?!

Glad I didn't go that direction. I very badly wanted an M5 at one point.

But, OP, yes, get the M3!
texsn95
AG
Do it. Learn to do your own maintenance and cut the inflated dealership costs by 1/3. I have an 06 M5 and have an independent mechanic picked out in case something comes up that's out of my reach.
willtackleforfood
AG
Have owned an M3 convertible, 325IS and 328i....

Bought a 2017 Mustang 5.0 convertible recently with everything you can get on it. Favorite car I have ever owned. Lots of fun - lots less.

Can't go wrong with either though.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

You're gonna need a whole bunch of these if you get the M3.

JSKolache
AG
Stop buying used German, this has already been covered.
Aero95
AG
Do it!

I bought my 04 with 104k on it and no warranty...just turned 140k and still have no regrets.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
It comes with 19 wheels. You can sell the other 15 and the price drops some too.

Where you at these days, OP?
javajaws
AG
I've owned 3 BMWs. I never had ANY major problems with any of them, but they were all new. I would never want to own one not under warranty unless I had a crap ton of money floating around (and then I'd just buy/lease a new one). The problem is that even minor stuff costs a lot to get fixed not to mention the big things.
willtackleforfood
AG
Coming home from dropping the boys off at school today - broken down BMW in front of our neighborhood obstructing traffic.

Going for my run this evening - broken down BMW blocking 1 of 2 lanes on major street.

Coincidental or .....
f2foxes2001
AG
you're right. I am about to drop a grand on my 550i between an oil change and my TPMS that has malfunctioned on the front right tire. throw in a another $400 worth of other bull **** and there you go. that said, it's paid for and I budget around $2000/year to fix it. When I put my right foot in it though, it's more fun than a bag of sweet leaf and a bus load of good looking sorostitutes on their way back to the sorority house after a party. some people pay big bucks for hunting/fishing/media/etc. Others pay to participate in the abusive relationship that is Texas A&M Football (I also do this). you just have to pick how you want to dole out yo' dollas.
Endo Ag
AG
Thanks for all the replies. I expected more comments about heavy hard top convertible than reliability. This would end up being a date night and fair weather commuter, so I'm not too worried about reliability. (Boy, those sound like famous last words). A BMW wouldn't be my first choice, but compared to the options, it seems to fit my wants the best, and I've always had a hardon for M3s. I'll see how negotiable the guy is and go from there.

Any thoughts on aftermarket warranties?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I've owned three used 7 series. A big part is all about how the car was taken care of before by the previous owner. Even then it there are constantly nickel and dime little things.

That being said even with a big sedan, the driving experience is fantastic when it's sorted out.
Heights Ag 06
AG
Endo Ag - If you don't care to much about the added weight and you are just using it for fair weather commuting and date nights, I think the convertible will be great and you will love the sound of the exhaust with the top down. As for warranties, USAA (if you have access to it) and Fidelity have both paid well for my friends' M3's (I have yet to have to use my warranty).

Another thing to think about - the later production 2011 models have all the same updates as the last run in 2013. You ought to be able to find a low mileage 2011-2013 that has been well cared for around $35 to $38k. I agree with others that it is very important to make sure all services have been completed and that you get a PPI done prior to purchase.

Definitely go for it!! You will love it.
GigemAgs31
AG
I'll sell you my E46 M3 for much cheaper.

The two M3's I've owned have been extremely reliable and both were daily drivers. With that said I'd make sure to watch out for the rod bearings on e90 m3's.
Tagguy
AG
Endo Ag
AG
Past the point of Dave being relevant in my life. Great advice for many.
Gator2_01
AG
Heights Ag 06 said:

That said, I am in love with the e92 M3 - I am convinced there is no other car that can do DD duty, comfortably put kids in the back, and go all day at the track for about $40k. It is a beast on track and the sound is intoxicating (especially with an aftermarket exhaust). Engine winds to 8400 RPM.

Motortrend disagrees with you as of 2016!

I owned a E60 550i (M-sport + SMG) which was my absolute favorite car up until I bought the 2016 Camaro SS. I did have some issues with it which were covered under CPO warranty (suspension issue which was $3500+); other than that zero issues out until 100k miles when I sold it - it has had zero issues since then.

I absolutely love the new Camaro - that has been sufficiently documented on this forum. If you get a used M3 I HIGHLY suggest an aftermarket warranty just in case. Basic maintenance is a level more expensive than your GM/Ford vehicles, but tires should be pretty equivalent across the models you're looking at.

Can't go wrong with the three you're looking at. Great redesigns on the Camaro and Mustang while your M3 will always be a coveted vehicle. Find the one that works best for you!
Endo Ag
AG
I made the guy an offer and we got close, but couldn't seal the deal. He has an emotional attachment to his car that I wasn't going to buy him out of. I'm going to keep looking and I'm sure I'll come up with something. I'm in no hurry. I really should have test drove the new Camaro and I might even wait for the reveal of the 2018 Mustang to make a choice.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

the driving experience is fantastic when it's sorted out

That's true, but its still pretty good with other, more reliable and less costly vehicles.
drumboy
AG
Might get a BMW motorcycle tomorrow but this thread gots me scared.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.